What Power Supply to get

Im getting Dual geforce 9800 GTX that require 26 min amp each... using nforce ultra sli MBoard and 4gb of ram, but my main concern is finding a psu thats stout enough to run everything without slowing down in games... wanted to get some ideas of good psu with dual 12v that have 30 amps per rail to make sure the cards can perform
15 answers Last reply
More about what power supply
  1. Its geforce 9800 GTX+ also btw, but im thinking about gettin either of these, has the specs i need and a good price.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817176002
    and
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817176001
  2. Anybody? lol any help would be great... last thing i wanna do is buy a psu that isnt gonna power my rig...i can post more info about the setup if needed.
  3. I suggest you go for Corsair.
  4. @slong are you buying 2 9800GTX+ now or you have 1 already and going with the 2nd one now???

    And ct1615 has provided all the best possible options...
    Out of those, I would choose the Corsair or the PCP&S...
    Not that 2 9800GTX+ require 750W...but these PSUs are better and can be used to power even higher powered dual graphics card setup...
  5. I would go for something that has at least 850 watts. since the rule of thumb of psu is multiply the wattage the say it provides by 60% and that is what type of power supply you are actually getting. PEAK power and RMS power. for example, a 1000 watt power supply is actually a 600 watt power supply under full load at a constant rate. the power supply is the heart of the pc. then comes the cpu which is the brain power. anyways good luck hunting. just make sure you look at the reviews of actual customer. and not of manufactures for the psu. I found this out the hard way by going thru 5 psu until the 5th one was the right one fro my rig.
  6. Duesouth said:
    since the rule of thumb of psu is multiply the wattage the say it provides by 60% and that is what type of power supply you are actually getting. PEAK power and RMS power. for example, a 1000 watt power supply is actually a 600 watt power supply under full load at a constant rate.

    Never heard that rule of thumb.
    Here's some good reading
    http://www.motherboards.org/articles/guides/1487_7.html
  7. 750W is more than enough. It will work more than fine even with a 650W PSU.
  8. Duesouth said:
    I would go for something that has at least 850 watts. since the rule of thumb of psu is multiply the wattage the say it provides by 60% and that is what type of power supply you are actually getting. PEAK power and RMS power. for example, a 1000 watt power supply is actually a 600 watt power supply under full load at a constant rate.


    ....you just make up this "rule of thumb"?
  9. Im building a new gaming rig and these are the cards im going with(Geforce 9800gtx+)... the site said 24-26 amp for the card and thats a min... so figured i needed 2 12v rails pumping out this much or more out of each(1 for each card) i havent done dual cards before so not sure how the psu powers them both
  10. Duesouth said:
    I would go for something that has at least 850 watts. since the rule of thumb of psu is multiply the wattage the say it provides by 60% and that is what type of power supply you are actually getting. PEAK power and RMS power. for example, a 1000 watt power supply is actually a 600 watt power supply under full load at a constant rate. the power supply is the heart of the pc. then comes the cpu which is the brain power. anyways good luck hunting. just make sure you look at the reviews of actual customer. and not of manufactures for the psu. I found this out the hard way by going thru 5 psu until the 5th one was the right one fro my rig.

    That's an excellent rule of thumb--if you buy crappy PSUs.

    As an example of a good PSU, Hardware Secrets was able to pull 900W from the Corsair HX750 at 46C.
  11. slong said:
    Im building a new gaming rig and these are the cards im going with(Geforce 9800gtx+)... the site said 24-26 amp for the card and thats a min... so figured i needed 2 12v rails pumping out this much or more out of each(1 for each card) i havent done dual cards before so not sure how the psu powers them both


    you can power SLI off a single 12v rail (as well as 2,3, or 4), any of the PSU I linked can handle your set up with ease.
  12. Didn't see a budget there so I'm gonna throw a couple of ideas your way;

    http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=221202 - In my maching powering 2SLi'd Black Edit 260GTX cards

    My mate has 2 SLi'd 9800GTs in his machine and he only uses a 750w PSU
    I've not heard that rule of thumb before but knowing PCs well enough it really doesn't surprise me!
    Good luck shopping around though!

    xxMac
  13. maccas69 said:
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=221202 - In my maching powering 2SLi'd Black Edit 260GTX cards

    Why recommend a crappy PSU when several good quality ones have already been mentioned?
  14. theAnimal said:
    Why recommend a crappy PSU when several good quality ones have already been mentioned?


    and from a UK web site when the OP is across the pond
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Components