Asus M2N-E gets too cold?

Prospekt

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
I have a system that has an Asus M2N-E which loves to crash when it gets too cold. To test this I opened the window (snowing outside), turned a fan on, and took the side of the case. The computer blue screened within a couple of minutes, with a stop 101 error. The most curious thing about it, is it only seems to happen when the computer is running Windows. Previously I had Ubuntu and never had any issues, then tried Windows XP and now Windows 7 and still wants to crash when it gets a chill.

System Specs:
Asus M2N-E
AMD 4600+
Asus 8800 GT 512mb
Antec TruePower 480W PSU
6GB ram PC2 6400 (4gb mushkin, 2gb OCZ)

Was just wondering if anyone has any insight to this. For now it will have to cower under my other desk and keep warm.

mrmez

Splendid
Its certainly NOT 'defective' thermal compound. Whatever that is.
An improperly installed HSF will definitely cause issues when hot or under load, but not when cold.

Unfortunately there is really no easy way to test which component is causing a crash when cold. Replacing one component at a time and subjecting the system to cold is aggravating and time consuming.

Id be thinking since your hot components cpu, gpu are probably just running a bot cooler, the culprit may be something smaller that produces less heat. Something that cold weather can really cool down. NB or SB type chip.

There are also factors like condensation etc. Just depends on HOW cold cold is.

I guess the easy answer...
a) Keep your window closed.
b) Get a heater.
c) Keep your tower closed and maybe throw a towel over it to keep it warm.

Prospekt

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
Yes for the time its taken residents in a cozy little spot

P1012068.jpg