Sign in with
Your question

Phenom II x2 550 stock cooler good or bad?

Last response: in CPUs
July 29, 2009 5:23:42 PM

I have this CPU coming later this week:

AMD Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition Callisto 3.1GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 80W Dual-Core Processor - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

When I read the reviews at Newegg I saw that people are saying that some of them are coming with the heatsink for and x4 that has copper pipes, while others are getting a really, really cheapo one. I can't tell if there's any recent trend as to which one people are getting now.

If I get the crummy one, what would be some good choices for reasonably priced 3rd party coolers? My case is not very roomy- Antec Sonata III.
a b à CPUs
July 30, 2009 11:19:32 AM

Are you going to overclock?

If not, thermal pasting and stock coolers are excellent for general usage.

I like pie.
m
l
a c 105 à CPUs
July 30, 2009 11:45:41 AM

amdfangirl said:
Are you going to overclock?

If not, thermal pasting and stock coolers are excellent for general usage.

I like pie.

...thermal paste pie...them's good eatin :p 
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
July 30, 2009 12:00:22 PM

^ amdfangirl is right, the stock cooler will be fine unless you plan on overclocking. The Antec Sonata case is an excellent case, but it leans more towards quiet over cooling. It's of sufficient width that it can use any of the better aftermarket coolers.
Check out frostytech for good reviews for aftermarket coolers.
http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm

Donuts are far superior to pie. Most pies are baked, donuts are fried.... i rest my case.
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 30, 2009 12:05:13 PM

I like tofu substitute pie.

Tastes just like tofu.
m
l
July 30, 2009 3:48:34 PM

I was getting hungry reading this until the UPS man arrived. My CPU came and it has the crappiest looking stock cooler I've seen in a long time.

I do want to overclock this, so I think I will buy something better.
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 31, 2009 10:03:20 AM

Just try the stock, ok?
m
l
July 31, 2009 5:50:16 PM

I don't know, amdfangirl, the chip is an 80 watt job. The hsf that came with my 65W Brisbane seems a lot better than the piece of **** that they sent me with this one.

I suspect that in order to keep prices down and because they just assume that with BE chips people will want to overclock and will buy their own coolers that it doesn't make sense to put a nice one in the box.

m
l
a c 105 à CPUs
July 31, 2009 5:53:45 PM

install the HSF, see what your temps are,. If you like what you see use it, if not upgrade it.
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 1, 2009 3:07:26 AM

ditto1958 said:
I don't know, amdfangirl, the chip is an 80 watt job. The hsf that came with my 65W Brisbane seems a lot better than the piece of **** that they sent me with this one.

I suspect that in order to keep prices down and because they just assume that with BE chips people will want to overclock and will buy their own coolers that it doesn't make sense to put a nice one in the box.

And a comparably clocked AMD quad is 95W.

Enough confidence now?
m
l
!