Computer just shuts down

compcomp

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
Hello. Problem: Today morning turned comp on 1st time, LOUD fan(?) noise, got all the way to opening Interent Explorer then just shut down. 2nd try, loud noise, got to Windows startup screen, then just shut down.

Background: --For a few weeks now any online streaming video has been going super choppy.
--Yesterday opened up computer, and found massive amounts of dust. Cleaned up power supply fan and cpu fan. After that comp worked a lot more quietly than it had in the past few years (?). I thought the comp might be slightly faster too, is that even possible from dust cleaning?
--Comp seemed to always have memory usage spikes up to 70-100%, just with internet Explorer on.

--On side of comp it says
HP Pavilion a6228x pc
AMD Athlon 64 x2
Dual core procesor 5200+
---Inside comp from what I remember
4g installed mem
2.2g "usable"?? I dont know...?
3g being used or working or something like that I think. sorry.

Okay, that is all the stuff I know, can anybody help me please? I tried to read up on this and people say cpu fan or heat sink or actual cpu damage?
Please help.

bigtrev85

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2010
Sounds like you CPU is overheating. The load noise you hear is probably your Heat sink taking a crap. When you start up, make sure that fan on the CPU is spinning. If it isn't that, then either your CPU is junk, your HDD is going, or your memory isn't up to the task anymore. CLEAN THAT DAMN THING!

bigtrev85

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2010
btw, IF YOU HAVE that much memory installed, and just running a browser makes your usage spike, you have bigger problems. Download Ccleaner for free and do a registry sweep.

Also if the power supply is going out you can see some issues like this with it. The easy way to test and see where the issue is coming from is to open the side of your computer case. As you turn it on watch the HSF (heatsink/fan) and see if there is any choppiness to the speed at which it is going. Once the computer shuts down if it was the HSF than you will have seen it stop.

There other issue is if it is the PSU (Power Supply Unit) overheating you should be able to put your hand close to the PSU you should feel lots of heat coming off from it if it is going bad.

Or if you have a spare PSU you can replace it and see if the issue ends.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

The OP wrote that it did that yesterday. That's why I presume that he might have caused an issue with the CPU HSF that no longer is fully seated.

SinisterSalad

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008

Guess I read through it too fast. :( lol

compcomp

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
Hi, so I did notice my heat sink fan was loose (after the massive dusting). I reapplied thermal paste (looked up a video) and reset it. The computer is now staying on, but seems slow. This is what the system information says about memory. And also included fanspeed program results. first as soon as comp is on, second after 30 min (the temp raised).

MEMORY.jpg

fan.jpg

faN2.jpg

compcomp

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
Forgot to mention, the high cpu usage (1st pic of fanspeed program) was only due to me turning on the browser nothing else. :(

compcomp

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
Thank you, for taking the time to help me with my computer problem. I appreciate it very much. Hope you guys all have a nice Christmas!

TRENDING THREADS