Noob questions - added second HD

I picked up a second HD,one of those 300G 10000 RPM newegg sale deals
SO I installed it,formatted it and I see it on the MY COMPUTER
but its working like a storage drive.......I was under the impression
I could send applications and games to it and have them run on the new HD
but that seems to be not the case.....
I cant right click and send anything to it,it does not even show on the right click

I can click and drag to it but them the application does not work

So,ummmmmm what did I do wrong ?
How can I make it a function HD for applications (games,Steam etc)
8 answers Last reply
More about noob questions added
  1. You would have to install games where during the initial install(this does not work with steam games as they all go one place). Would need to install steam there then games should follow

You may also be able to clone windows and all games over if they are under 300gigs that is.

Last thing that "may work" is to move all your steamapps folder to the drive then mount the drive in the folder with windows.

This screen is for reference only, i have not tried to make steam work this way. steam must be closed while making this change. and you need to move ALL files out of the folder to the root of that drive first.
  2. That is the right idea but I cant get it to work........

Dont I need to Master/Slave these 2 drives?
    Even if I try to down load a simple app it always jumps into C drive,steam included
    if I try a fresh DL
  3. excelerater: since your C:/ drive (windows boot sector) is located on your primary (first) HDD everything you download/install/do will take place on this drive unless you specify the save as location to be on this new hard drive. Keep in mind that since you have programs installed on your primary HDD already they will continue to be ran from your primary HDD.

As nuke suggested you would have to uninstall & reinstall to the new disk drive. Keep in mind that all registry edits will be still stored on your primary HDD so if that fails, your programs on the secondary drive will become nonfunctional (at least most of the time) even if you replace the primary (first) HDD.

If you want to swap the new HDD to be the boot drive and the old (first) HDD to be the slave you could try doing as nuke said again and clone your current drive over to the new drive (if its under 300gb). Once this is done you could set up your master/slave relationship in bios and wipe your original drive.

If you aren't quite so computer saavy you could always back-up your data and reinstall windows 7 on the new drive and then add the old drive on as a slave data drive. This would be much more time consuming, but is easy.
  4. ssddx said:
    excelerater: since your C:/ drive (windows boot sector) is located on your primary (first) HDD everything you download/install/do will take place on this drive unless you specify the save as location to be on this new hard drive. Keep in mind that since you have programs installed on your primary HDD already they will continue to be ran from your primary HDD.

As nuke suggested you would have to uninstall & reinstall to the new disk drive. Keep in mind that all registry edits will be still stored on your primary HDD so if that fails, your programs on the secondary drive will become nonfunctional (at least most of the time) even if you replace the primary (first) HDD.

If you want to swap the new HDD to be the boot drive and the old (first) HDD to be the slave you could try doing as nuke said again and clone your current drive over to the new drive (if its under 300gb). Once this is done you could set up your master/slave relationship in bios and wipe your original drive.

If you aren't quite so computer saavy you could always back-up your data and reinstall windows 7 on the new drive and then add the old drive on as a slave data drive. This would be much more time consuming, but is easy.

That is exactly what Id like to do........make the newer drive the master and the older drive the slave.......they are both 300gig drives only the new one is faster
    Now I need to figure out HOW - I think I need some of those little pins you add to the HD ? Or can I do it all on BIOS?
  5. Since the drive is 10000rpms, I am guessing you are running SATA(and also guess its a raptor). with SATA Maser/Slave are dead.

What drive boots first will take the c: denotation and other drives will follow. So yes, you do set the drive to boot in the bios.

You can clone the old drive to the new one with software from the Western Digital homepage if you have a WDC drive(once again I guess raptor.).

http://support.wdc.com/product/downloaddetail.asp?swid=119

Please be careful to make sure you clone the old drive to the new one and not the other way.

If you clone the new drive to the old one, you will loose all your files.

I highly recommend a file backup before doing this in case something does go wrong.

If all goes well with the clone, you can tell the bios to boot the new drive and clear off the old drive to use its space for files.

If you list the system specs or make and model of your computer, we may be able to help you with the setting the drive as a boot drive.
  6. nukemaster said:
    Since the drive is 10000rpms, I am guessing you are running SATA(and also guess its a raptor). with SATA Maser/Slave are dead.

What drive boots first will take the c: denotation and other drives will follow. So yes, you do set the drive to boot in the bios.

You can clone the old drive to the new one with software from the Western Digital homepage if you have a WDC drive(once again I guess raptor.).

http://support.wdc.com/product/downloaddetail.asp?swid=119

Please be careful to make sure you clone the old drive to the new one and not the other way.

If you clone the new drive to the old one, you will loose all your files.

I highly recommend a file backup before doing this in case something does go wrong.

If all goes well with the clone, you can tell the bios to boot the new drive and clear off the old drive to use its space for files.

If you list the system specs or make and model of your computer, we may be able to help you with the setting the drive as a boot drive.

Yes Its the Raptor
    MY PC is a
    E6850 Core Duo
    Gigabyte N650SLI mobo
    6Gigs of ram
    Vista 64

I for the life of me cant figure out how to set the BIOS,I have minimal Bios
    experience under my belt - Once I catch on how to do the BIOS in prolly home free
  7. Once in the bios goto Advanced then you should see one called "Hard Disk Boot Priority" In there, you can select the raptor as the first boot drive.

Only do this before a new windows install(if you go that path) or after cloning the other drive to it. If you do it without windows on the new drive, you will get a boot error.

Also make the First Boot Device CD ROM if you have to reinstall windows.

Hope this helps.
  8. thx nukemaster....working it as we speak......BU first
Ask a new question

Read More

Games HD Storage