Always i lost my cd-rom icon in my sony vgn-sz740 laptop

Hello,i lost my cd-rom icon in my sony vgn-sz740 laptop why?
1 answer Last reply
More about always lost icon sony sz740 laptop
  1. Is it just the icon or it doesn't detect the cd drive?

If it's just the icon, you probably mean when you don't have a cd in it, because the cd drive icon takes the icon from the media that's on it.
    I'm guessing you get a default Windows icon and not the drive icon for the cd. If so, you can change it via the registry, or a program like Desktop architect or Tune up utilities.
    The drive icons are usually store in shell32.dll
    You can install Desktop architect and under the icons tab , change the cd rom icon by browsing to shell32.dll in Windows directory.

(Or, the hard way by regedit: (do not change anything else!)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ SOFTWARE\ Microsoft\ Windows\ CurrentVersion\ Explorer\ DriveIcons\ Your_cd_rom_drive_letter\ DefaultIcon
    (Make key if not present)
    Change the key's default value , so it contains the full path and name of the icon file (if it has *.ico extension), or if it's a library file such as shell32.dll then follow it with a comma and the zero-based index of the icon (something like c:\windows\System32\shell32.dll,409).
    Restart. )

I WOULD RECOMMEND DESKTOP ARCHITECT program. It's much easier! just a few clicks...and U can change the icon of any drive you like... :hello:
Ask a new question

Read More

Drivers Laptops Sony CD-Rom Windows XP