Ii5 2400 overclock settings with a asus p8h67 m pro

docdoobie

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2011
Hello,
just brought the above cpu and mobo i have stock heat sink and 4gb gskill ripjaw ram was wondering as i dont really know a great deal about overclocking if anyones has or links to some good settings to overclock too.
any help would be greatful

amnotanoobie

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006

I believe Tom's did discuss this in their review of Sandy Bridge. Non-K cpus have pretty much a very very low headroom for overclocking since there is one clock generator for the cpu, pci-e and everything else.

What this means for the OP, is that increasing the (is it BCLK or FSB) would mean that you'd also increase the frequency of the PCI-E bus. This would also mean that you're increasing the frequency of the SATA controller, which if set too high, might cause data corruption.

The original i7 overclocking guides might still be applicable to Sandy Bridge, but be wary of going too high.

The H67 chipset on your mainboard CANNOT overclock the CPU multiplier.

It CAN overclock the built-in GPU portion if you don't use a discrete video card. You may also be able to overclock the BCLK setting, but that won't get any significant gains and may damage components and/or corrupt data.

If you had a P67 mainboard, you could overclock that 2400's Turbo Boost multiplier by 400MHz, but that's it. The board you have cannot do that though.

Sorry, you're pretty much SOL.