GPU to cold? Fan speed? 9800GTX-KO

Hay Friends!

Thanks for looking.

Why does my fan idle at 35%, making my GPU sit at 46C.

I see Water cooled GPU's and think my GPU can't be to cold, Right? But then I see that my GPU is at 46C.

Why?

Why not have the fan at 100% if heat is an issue? why 35% allowing my GPU to be 46C and heat up to 60C in games.

why not 100%?

Is it just to keep the noise down?

So thank you!

Thanks!
13 answers Last reply
More about cold speed 9800gtx
  1. Yes it is to keep noise to a minimum, to conserve power, and the life of the fan itself as it is a mechanical part and therefore does wear out over time.
  2. and whats wrong with 46 deg C ?
  3. Zerk said:
    Hay Friends!

Thanks for looking.

Why does my fan idle at 35%, making my GPU sit at 46C.

I see Water cooled GPU's and think my GPU can't be to cold, Right? But then I see that my GPU is at 46C.

Why?

Why not have the fan at 100% if heat is an issue? why 35% allowing my GPU to be 46C and heat up to 60C in games.

why not 100%?

Is it just to keep the noise down?

So thank you!

Thanks!

46 C is not hot at all...from what i understand most GPU's can withstand up to 90 C...so yo answer your question, and to back up hammeh, its to conserve power and you dont need 100 % fan power at those temps
  4. Thanks!

I know 46C is not hot,But seeing as the Water cooled GPU's are like 30C, I just wondered why? they wanted the temp to idle at 46C ?

that's all.

They have the fan at 35%,So why? If the cooler the better ?

I could not find Anything on GPU's being to cold,Only ? I think Riva tuner said it was better for a GPU to be warmer for OC'ing.

So it made me wonder if GPU's needed to be "Warmer" to perform good,Then I remembered the Water cooled GPU's.

Anyway,I cold not find Anything on GPU's being to cold,So I was interested in if they could be?

Only because every CPU I've had was like around 50C,So I wondered if it needed to be a bit warm?

Anyway!

Thanks a lot guys!
  5. Zerk said:
    Thanks!

I know 46C is not hot,But seeing as the Water cooled GPU's are like 30C, I just wondered why? they wanted the temp to idle at 46C ?

that's all.

They have the fan at 35%,So why? If the cooler the better ?

I could not find Anything on GPU's being to cold,Only ? I think Riva tuner said it was better for a GPU to be warmer for OC'ing.

So it made me wonder if GPU's needed to be "Warmer" to perform good,Then I remembered the Water cooled GPU's.

Anyway,I cold not find Anything on GPU's being to cold,So I was interested in if they could be?

Only because every CPU I've had was like around 50C,So I wondered if it needed to be a bit warm?

Anyway!

Thanks a lot guys!

i understand your confusion...but my best guess would be that some card perform better under differenct temperatures...but im not sure and dont quote me on that :D
  6. The colder the better, electrical conductivity drops as temperatures rise, that is why extreme overclockers use liquid nitrogen to cool their components.
  7. +1 jah jah
  8. OK.

Thanks a lot guy's!

Good help!
  9. Yeahp seems we have similar cooling my 9800gtx+ sits nice and cool at 35% and in the low 40's and never past 45 c
  10. Yea?

what do you use your 9800GTX+ for?

Gaming?
  11. Zerk said:
    Yea?

what do you use your 9800GTX+ for?

Gaming?

Considering you can get pci e graphics card and there only purpose being to display 2 monitors for around 30$ why do you think i have a 130$ card? ;)
  12. you should be happy with your 46c... stock 4850's idle at around 90c
  13. ^-1

My 4850 idles at 53C
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards GPUs Fan Fan Speed Graphics