Graphics Cards ?

Should I buy a Gtx 275 1792mb or Sli two GTX 260's? I would to like some what future proof my PC, as the say. Or should I get something else? Any suggestions?


This what I am running right now!

i7 920
Asus p6t
6gb 1600mhz
850w psu
20" monitor 1680x1050
1tb hd
Vista 64bit


thanks
19 answers Last reply
More about graphics cards
  1. It really depends on what games you are looking to play. They are both excellent cards which will give you great framerates. Some games prefer 2 cards whilst others do not take advantage of SLI and therefore 1 card is better.
    I personally would go for the 2 cards in SLI. Anything about the GTX 275 would be overkill for your resolution.
  2. s1lent said:
    Should I buy a Gtx 275 1792mb or Sli two GTX 260's? I would to like some what future proof my PC, as the say. Or should I get something else? Any suggestions?


    This what I am running right now!

    i7 920
    Asus p6t
    6gb 1600mhz
    850w psu
    20" monitor 1680x1050
    1tb hd
    Vista 64bit


    thanks


    For COD4 and other modern FPS and action like Quantum of Solace and MAYBE Crysis...a 9800GTX+ will be very good and awesome is SLI for the price and would be great for the RES...i think that 260 GTX is just a little too powerful
  3. Hammeh said:
    It really depends on what games you are looking to play. They are both excellent cards which will give you great framerates. Some games prefer 2 cards whilst others do not take advantage of SLI and therefore 1 card is better.
    I personally would go for the 2 cards in SLI. Anything about the GTX 275 would be overkill for your resolution.



    I was running two 9800 GTX+ SLI. But, when I first connected the 2 cards SLI, it ran awesome. But since then, in game, it has freezes up on me everytime. So I would have to do a hard-reboot. When it would start back up it would come up with a black screen. I would then have to shut it down and restart it again. Then it would run fine. Also, I ran 3dMark advantage Benchmarks it also would freeze up. I would have to do the same process all over again, restart=black screen, shut it down and restart and then it works fine. It just keeps happening over and over. Also, I ran Rivatuner and I put the fan speed up to 90% on each card but it still would freeze up. I also noticed that my 1st GTX 9800+ has two 6-pin power connectors, while my new 9800+second card only has one and is about 1 1/2 shorter. Will this affect the SLI and stability?

    I play games like COD4/COD5, Crysis, Frontlines online. I would like to play the new games coming out like COD6, Battlefield 1943 and games in the next couple of years.

    Any suggestions?


    i7 920
    Asus p6t
    6gb 1600mhz
    850w psu
    20" monitor 1680x1050
    1tb hd
    Vista 64bit


    Thanks for your help
  4. s1lent said:
    I was running two 9800 GTX+ SLI. But, when I first connected the 2 cards SLI, it ran awesome. But since then, in game, it has freezes up on me everytime. So I would have to do a hard-reboot. When it would start back up it would come up with a black screen. I would then have to shut it down and restart it again. Then it would run fine. Also, I ran 3dMark advantage Benchmarks it also would freeze up. I would have to do the same process all over again, restart=black screen, shut it down and restart and then it works fine. It just keeps happening over and over. Also, I ran Rivatuner and I put the fan speed up to 90% on each card but it still would freeze up. I also noticed that my 1st GTX 9800+ has two 6-pin power connectors, while my new 9800+second card only has one and is about 1 1/2 shorter. Will this affect the SLI and stability?

    I play games like COD4/COD5, Crysis, Frontlines online. I would like to play the new games coming out like COD6, Battlefield 1943 and games in the next couple of years.

    Any suggestions?


    i7 920
    Asus p6t
    6gb 1600mhz
    850w psu
    20" monitor 1680x1050
    1tb hd
    Vista 64bit

    Im not really familiar with SLI, but the different size and the different power requirements MAY be the problem...is it possible to RMA and get the "Original" sized one


    Thanks for your help



  5. i will give it try.

    thanks!
  6. Quote:
    Your system is Like exactly the same freaken setup as the computer i am building right now except my PSU is 50watts weaker, everything else will be 1-1 the exact same !wow



    Nice build! What GPU are you going to run?
  7. Quote:
    i am getting your same cpu...is that processor good?

    *cough* google *cough*

    You remind me of little kids and normal tech mindless people spamming for info....
  8. ^+1
  9. rewindlabs said:
    *cough* google *cough*

    You remind me of little kids and normal tech mindless people spamming for info....

    he was asking the other guys personal opinion. give him a break...
  10. uncfan_2563 said:
    he was asking the other guys personal opinion. give him a break...

    I can read :ange: That is the idea of it...looking at someones opinion on a high priced purchase is STUPID....benchmarks and reports will tell you if its powerful enough for your tasks or if its overkill
  11. rewindlabs said:
    I can read :ange: That is the idea of it...looking at someones opinion on a high priced purchase is STUPID....benchmarks and reports will tell you if its powerful enough for your tasks or if its overkill

    well i agree that its stupid, i'm just saying, rip on him for the wrong thing.
  12. sry rewindlabs ....but agreed ^+1

    maybe he values statistics and opinions, plus reviews(aka opinions) can make or break a product so his question is legit :D
  13. UberGenocide said:
    sry rewindlabs ....but agreed ^+1

    maybe he values statistics and opinions, plus reviews(aka opinions) can make or break a product so his question is legit :D



    So I installed the Gtx 285. The first game I started playing COD4. Problems!!!! While playing it will kind of stutter I want to say. I guess it's like this when I stop and turn it kind of stutters for a second. What could be the cause of this?
  14. Quote:
    rewindlabs, are you kidding this is like a 50th freaken board, get a life for gods sake and stop stalking me on tomshardware.com and annoying me. DONT YOU HAVE ANYTHING BETTER TO DO THEN FOLLOW AROUND A LITTLE KID ON A BOARD WHO IS TRYING TO LEARN SOMETHING, SERIOUSLY!

    lol this is only the second time i have posted in a thread with you...and its not my fault you such a moron i feel i must correct you and aid you at each bend in the road....
  15. STOP HIJACKING MY THREAD!!!!!! Rewinddicables
  16. s1lent said:
    So I installed the Gtx 285. The first game I started playing COD4. Problems!!!! While playing it will kind of stutter I want to say. I guess it's like this when I stop and turn it kind of stutters for a second. What could be the cause of this?


    Sry but im going to quiz you(not to insult you but to get the idea of whats going on and what happend so bare with me)

    Were u standing on carpet or other ESD causing material?

    Were u ground properly?

    Any other games that are stuttering bad?

    Sufficient PSU and properly working PSU

    Bad cooling(fan is slow, dusty(i know its unlikely) HOT HOT HOT)
    ^sometimes the heat compound on GPU's can get 'crusty' and not transfer heat well^

    plz respond and i apologized if i insulted u...just trying to help
  17. Quote:
    Rewindlabs....why do you feel you must correct me at every board. Even the ****** board starter wants you to leave, unlike you i actually signed up on this website forum in order to do two things:
    1-LEARN SOMETHING
    2-HELP OTHER PEOPLE
    Something i did not sign up on this board for was to be stalked by little faggafiles...excuse me "pedefiles". Why dont u leave me alone...get a life...a girl...and lose your virginity, becuase you are probably a 30 year old nerd with a tiny little **** who needs to open pandoras box and leave little kids alone! Sorry to everyone else on this board for this bad post but I need to get this guy off my back, because he is getting annoying! really annoying.

    blackhawk, you had everyone behind you until that childish comment. You NEVER get personal like that telling people to go lose their virginity and NEVER attack people like that. Please don't do it again.
  18. s1lent said:
    STOP HIJACKING MY THREAD!!!!!! Rewinddicables


    this really isnt a reply...but instead of wasting time....just read my replies... :D
  19. UberGenocide said:
    Sry but im going to quiz you(not to insult you but to get the idea of whats going on and what happend so bare with me)

    Were u standing on carpet or other ESD causing material?

    Were u ground properly?

    Any other games that are stuttering bad?

    Sufficient PSU and properly working PSU

    Bad cooling(fan is slow, dusty(i know its unlikely) HOT HOT HOT)
    ^sometimes the heat compound on GPU's can get 'crusty' and not transfer heat well^

    plz respond and i apologized if i insulted u...just trying to help



    UberGenocide,

    No need to apologize. I need some help and I am glad you are taking sometime to assist me.

    No, I was not on carpet my house has hardwood floors.

    Grounded? YES (antistatic wrist band)

    PSU is new. Everything in my PC is only a week old.

    Thanks
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Gtx Graphics