Sims Looping

My Sim2 game is looping when it goes to the character I'm trying to play.
It will do the loading like normal, but then the boxes are highlighted and
complete it doesn't do anything. I have gone for 10 minutes trying to load
a character to play. I'm not sure why this is... Can anyone assist.

downloads caused a similar problem for me when I first installed the EP.
Did you just put it in or install some new downloads?