What do you think of my computer?

Okay total n00b here, building my first computer and wanting to know what you think:
Processor : --------------------Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
RAM: --------------------Corsair Memory 4GBKIT (2X2GB) 800MHZ
Motherboard: --------------------Asus P5KPL-AM socket LGA775
Hard Drive: --------------------Western Digital Caviar 1TB (Up To) 7200RPM 32MB S300
DVD RW: --------------------LG - Internal DVD Re-Writer with LightScribe
Power Supply: --------------------Akasa 400W
Case: --------------------Galaxy III 450 With PSU and Bubble Light affect (planning on removing the PSU)
30 answers Last reply
More about what computer
  1. Anyone? Any comments at all would be welcome!
  2. Also is my power supply good enough for my graphics card?
  3. err you haven't even listed a graphics card. . so i would say yes: however if you do intend to get a graphic card anytime soon i would upgrade the power supply to at least a 620watts, i recommend corsair as it is a really good company
  4. Ah yes well my graphics card is a GeForce 9800GT
  5. Could someone please explain the concept of overclocking to me
  6. Any more comments of advice? I am hoping to use my PC mainly for video editing and games
  7. Probably more games than video editing but preferably I would want a system capable of doing both equally well.
  8. Does that make a difference? What should I change?
  9. looks solid but I have personally never heard of the PSU manufacturer

both the ATI 4850 and 4770 are at the same price point as the 9800GT and have better performance
  10. I'm surprised you have never heard of Akasa but I have decided to change it to this Corsair Memory 650W: http://www.dabs.com/products/corsair-memory-650w-tx-series-atx-4RY9.html#reviews
  11. For games and video edition is good, maybe a power syppluy with more power
  12. Do you not think the 650w PSU that I showed above will be good enough? What would you recommend?
  13. If I was to update the Graphics Card what would you think about this one?: http://www.dabs.com/products/sapphire-technology-radeon-hd-4850-512mb-pcie-58NM.html?q=ATI%204850

Also do I need to upgrade my RAM?
  14. Or my mobo?
  15. 1. You should buy Corsair 550W . 650 is too much.
    2. You should look for a better motherboard (P43 or P45).
  16. Is overkill on a PSU bad or just a waste?
  17. Of course is not bad, it's just a waste. You can spend this money on something else.
  18. the 550W will only save me £6 and is out of stock, not worth the wait in my opinion. This is my mobo http://www.dabs.com/products/gigabyte-s775-nforce-630i-matx-ddr2-audio-lan-vga-4SH8.html?refs=405070000-4294951481
    Probably still not great
  19. IS good for games and video edition, but maybe the power supply isn't...try buying a power supply with more watts.
  20. saint19 said:
    IS good for games and video edition, but maybe the power supply isn't...try buying a power supply with more watts.

What are you talking about? How much watts do you suggest he needs?
  21. I don't think he read any of the other comments
  22. hefox said:
    What are you talking about? How much watts do you suggest he needs?

-----------------------

No much, only 100W more....a power supply of 500w is really good....
  23. I have a 650W power supply, I wrote about it in another comments although I think I will just go with 550W now
  24. saint19 said:
    -----------------------

No much, only 100W more....a power supply of 500w is really good....

We were talking about a 650W PSU.
  25. hefox said:
    We were talking about a 650W PSU.

---------------------

Ok, but the CPU is a core 2, so he don't need the same power supply that you or me that have a quad core. and the GPU is a 9800, your GPU is a gtx260 like i have, less power requeriments.
  26. saint19 said:
    ---------------------

Ok, but the CPU is a core 2, so he don't need the same power supply that you or me that have a quad core. and the GPU is a 9800, your GPU is a gtx260 like i have, less power requeriments.

I know that but you said that he need a PSU bigger than 650W.
  27. hefox said:
    I know that but you said that he need a PSU bigger than 650W.

---------------------

Me? i don't say this....i say that he need a 500w power supply...... was jpboyrox that said about the 650w power supply...
  28. saint19 said:
    IS good for games and video edition, but maybe the power supply isn't...try buying a power supply with more watts.

You said "try buying a power supply with more watts" and we were already talking before this about a 650W PSU.
  29. hefox said:
    You said "try buying a power supply with more watts" and we were already talking before this about a 650W PSU.

------------------

Yes, but in another post i say that with 500w is good, so....actually you have a 880W, and i have a 850w....big diference from a 650w....also in the price....650w can perfectly with a quad core...
Ask a new question

Read More

Computer Components Product