Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Water Cooling HELP!?

Last response: in Overclocking
January 31, 2011 7:55:28 PM

I'm going to get water cooling and don't know anything about the tubing. I'm probably going to get this radiator: http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=20089
this CPU block: http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=48811
And this reservoir: http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=38014&promoid=12...
These are all made for "Thread size: G1/4 " Is that the tubing size? I can't find any G 1/4 tubing. What tubing size is best? Which tubing would fit all of these?

More about : water cooling

a b à CPUs
a c 324 K Overclocking
January 31, 2011 8:01:20 PM

G1/4" is the threading for fittings. You have much to read up on...please take a few days and read through the links below in my signature.

What are you trying to cool? What is your budget?

I didn't see a pump in your list.

Thanks.
m
l
January 31, 2011 8:11:47 PM

What are some good pumps from NCIX.com?
m
l
Related resources
January 31, 2011 8:36:22 PM

I want to do 1/2 inch tubing with G 1/4 threading, which pump is best, but now expensive?
m
l
January 31, 2011 8:36:43 PM

*not expensive
m
l
January 31, 2011 8:40:22 PM

Oh, and stupid question, what's the best way to get the water in and the bubbles out?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 324 K Overclocking
January 31, 2011 8:54:39 PM

Seriously...these questions are all answered in the links I provided. You are asking very basic questions that should be covered by reading stickies and info about understanding watercooling. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but educating yourself goes a long ways in understanding subject material and makes you a more informed consumer.
m
l
January 31, 2011 8:58:47 PM

I'm sorry!
Last thing: is this a good setup?

Reservoir: Ek Water Blocks EK-BAY Spin 5.25IN Bay Reservoir with Flow Meter & Waterfall - Acetal

Radiator:
Swiftech MCR220 Quiet Power Dual 120MM Water Cooling Radiator Black G1/4 Threaded

Liquid:
Feser One Fluid UV Blue NON-CONDUCTIVE Water Replacement for Liquid Cooling

Pump:
Swiftech MCP655 12V Industrial Water Cooling Pump 1/2IN Barbs

CPU Waterblock:
Ek Water Block EK-SUPREME LT Nickel LGA1366/LGA1156 CPU Water Block G1/4

Tubing:
Primochill Primoflex Pro LRT UV Blue 1/2IN ID 3/4IN OD Tubing (10 Feet)

Barb Fittings:
Bitspower G1/4 High Flow 1/2IN Barb Fittings for 1/2IN ID Tubing - Dark Nickel Plated (Pair)

I'm going to cool an 1155 Intel i5 2500k 4.3GHz+
m
l
January 31, 2011 8:59:48 PM

What's a good place to buy watercooling in Canada? I'm planning on NCIX.com
m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 324 K Overclocking
January 31, 2011 9:07:58 PM

Quote:
Liquid:
Feser One Fluid UV Blue NON-CONDUCTIVE Water Replacement for Liquid Cooling

No.

You really need to read and understand what you are attempting to do.

The XSPC Rasa kit would do everything you are wanting. Google it. Buy it. You want an answer without learning anything...there you go.
m
l
January 31, 2011 10:00:41 PM

So, the one I chose is bad?
m
l
January 31, 2011 10:36:24 PM

Sorry, I was in a hurry. :( 
m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 324 K Overclocking
January 31, 2011 10:58:13 PM

I think you are jumping into something you have absolutely zero understanding about. I can't comprehend why this was such a rushed decision on your part, without any research or learning involved. Consider yourself lucky you didn't get help from people who are clueless on watercooling and told you to buy stuff you ultimately would regret.

I just don't understand the mindset of 'gimmie, gimmie, gimmie...tell me now, so I don't have to learn.' I always want to know every detail of any legitimately long-term purchase; from PC/watercooling components, to TVs, cars, digital cameras, etc.
m
l
January 31, 2011 11:04:34 PM

Okay, I understand. One question for you though, is the setup I want going to likely work properly? I saw the one you showed me, it's cheap, but I'm not sure I like it too much.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 324 K Overclocking
January 31, 2011 11:24:57 PM

It's the intro watercooling kit that veterans suggest to new users looking at watercooling. It's the first real step at any price point into watercooling, and it's a solid performer for a CPU-only loop.
m
l
January 31, 2011 11:33:38 PM

Thank you, so it's all fine?
m
l
January 31, 2011 11:45:33 PM

go ahead and buy your loop without any research
then come back to us whining about how you're loop leaked and killed ur computer
are you really trusting this ALL on complete strangers?
do some research then come back
m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 324 K Overclocking
January 31, 2011 11:52:04 PM

Quote:
Thank you, so it's all fine?

***Sigh***

How old are you, honestly? I'm curious to know.
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
a c 324 K Overclocking
February 1, 2011 12:36:58 AM

Makes sense.

As you get older, it would be wise to learn as much as you can about things in life you find important. This may sound repetitive and boring now, but as you understand more about how things work, you will see how the properties and principles of some actually allow you to understand something new in life due to similarities.

The greatest thing about getting an education is not what you learn, but understanding HOW you learn.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 1, 2011 1:25:23 AM

^ nice...
m
l
February 1, 2011 4:49:08 AM

Heh, I wanted to watercool when I was 13, but I had neither the money or the know-how. It wasn't till my late teens that I had the money to buy a system. It took another 2 years before I felt I and the knowledge to watercool, and I still made mistakes.

Do yourself a favor and earnestly read and explore what rubix has linked you, and then read the links within the guides he's provided. His patience is amazing so long as your educated about your intended task. Watercooling is never something I'd recommend on a whim. If you can't see how the path of tubing inside your case will work before you purchase than you are likely to overspend and make mistakes.

Don't you want to learn yourself what is best? Echoing what has been said here multiple times: do you really want total strangers to tell you who to spend your money? You haven't even made a statement about what you want to cool or what case your working inside of. You could go ahead and buy the RASA kit, but without proper knowledge it's not very likely you'll significantly surpass air cooling potential if you just chuck it in there with nary a consideration of water and air flows.

(whew, mini rant over)
m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 324 K Overclocking
February 1, 2011 12:08:20 PM

Thanks, guys. Just trying to help.

@OP- Please, please....do yourself a favor and do some reading into watercooling, and see if it's something you still want to do. It is quite rewarding once you understand and implement a loop that performs like you want it to.

Still...a few things remain unanswered:

What is your budget?

What are you trying to cool...CPU only? CPU+GPU?

What components and what case are you using?
m
l
February 1, 2011 7:05:43 PM

I don't really have a budget since I bought these drives from a corporation: http://shop.ebay.com/humanage2/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_f... I made quite a few dollars, and I have my savings. So, money isn't a problem unless it's made of gold. I'm going to do a CPU only loop, since I have an MSI GTX 460 Hawk 1gb at 920MHz on the core. The good water blocks I've seen for 460's are about $90, but for $50 I can get another card and do SLI. I'm using an NZXT Lexa S case, MSI P67A-GD55 Motherboard, Intel i5 2500k (Sandy Bridge) running at 4.1GHz, 8gb of G.Skill 1333 DDR3 Ripjaws X F3, a Cougar CMX 700 watt power supply, Seagate 720gb Hard Drive. That sums up most of it. I think that NCIX.com and FrozenCPU are the best places for me to buy from right now since I live in Canada. I'm thinking of getting distilled water and some HydraX to use as coolant. Does anyone have any extra PT Nuke? Some people say it's better than HydraX, and I'd get PT Nuke, but they don't ship to Canada.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 324 K Overclocking
February 1, 2011 7:21:40 PM

You could run MCW80's on the GPU's since they are universal blocks...cheaper, you still need RAMsinks, but they are a little more restrictive than most full-cover blocks, but you can use them on more than one card model (hence, universal).

If you are doing a CPU only loop, I recommend the XSPC Rasa kit...either one with the 2x120 or 3x120 radiator will work well for you. If you add the GPU, consider getting the Rasa with the 3x120, or go with a custom loop.
m
l
February 1, 2011 7:27:14 PM

I'm choosing radiators right now, and I'm planning to use some NZXT fans (I have tons), but I need to decide between an XSPC rad or a Black Ice. My fans don't push too much air and I honestly don't want to spend $30+ on fans. These are the ones I'm looking at: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/8523/ex-rad-146/XSPC_...
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/10464/ex-rad-181/Blac...
I've read that the XSPC rads are better for low CFM fans, is this true? Oh, and I can go up to 3x140mm rads (triple), but I can also fit a 120mm rad.
m
l
February 1, 2011 7:29:04 PM

Any recommendations?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 324 K Overclocking
February 1, 2011 7:30:39 PM

XSPC rads would be your better choice, then.

You need low FPI rads (fins per inch).
m
l
February 1, 2011 7:37:09 PM

Thanks! Some more radiator questions: If I do get some good fans and the Black Ice radiator, how loud will this be? Is my performance going to be much better?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 324 K Overclocking
February 1, 2011 7:48:06 PM

No, it will be fairly insignificant in the grand scheme of things. The XSPC rad is a good rad...I'd stick with it if you are building a custom loop...which it seems you are.
m
l
February 1, 2011 7:55:32 PM

Nevermind, I figured it out. They're thin and apparently don't let out too much heat.
m
l
February 1, 2011 7:57:07 PM

Now, about the coolant. I plan to use distilled water, with some sort of additive. I would get PT Nuke, but there is no Canadian shipping. Anyone know a place or have any left over?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 324 K Overclocking
February 1, 2011 8:15:33 PM

Distilled is great. You can just use other biocides...check around and compare ingredients with PTNuke. Also, you might consider a silver killcoil...they are fairly cheap.

Consider Ebay for these items, you really can't go too wrong that way.

Edit: Might consider closing this thread with a best answer and just PM'ing me if you want...otherwise, leave it open for other suggetions.
m
l
February 7, 2011 10:56:16 PM

Best answer selected by humanage.
m
l
!