Motherboard/power problem.

konasu

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
My computer won't boot when I plug the 4pin connector into the motherboard. It only boots with the 20pin, not both. So basically four pins on the mobo are left hanging. In addition, one of my CPU cores runs 10C hotter than the other.

my mobo is a Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3R, with a rosewill 750watt PSU.
CPU is an intel c2d E8400 at default speeds.

any ideas or insights would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
With the advent of the EPS (CPU power) connector and the PCI-e (graphics) connector, most computers no longer really need the "+4" part of the main power connector.

Most motherboards need no more than 4 or 5 amps at 5 volts and very little 12 volt power.

Having said the above, I think there is something wrong with either your motherboard or your PSU. One of my systems uses a GA-EP35 -DS3P and it doesn't care if it uses the 20 pin part of the main power connector or all 24 pins. Just checked. :)
If your computer is running well, I would leave it alone. I also run a 20 pin connector in a 24 pin, and have no problems (my compaq came this way). And the cpu temps can vary with usage. If one core is being utilized while the other core(s)
are idle, then the temp variation is normal. And some software isn't very accurate.

With the advent of the EPS (CPU power) connector and the PCI-e (graphics) connector, most computers no longer really need the "+4" part of the main power connector.

Most motherboards need no more than 4 or 5 amps at 5 volts and very little 12 volt power.

Having said the above, I think there is something wrong with either your motherboard or your PSU. One of my systems uses a GA-EP35 -DS3P and it doesn't care if it uses the 20 pin part of the main power connector or all 24 pins. Just checked. :)

Solution