Solved

Need CPU suggestions

Hi there, I have this ASUS P5B-VM DO (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131085)board sitting in my garage and was wanting to build a computer from it. However, I have research online and found that this board will not support the newer 45 nm Intel core(no e5200 etc.) I was wondering which of the 65 nm would be a good combination with this board? For this computer, my main purpose is to watch movies, surf internet, and some other office apps and little or no gaming. I already have a corsair 2gb pc6400 ram and wd3200ks spare parts. Is the e2200 or e2160 recommended?
23 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about need suggestions
  1. the e2200 seems to be solid, didnt see the 2160 but any along these lines should show u alot of love
  2. Thanks but the problem is, the e5200 and the e2200 cost the same in newegg, and I felt like my money is not worth it when i spent that 70 bucks on the e2200. Will there be a big different between the two ? How is the overclock ability of e2200? Thanks
  3. Definely go for E5200. Same FSB, bigger speed, 45nm=> lower temp=>more OC.
  4. ^ the e2 series are 45nm aswell.
  5. Best answer
    Go for E5200.It is better especially when overclocked.
  6. I will agree with the e5200. Newer model, better stepping and so on and so forth.

If its the same price at newegg, then it a no brainer to go with the e5200.
  7. if you want something nice go for a Q9550s. 2.83ghz quad core. easily overclock. it is a 45 nm processor.
  8. Why somebody would suggest such a stupid thing?!
    We are talking about a £50 CPU NOT £170 and "the main purpose is to watch movies, surf internet, and some other office apps and little or no gaming".
  9. Helloworld_98 said:
    ^ the e2 series are 45nm aswell.

No, they're 65nm
  10. Yes they are 65 nm.

And 2.2Ghz < 2.53Ghz of e5200.
  11. I guess I will just have to buy a new motherboard, along with the e5200, any good suggestion for a budget motherboard that can overclock e5200 pretty well?
  12. Your motherboard should work with E5200. Now depends if Asus updated their bios.
  13. I've just checked their webiste and doesn't say if is supported. You should send an email to Asus and ask them and maybe they can send you a newer version of bios that works with E5200.
  14. I read from the forum that the board does not support 45nm CPU, I guess I have to buy a new motherboard.
  15. If you are going to buy new mobo,then are you looking 4ward to quad core cpu's?
  16. I am not sure if my main tasks are mainly internet, office apps and school work. Little or light gaming, I guess a dual core is fine, but if a quad core is really worth the money and can last me quite a long time, I am open to that as well.
  17. Quads will last you around 3-4 years if you game light.They are more than enough for internet,office tasks.

You tell what do you want?
  18. Thanks for the information, I guest I woundn't have time for gaming anyway, I would just stick with a dual core e5200. Now I have to find a decent motherboard that can overclock this cpu fairly well.
  19. Nice! I guess I will go with the mATX board since I have a small case. Also I notice there is a newer version the ga-g41m-es2l

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128388

About the same price as the one you recommended because it's FS. Would that be a better buy since it's newer and support more memory?
  20. Any one of those three will do the job fine.
    Though have read good reviews of overclocking on EP45-DS3L.
  21. neozengar said:
    Nice! I guess I will go with the mATX board since I have a small case. Also I notice there is a newer version the ga-g41m-es2l

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128388

About the same price as the one you recommended because it's FS. Would that be a better buy since it's newer and support more memory?

Probably, I don't own one of these.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Computer