Can I change the XP quick launch path by editing registry?

ALBO_Jay

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011
As you experts know that XP quick launch's default path is " C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator(or username)\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch", all the shortcuts in quick launch bar are put in this folder. Now a problem is coming up when you recover the system, you will find that the quick launch bar goes back earlier, you lose new shortcuts after you backup the system. I think it is good If we can change the location to non-system drive for example D, via registry.

The similar cases are "my documents", "my favorite“,"cookies", "IE temporary folder", "history", "desktop" and some other items that I can not think of.

Could anyone help? Thanks!

That's how backups work. You can't backup future items. If you are afraid to lose current quick launches and/or other stuff, then backup more often. Use a backup plan that uses differential backups so they take up less space and complete in less time. The only thing you will accomplish from moving those files is that now they won't get backed up at all so that when you do a restore you don't lose just your current quick launches since the last backup, but all quick launches.

ALBO_Jay

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011

Thank you...