Sign in with
Your question

Any way to fix not being able to watch video and play games on a dual monitor se

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 17, 2009 12:12:49 PM

My issue is this:

I like to be able to play video games and watch video at the same time or, just in general multitask. To this end I have a fairly decent dual screen setup with an nVidia 7900GTX (and yes, I will be upgrading in future hopefully). However, the issue that I am having is that when I play a video game and try to watch a video at the same time, the video will constantly flash during playback as long as the game is running. Is there any way to fix this or will I just have to live with the fact that I can't have this illicit pleasure?
May 17, 2009 12:46:44 PM

Im thinking that its just the load on the Vid card... maybe more memory on your next video card will satisfy your needs...try going with 1 GB ram for that kind of multi-tasking...not saying that im 100% sure :D 

also, what are your system specs

a b Î Nvidia
May 17, 2009 12:48:10 PM

Add a 2nd video card?
May 17, 2009 1:32:40 PM

I was thinking that... still waiting for MOBO specs :D 
a b Î Nvidia
May 17, 2009 4:46:00 PM

Yeah, I would say you need another video card.

I tried playing Fallout 3 on one monitor and watching a DivX movie on another monitor with my X1900XT. The both game and video playback was somewhat choppy.

If all you are using it is to watch video then any video card will do. My only recommendation is both cards should be either ATI or nVidia. Windows XP can handle both ATI and nVidia drivers at the same time, but Windows Vista cannot, and I don't know anything about Windows 7.

May 18, 2009 10:49:40 AM

It isn't "choppy" at all. It literally "flashes" as if there were somehow a difference in refresh rates or something like that. However, I am fairly sure that shouldn't be the issue.

My mobo is an Asus PW5D Premium currently running 3GB of dual channel DDR2 RAM w/ 550W Trupower PSU.
May 18, 2009 12:26:15 PM

Zorr said:
My issue is this:

I like to be able to play video games and watch video at the same time or, just in general multitask. To this end I have a fairly decent dual screen setup with an nVidia 7900GTX (and yes, I will be upgrading in future hopefully). However, the issue that I am having is that when I play a video game and try to watch a video at the same time, the video will constantly flash during playback as long as the game is running. Is there any way to fix this or will I just have to live with the fact that I can't have this illicit pleasure?

I would suggest running the game in window mode (at full screen resolution)
!