Hook up Cold Cathodes to Fan Controller

t33lo

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2005
I have the Scythe KM02-BK 5.25" Bay Fan Controller and was wondering if I could twist and tape my LOGISYS Computer CLK12BL2 12" DUAL COLD CATHODE KIT to connect them to one 3 pin connector which would hook up to my Controller. The only question I have is will one channel support both cathodes and what is the penalty for not using the blue inverter box that comes with it? Upon looking at the specs, the inverter takes in 12v and puts out 680v, so is that a no go?

Solution

Hmm, I had a dual CC setup that used a switch mounted to a case rear bracket. Admittedly, a PITA to reach around to the back of the case since I had it in one of those corner desks with a computer niche, but since there was room to reach around the case to its rear without taking it out of the niche, it was still better than...

Not sure what you're trying to do - dim the lights via the fan controller? If you undervolt the high-voltage inverter, it could damage it. For example, compact fluorescent bulbs (which convert 120VAC to some high voltage via a solid-state inverter) usually burn out within seconds if you put them on a dimmer switch.

Personally I would consider one of those color-changing LED lightstrips, like what Costco sells for accent lighting in cabinets or behind wall-hanging TVs - they're pretty bright, about the same size & shape as a CC light, and you're not limited to one color.

t33lo

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2005
Thanks, it appears that it wouldn't be possible to do since they use the inverter which puts out 650v (I think). The only reason I asked was because I heard someone mention that they hooked up their lights to a fan controller. They probably weren't flourescent then. I mainly wanted to use the controller to turn them on and off externally since my current configuration requires me to open the side door.

Hmm, I had a dual CC setup that used a switch mounted to a case rear bracket. Admittedly, a PITA to reach around to the back of the case since I had it in one of those corner desks with a computer niche, but since there was room to reach around the case to its rear without taking it out of the niche, it was still better than having to disconnect the cables, pull the case out of the niche, open the side door, yadda yadda :). I suggest going to your local Radio Shack or equivalent and buying a rocker or toggle single-pole single-throw (SPST) switch that you could mount externally. Just cut the +12V wire and solder the switch connections to each end. Otherwise, it seems you'll have to run your case fans at the max speed, unless you can control them individually and keep the controller at the rated voltage.

Personally I haven't used the LED light bars yet - will probably use them as accent lighting in my kitchen, since they are low-power high-brightness, and my Vietnamese mother-in-law is afraid of ghosts & the dark when she goes downstairs in the middle of the night :D. But the transformer is 120VAC to 12VDC, so it would work in a computer - just cut the power wire from the transformer to the controller & wire the connector to a free 12VDC power connector from the PSU.

Solution

t33lo

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2005

Thanks for the reply. The only reason I can't mount the external bracket to the back of the case is that the wires just aren't long enough from that unsigthtly blue inverter box that comes with it. I suppose I can simply solder the wires to make them longer, solving my problems :) Good luck with the LED's!