P67 Sabertooth Overclock Settings!

genhawk25

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
I just bought a P67 Sabertooth and will be upgrading from a 775 build. I was wondering if someone could tell me what settings they recommend leaving on and off?

There seems to be some settings I am unfamiliar with but would like to know before diving into it!

Turbo Boost on?

Thanks alot!

subasteve5800

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2010
Well if you aren't going to use the SATA 2 ports than you are right, the defect won't bother you.

As far as settings go, If you want to leave turbo on you can, just keep in mind that the processor will attempt to overclock itself up to 400mhz BEYOND whatever overclock you have already put in. This could cause stability issues if it tries to push itself beyond what your cooler/the chip itself can handle.

Did you have other specific settings you were curious about?

On a side note, what do you think of that thermal armor thing?

genhawk25

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Well I know your suppose to turn off CIE, Speedstep and Turbo but there are a BUNCH of new features within the new bios interface! A lot I can't even find googles on....

GURU did a write up on the new Bios and you can see a bunch of the new settings!

http://www.guru3d.com/article/asus-sabertooth-p67-tuf-review/4

As for the armor, I think it will depend on the case! I got the FT02 (Silverstone Fortress) which has some awesome airflow and I think the armor would actually benefit from how the airflow and MOBO is mounted inside the case! This is just my opinion but I am really looking forward to it!

subasteve5800

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2010
For a basic overclock you shouldn't need to disable those things. Disabling them makes the system a little more stable at higher overclocks though so if you aren't hitting your goal you can try turning them off and see if that helps. Here was a guide I saw that looked pretty helpful http://www.clunk.org.uk/forums/overclocking/39184-p67-sandy-bridge-overclocking-guide-beginners.html

I checked out the video you linked. Pretty catchy tune, eh? It looks like the UFEI gives you a decent description of most of the settings. My rule of thumb is, if I don't know what it is, I leave it alone. The only new thing I saw that you might have to mess with is the CPU power limits (in the AI Tweaker/CPU Management menu). These settings will prevent your CPU from drawing "too much" power which might become an issue at higher overclocks/voltages.

Back to the armor questions, are you using a top down cooler? From the early reviews I was reading it seemed like something with top down airflow would work best with the armor because it would kinda force air through the whole thing. (also, the FT02 is a badass case lol)

genhawk25

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
I will be using the FT02.... which I am hoping will have amazing cooling across the mobo since the way its facing and the way the fans blow UP (heat rising) it will get under that so called "Armor."

The FT02 comes with the new silverstone fans that are pretty new with how air flows in almost a cone, so I am hoping to get some serious air flow across that "armor." I currently have a single loop with dual Black Ice GTX 120's on my Q6600, but I am getting rid of my serious water setup, just don't want to hassle with it anymore! So I am going with the H70 with two Gentle Typhoons (85 m3/h) for the exhaust fans....

I am really counting on that case to move some serious air across that Mobo, which I think it will!

*Cross Fingers*

Rognvaldr

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011
Hi, I have the sabertooth p67 and the fto2. They look DAMN SEXY together , I can tell you that much(especially with nice black cabling)! Im using the nocuta nh-u12p se2, which isn't a top down cooler... so i bought a 50mm assist fan, just waiting for it to come in the mail. Like you, i was thinking maybe the fto2 would provide enough cooling, but i decided to get the assist just in case. I overclocked my 2600k to 4.5ghz simply by changing the multiplier and leaving the rest auto(except i set the BKL to stay at 100). The voltage jumps around from 1.288 to 1.31 when its running @ 4.5 and the temps are around 60-70's(ambient temp jumps around alot in my room, old house with little insulation and forced air heating in the middle of winter). I was wondering if 70C(+/- a few) is too hot to run for a 24/7 oc? If i take it down to 4.3ghz the voltage stays sub 1.288 and the temps stay in the 60's, would that be a better idea? I don't plan on trying to take it to higher overclocks and i'd like to leave on the turbo/underclock stuff for power saving/efficiency sake.

ag00

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2011

I am Upgrading from my current i7-950 config

Already ordered an unlocked i7-2600k $325 shipped

Need advice on a motherboard. I was thinking of going with the
Asus Sabertooth P67 board for about $220
Any other recommendations?

Also will I be able to use the same ram power-supply and cooler I have on my current i7-950 rig?

I have the ECO A.L.C. Water Cooler CPU cooler currently on my i7-950
1600 corsair DDR3 tripple channel memory
1000W PSU

Will be transferring my XFX 6970 over to this rig.

Any components that wont be compatible? I am new to the P67 and sandybridge.

Why the hell are you "upgrading" that system? Sure, Sandy Bridge beats it, but not by that much. You should have been able to make up most of the difference by overclocking. Oh well...

If the RAM you have is 1.5v spec, it should work perfectly. If it's 1.65v spec, it should still work. Just make sure you don't go above 1.65v for RAM voltage or you could damage the processor. Oh, and if you have an odd number of RAM sticks, Sandy Bridge operates in single-channel mode. Either use two or four sticks for best performance.

nisargtheiceman

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2011

Hi,

I just ordered the P67 Sabertooth and Hyper 212+
Will it interfere with my Patriot Viper Extreme RAM(2x 4GB) Kit?

Also which 'assist' fan did you buy? Is there a specific model you need(speed/pins) or any 50/60 mm one will do?

cd14

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
Hello, here are some settings with a 2600k @ 5 ghz. It's on water, but it shows what it's capable of. I'm using offset vcore and a fan on the vcore area. If you don't the temps will hit 80+ in this area.

I'm working on lowering some of the settings, but it appears that you're need the CPU Current, Load-line and of course vCore higher than stock. My Turbo is on, not sure what it hits on single thread though.

50Ghz5hrs29mins755deg30degh2o.jpg

2011-03-28_23-50-40_216.jpg

nisargtheiceman

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2011

What Assist Fan are you using? Make and Model?

cd14

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006

Hello, if you are referring to the one on the motherboard, it's just a generic 50mm @ about 2000RPM (I think). It's pushing in.

specopspc

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2010
Resurrecting an old thread for the good of those that want to upgrade their 50mm with one that put out 10,000 rpm's & extreme flow under that armor.

Just got my 50x50x32mm 10,000rpm Delta "MOBO" Fan Blender for my Asus Sabertooth P67 to replace the one that sounds like an evil lawn edger. I know this wont be any better but at least it puts out flow & purs like a kitten on crack.....Manual says it doesn't make daiquiri's wifes gonna be pissed. But looks like it would chop up a tree trunk with no problem .

50 x 50 x 32 mm 29.76 CFM not to shabby. No here is the delema will it fit? Of course I will make it fit! Pc engineering 101 :D

Lets start with the old shall we...........CLICK ON PICS FOR HIGHER RESOLUTION

3ecb964a.jpg

Now the new toy:

7723e60b.jpg

24965d97.jpg

ed42638c.jpg

Oh oh problem; any one else see it?

86831ffc.jpg

Yep screws are to long; dang it now what :shrug: oh McGuyver has an idea:

12b5499a.jpg

Geeez dude-- you say? You just butchered a perfectly good fan :shock:. Well I look at it as expelling the demons that were in there earlier <loud :screwy: obnoxious fools> but oh wait I see now what your doing; hmm great idea / converter......:clap:

b2d22d18.jpg

But now that that's over grover.....Will it fit oops forgot to measure; sure hope so! :confused:

b7dad079.jpg

No way I just rocked a mod for the Sabertooth P67 :attn: And it works pat on the back....Hook this bad boy up to my Lamptron FC9 fan controller and I control the beast within 10,000rpm folks :blah: Ok I'll get of my soap box enjoy!