Optimizing my system for an SSD

mmcnama4

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2010
Hello,

I just built a computer with a 40GB Intel SSD. It is very fast and I am a fan. The first issue, and the one I am most concerned with, is what should I be doing to optimize the drive? I have an additional 750GB HDD in there as well.

Here are some questions, but they are not by any means meant to limit the discussion:
- Windows setting tweaks - what will reduce the number of read/writes to maximize drive life?
- Windows setting tweaks - what can I disable/enable to make the drive faster or just bc they aren't needed with an SSD
- I've only got 40GB; where do I install files, store them, etc
- Part of the previous question, but can I redirect the default program files to the 750gb drive? (tried it and I must have messed something up)
- Also part of the above question, but how can I permanently change the my docs, my music, etc to the storage drive?

Those are some good starter points. The second question has to do with linux. I wanted to install Ubuntu on 5GB of the SSD (with how quick the 40 goes, I'm not sure that is a great idea), but it couldn't see the SSD when I went into the partition editor. Any suggestions there?

Thanks everyone!
-Matt

Solution
Hi

Here's what I've done with my ssd's.

- Disable schedule defragmentation by right-clicking on the ssd in "computer". Choose tools-tab And click defrag now. Here you'll need to inactivate automatic defragmentation.
- Disable superfetch by typing services.msc into the Start menu search or run boxes. Double-click on Superfetch in the list to open up the properties, and then change the drop-down to “Disabled”.

You can redirect the default location of your documents , desktop etc. Not sure about the Program folder though.
Here's a guide http://www.w7forums.com/change-location-my-documents-folder-t338.html

Be careful if you're planning to move your desktop folder. I've managed to merge my desktop folder with my documents folder...

sisu

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
Hi

Here's what I've done with my ssd's.

- Disable schedule defragmentation by right-clicking on the ssd in "computer". Choose tools-tab And click defrag now. Here you'll need to inactivate automatic defragmentation.
- Disable superfetch by typing services.msc into the Start menu search or run boxes. Double-click on Superfetch in the list to open up the properties, and then change the drop-down to “Disabled”.

You can redirect the default location of your documents , desktop etc. Not sure about the Program folder though.
Here's a guide http://www.w7forums.com/change-location-my-documents-folder-t338.html

Be careful if you're planning to move your desktop folder. I've managed to merge my desktop folder with my documents folder. So everything that's saved in documents appears on the desktop. And this can't be reverted (as far as I know).

Solution

mmcnama4

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2010
@sisu

Good tips. I will definitely give those a try.

How big is your drive? How do you limit what goes on there in terms of where programs are installed. I tried installing MS Office 2010 to the storage drive and it installed most of it to the C drive despite my instructions (though, I had messed with some registry settings and may not have actually told it to install to the alternate drive, just assumed it had bc I thought I had changed the default program files).

It is funny that 40GB isn't enough now... I think my family's first computer had something like 4GB on it.

src1425

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
I have an Intel X25-V 40GB SSD, and it's big enough for Win 7, Chrome, Thunderbird, and Office - the apps that I expect to use most frequently. I have about 15GB free, which is good as I want to keep a little extra headroom. Games, less critical apps, and data are stored to secondary drives. The only downside so far is the extra work to manage the space.

Now that I'm sold on SSDs, I'm looking to install a 120GB SSD when I rebuild and move the X25-V to my son's system.... :whistle:

micko_escalade

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007

I had the same question as OP. Thankfully I found this thread. About month ago when I was researching which SSD to get I though I saw couple of other suggestions in various threads but unfortunately I did not bookmarked it. So is this pretty much all what should be done to keep new SSD like new?

Thanks!

Can save 2 -> 4 gigs space by disabling hibernation, also save a little on write cycles to SSD.

Click Start, and then type cmd in the Start Search box.
In the search results list, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as Administrator.
When you are prompted by User Account Control, click Continue.
At the command prompt, type powercfg.exe /hibernate off, and then press ENTER.
Type exit and then press ENTER to close the Command Prompt window.

My need to run winds diskcleanup to del the Hibernation.sys file

To re-inable, just repeat, but change off to On

mark_k

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008

I really like it when people will post a link to detailed information like you did rather than parroting answers to OPs questions.

Good for you

I vote your post the Best answer!