Is there any way to turn an old Ipod into an external hard drive?

JDogg

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
Hey guys, I have here an old 80gb Ipod, still works perfectly, but of course I have an ipod touch 32gb now, so I don't use it and I found it at the bottom of my drawer, anyway, my question is. When I plug it in, obviously, Itunes starts up, and says it's in restore mode etc, is there anyway to COMPLETELY wipe out the ipod software, and use the device purely as a plug and play external hard drive? Is this possible? Any info will be appreciated :)

JDogg

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
Custom firmware? I have custom firmware on it now, it boots up with a menu with 3 options
1.Apple OS
2.Diskmode
3.Sleep

I guess is there anyway to force disk mode all the time?, no big deal really just thought I'd ask

I use diskmode on mine. Using it as a backup for some data. I still use it to play music, but even if i didnt I would probably leave the software on it. The actual software takes up little space and you can disable itunes autoload so it will act just like a huge flash drive (or typical external hd)

JDogg

Distinguished
May 17, 2009

:O How do you do that?

I think when i had it connected in itunes there was a checkbox for "enable disk usage"... so now anytime i connect it to a pc it acts like a drive also. You could then uninstall/not use itunes after that. It will work on *any* pc everafter.