Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Show us your i5 750 CPU VID

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • BIOS
  • Intel i5
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
Share
February 1, 2011 8:41:31 AM

As in title : by CPU VID i mean the Normal Cpu Vcore displayed in the Bios.
The goal of this is to see if i got a lousy CPU or not. Mine CPU VID is at 1.30625v.

More about : show 750 cpu vid

a c 145 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 1, 2011 4:30:55 PM

1.175 from what i can see, but the voltage does go higher with turbo just when its in use. I will turn off my undervolting and report back

The cpu is undervolted so maybe its showing that..



EDIT.

My voltage listed in the bios is the same, but with turbo prime on a single core the voltage goes up to 1.26 even touching 1.28 sometimes.



Get hwmon and see what your voltage is running at. Remember at prime with 4 threads the voltage will be lower then prime with 1 or 2 threads.
http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html
m
0
l
February 2, 2011 6:27:38 AM

Well the purpose of the post was to see if the VID has so much effect on overclocking. Because there are some chips out there labeled as "golden" which apparently can overclock high with low voltages due to their low VID. In your case you have a low VID at 1.17500v from which you extract an extra -0.08750v so the vcore when you enter Windows should be 1.0893. Despite that you get 1.26 - 1.28. Have you overclocked or is this stock settings? I use HWmonitor and in my case i have Normal CPU VCore 1.30625 from which i extract 0.02500v but in my case i do use that vcore, i get 1.248 on 4 cores stress and 1.268 on 1 core stress. Interesting i thought you would use lower voltages.
m
0
l
February 2, 2011 6:28:50 AM

Also if forum readers have trouble posting pics, no problem just write down your settings and we can discuss.
m
0
l
a c 145 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 2, 2011 10:09:06 AM

In hwmon with my -0.08750v, I idle @ 0.8 volts load 4 cores is 1.04. I get 1.17-1.18 with 1 cores.

That first image was at "stock" voltage with turbo.

It is fully prime stable this way.


Since this is my media center, i have not overclocked it.
m
0
l
February 2, 2011 10:34:11 AM

Yeah you have a good VID but unfortunately since you don't overclock we cannot see how that is affecting the vcore for OC
m
0
l
a c 145 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 2, 2011 8:38:39 PM

if it was not in a mini itx board then i would give it a try(Did i mention 300 watt psu :)  ).

My I7 920 gets to about 3.8(Turbo/speedstep has to be off or it can not run idle stable just load.) before needing more voltage.

settled on 3.5 with a slight under volt to keep idle power down.

hope someone else comes to post. has to be more i5 750 owners
m
0
l
February 3, 2011 5:27:45 AM

Guess people are tired talking about i5 750, well i have it like 2 months now. Didn't wait for Sandy, i guess our i5 is old news to some people.
m
0
l
a c 145 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 3, 2011 9:02:09 PM

lol.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
February 4, 2011 8:21:09 PM

I have an i5 760 (the same thing as a slightly higher clocked i5 750), and it has vCore of 1.19375 V in the part of the BIOS where you can overvolt (is this the upper threshold?).
On the main summary screen in the BIOS it gives a real-time current vCore reading of 1.152 - 1.168 V (continuously fluctuating).
Everything at stock settings BTW.
m
0
l
a c 145 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 4, 2011 10:01:26 PM

nitrium said:
I have an i5 760 (the same thing as a slightly higher clocked i5 750), and it has vCore of 1.19375 V in the part of the BIOS where you can overvolt (is this the upper threshold?).
On the main summary screen in the BIOS it gives a real-time current vCore reading of 1.152 - 1.168 V (continuously fluctuating).
Everything at stock settings BTW.

Intel specs the upper voltage for the the i5 760 @ 1.4. Make sure you keep an eye on the temps as you use higher voltages as more voltage + more speed = more heat.

http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=48496
m
0
l

Best solution

February 5, 2011 2:08:06 AM

Vcore 1.15.... o.c @ 3,37 (160x21)
Share
a b K Overclocking
February 5, 2011 9:36:09 PM

My i5 750 is IBT stable at 3.83ghz with 1.24v.It had a VID of 1.13 if my memory serves me.


It's really golden.I can get to 4.1ghz for benching using just 1.35v.It needs more than 1.3v to get to 4ghz though.
PS.LLC enabled and VTT at 1.18v.
m
0
l
February 6, 2011 6:15:21 AM

I have to say i am starting to confirm that lower VID just serves you right for stock - mid overclocks. 3.8 is the limit, after that all chips need volts around the 1.3v area. So lower VID doesn't mean sure overclock 4ghz+ just lower volt consumption on stock - 3.8ghz overclocks.
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
February 6, 2011 2:28:52 PM

darkling said:
I have to say i am starting to confirm that lower VID just serves you right for stock - mid overclocks. 3.8 is the limit, after that all chips need volts around the 1.3v area. So lower VID doesn't mean sure overclock 4ghz+ just lower volt consumption on stock - 3.8ghz overclocks.


I don't think so.Lower VID does guarantee 4ghz with less volts.I can get to 4.1ghz with 1.35v while others need 1.38v just to reach 3.8ghz.Also a more realistic limit for stock VID is 3.6ghz.Even my chip needs +0.1v to get to 3.8ghz.
Just my 2 cents.;)
m
0
l
February 7, 2011 8:01:29 AM

BeCoolBro said:
I don't think so.Lower VID does guarantee 4ghz with less volts.I can get to 4.1ghz with 1.35v while others need 1.38v just to reach 3.8ghz.Also a more realistic limit for stock VID is 3.6ghz.Even my chip needs +0.1v to get to 3.8ghz.
Just my 2 cents.;)


I wouldn't say it is an achievement to do 4ghz with 1.35, when the limit is 1.4. I can do 3.84ghz w/Turbo with my stock VID which is high at 1.30625v of course if i could do that with stock vcore 1.2v i would consume less power and have slightly lower temps but the question was if indeed the stock Vcore (aka VID) is a factor for a high OC.
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
February 7, 2011 11:39:34 AM

Well if the cpu and m/b don't hit a wall,isn't it?The less VID,the higher you could push the chip since you wouldn't be limited by the voltage and temps.On the other hand,stock VID doesn't mean your cpu can't run at a lower voltage,it is just the m/b set voltage.

Spoiler
BTW,4.1ghz at 1.35v is an achievement because from 4.0ghz and higher,i5 750s tend to require larger increases in voltage.I can't make it to run stable at 4ghz with 1.3v but I can at 3.8 with 1.24v.That is crazy...
m
0
l
February 7, 2011 11:51:18 AM

BeCoolBro said:
Well if the cpu and m/b don't hit a wall,isn't it?The less VID,the higher you could push the chip since you wouldn't be limited by the voltage and temps.On the other hand,stock VID doesn't mean your cpu can't run at a lower voltage,it is just the m/b set voltage.

Spoiler
BTW,4.1ghz at 1.35v is an achievement because from 4.0ghz and higher,i5 750s tend to require larger increases in voltage.I can't make it to run stable at 4ghz with 1.3v but I can at 3.8 with 1.24v.That is crazy...


The CPU VID a.k.a. Cpu Vcore read by the m/b is burned individually into every chip after Intel tests so m/b doesn't decide anything. When changing cpu vcore from Auto to Normal i get 160x21 = 3.3 with 1.2v and 160x24 = 3.84 with 1.26. When testing with Turbo off i got 190x20 with the same volts 1.26.

Lets assume there is a golden chip that has CPU VID 1.1v. What will happen if someone tries to overclock? Will it stay 1.1v if someone has set the CPU VCore to Auto or Normal? I highly doubt that, probably it will use 1.2 + volts. And if someone puts the 1.1v manually as VCORE how high do you think it will go when OC'ed?
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
February 7, 2011 12:43:46 PM

That's not what I meant.I said that I assume that a lower stock voltage will probably mean a lower overclocked voltage.If a chip requires 1.25v to keep stable at stock,can it get to 4ghz with 1.3v?I don't think so.On the other hand,a chip that requires 1.1v at stock to be stable,is more probable to run at 4ghz with 1.3v.
Still,thanks for the correction as I had the impression that the motherboard determined the VID.
m
0
l
February 7, 2011 12:57:23 PM

You don't seem to read what i am posting. I got 4ghz with 1.3v which apparently is my stock voltage.
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
February 7, 2011 1:15:14 PM

darkling said:
You don't seem to read what i am posting. I got 4ghz with 1.3v which apparently is my stock voltage.


Sigh...Read again.Does your chip need 1.3v to keep stable at stock?
No,because you said you can get to 3.8ghz with 1.26v.So your stock voltage may be 1.3v but it isn't the MINIMUMl voltage your cpu needs to run at stock.So,if intel had put the ideal voltage as the VID,then that would be your VID.Now the reason why it was set to 1.3v is unknown to me.
m
0
l
February 7, 2011 1:40:59 PM

Let's wrap this up i'm not getting the answers i wanted.
m
0
l
February 7, 2011 1:41:15 PM

Best answer selected by darkling.
m
0
l
!