Sign in with
Your question

CPU running very low

Last response: in CPUs
July 30, 2009 1:23:38 PM

Hi, i have an IBM ThinkPad T30 Type 2366 running Windows XP SP2 with 256RAM installed, when i put the other RAM on the next slot it does not recognize it = some say the slot might be dead so i am still budgeting to buy a single 512RAM. But currently my big worry is that my CPU spec is Mobile Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 - M CPU 2.00GHz but sadly running at 718MHz. I have tried resetting bios to default didn't win, disable speedstep didn't win and re-installing OS SP2 again didn't win; i highly need help now. at least to run at 1.7/8GHz would be better. :( 

More about : cpu running low

a c 102 à CPUs
July 30, 2009 2:26:44 PM

Was that CPU already installed in your laptop when you bought it? I'm asking because models that have the 2.0GHz CPU should also have 512 MB of memory.

The defective slot issue seems to be well known: http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:T30 (Tip: The T30 has a design flaw whose result is that one of the two memory slots ceases to function after some time.)

July 31, 2009 9:38:50 AM

Yes the CPU was there plus the 512 MB memory was there, but after a long time it fails to give light to the screen that's when the RAM problem began, then i remove one RAM it lights; install it, it lights without light. then i permanently remove the second RAM.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
July 31, 2009 11:19:14 AM

Spino said:
Hi, i have an IBM ThinkPad T30 Type 2366 running Windows XP SP2 with 256RAM installed, when i put the other RAM on the next slot it does not recognize it = some say the slot might be dead so i am still budgeting to buy a single 512RAM. But currently my big worry is that my CPU spec is Mobile Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 - M CPU 2.00GHz but sadly running at 718MHz. I have tried resetting bios to default didn't win, disable speedstep didn't win and re-installing OS SP2 again didn't win; i highly need help now. at least to run at 1.7/8GHz would be better. :( 

Have you tried pushing it a bit too see if the clock increases?
August 3, 2009 6:56:33 AM

Dear Herr_Koos

I don't get it; what do you mean by pushing it. please explain in detail. thank you
a b à CPUs
August 3, 2009 8:30:38 AM

Spino said:
Dear Herr_Koos

I don't get it; what do you mean by pushing it. please explain in detail. thank you

Apologies, let me rephrase.

By push I mean increase the workload to as close to 100% as possible. You mentioned that you disabled Speedstep, but it might be useful to check what the CPU does under a high load. I believe there is a piece of software called prime95 that can be used to stress-test your CPU.
August 4, 2009 6:45:05 AM

Thank u...

I have just downloaded the software now Prime95 currently busy on it, but unfortunately before i re-install my XP-SP2, my cpu was always overloaded without running huge programmes@100% usage. But the CPU run at 718 MHz though.
August 14, 2009 5:37:50 AM

Hi Herr_Koos, its me again sorry its been quite sometime i have not been checking on this site, im still in crisis man 718Mhz is very low.
!