Sign in with
Your question

Window width changes after screen resolution change

Last response: in Windows XP
September 27, 2011 1:01:28 PM

I'm running XP Pro on a Lenova T60 laptop. I have a widescreen LCD (1920x1080) at the office and a high res CRT (1600x1200) at home. When I bring the laptop back into the office and reset the resolution, all the windows that were open on the display (not the laptop LCD) are shoved to the right hand side of the desktop (external screen is the primary display) and all those windows have had their width significantly reduced. This occurs even if I minimize all open windows before I put the laptop to sleep when connected to the home monitor.

Is there any way to prevent this automatic resizing or to restore the windows automatically after the resizing?

At the moment I'm left with awful alternatives:
- Close all open apps
- Move all windows to the laptop screen
- Manually resize all affected windows

Perhaps related, but sometimes when I wake the system my Quick Launch toolbar is removed.
a c 207 D Laptop
September 27, 2011 3:18:56 PM

With going from two monitors to one, this is the way things will work. You can't set 2 different window locations depending on what monitors the system sees, it will remember the last location of the windows. And since you are going from the external monitor to the laptop screen, it will resize things and move them over to the new screen location.

If you want to avoid this, just use the laptop screen in both places, or get an external monitor for work.
m
l
September 27, 2011 3:24:38 PM

I am not going from two monitors to one - I am going from a two monitor location at home to a two monitor location at work as I noted the two resolutions, 1600x1200 (home) and 1920x1028 (work)
m
l
Related resources
a c 207 D Laptop
September 27, 2011 3:49:28 PM

Goldenwing said:
I am not going from two monitors to one - I am going from a two monitor location at home to a two monitor location at work as I noted the two resolutions, 1600x1200 (home) and 1920x1028 (work)

Ah, I thought the wide-screen was the laptop display. And also see it's a T60 which does not come with that high of a resolution screen.

Try this utility http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Shell_and_Desktop/De..., supposidly it works with XP also.

Take a look at some other utilities for this here also http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Shell_and_Desktop/De...

m
l
September 28, 2011 2:54:00 PM

Thanks for the tips - I will give this a try
m
l
September 29, 2011 12:14:13 AM

On a T60 I recommend using "Schemes" with the intel video driver. It's less painless than generating a new hardware profile. The location of the schemes button varies depending on your video driver but you should be able to generate a scheme for each location and select them with 2 button clicks (right click desktop, select scheme) I use a t60 at work and generally recommend this
m
l
September 29, 2011 1:18:02 AM

Startzy, yes I am getting this behavior with "schemes". It has been a very convenient feature to use for several years now but seems to have no different affect on this behavior than manually setting resolution does.
m
l
September 29, 2011 2:15:32 AM

huh. I'd upgrade the video driver. All versions available for the t60 support schemes. If not I have to say your XP version might be going nuts. I'd recommend installing windows again if so.
m
l
October 26, 2011 6:04:17 PM

Well I finally figured this thing out! The guilty party was Google Desktop in sidebar mode. It impolitely resizes and moves windows to make room for itself. Apparently, during a screen resize it performs this activity as well. With Google Desktop off, the behavior disappeared.
m
l
January 5, 2012 12:23:07 AM

wow, that is...horrible. Thank you for the update, that explains some issues I've had at work. Very rude of it
m
l
!