Sign in with
Your question

Looking to upgrade from nvidia geforce 8500 gt

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 17, 2009 6:24:37 PM

Hello,

I found some older threads with the same subject, and searched around a bit but I am still not sure what to upgrade my Geforce 8500 gt with.

I managed to find my complete computer specs (same place I bought from):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

As you can see my psu is like 420 watts, I was checking out the HD4850 but I think it requires 450 watts. Not sure if my computer is even compatible.

I use the computer to play wow, CS:S, L4D, and a couple other games. I am also considering doing dual monitors in the future. I would like to spend no more then $150 as well.

Thank you very much for any advice!
May 17, 2009 6:46:17 PM

What are the rest of your system specifications? And what is the make/brand of your PSU?
May 17, 2009 7:05:38 PM

How many amps are on the 12V rail of that power supply? It may be able to handle a 4850, but I would like to know. If it can't handle a 4850 or a GTS 250, then you should look at the 4770 (It gets close to the same performance as the 4850).
Related resources
May 17, 2009 7:13:22 PM

thanks for the quick responses, if you look at that new egg link and go to specifications it says pretty much everything i could find out about the system. for your questions I don't really know how to answer. lol.
May 17, 2009 8:00:46 PM

haha It's alright.
When you open up your case, there should be a sticker on the side of the power supply with all the info I am asking for. I just need the number below the 12V rails.
May 18, 2009 2:31:37 AM

current 10a/5a
frequency 60/50 hz
voltage 115/230

luckily i have a clear side of the case and can read the psu. there seems to be a lot more writing on it in little boxes but its not making a lot of sense to me.. tell me if you need those as well.
May 18, 2009 3:51:33 PM

Yea the stuff in the boxes.
May 20, 2009 10:33:58 AM

umm.. 14a.

its a turbolink switching power supply, model: LC-A420ATX
May 20, 2009 4:25:56 PM

Your PSU is a piece of crap (sorry to be so blunt).
And you might want to read this: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=413081

Unfortunately, your CPU is awesome. So we have a bit of a dilemma here.
You could upgrade your PSU and get a good card, which would allow you to upgrade easier in the future.
Or stick with the one you have and get a crappy card (probably not even a 4670).
May 20, 2009 10:35:47 PM

well...i would look into the 8800 series....they are currently in my opinion, the best "bang for the buck"...an 8800gts 640mb or 512mb only needs 400watt and it can do very well well with WOW! And it costs around 100$$$
May 20, 2009 11:02:27 PM

Quote:

I completely agree. A couple months ago it started smelling like burning plastic. I thought something was caught in there, but it was a serious toxic fume and I was worried about my health. Luckily, the computer was still under warranty so I was able to send it in for a quick fix. I have only had this computer for about 4 months so I am worried that it will happen again. Are there any resources you know of to help me change to a different PSU?
a b U Graphics card
May 21, 2009 12:16:25 AM

sid85 said:
Quote:

I completely agree. A couple months ago it started smelling like burning plastic. I thought something was caught in there, but it was a serious toxic fume and I was worried about my health. Luckily, the computer was still under warranty so I was able to send it in for a quick fix. I have only had this computer for about 4 months so I am worried that it will happen again. Are there any resources you know of to help me change to a different PSU?

do you mean what to look for in a new PSU or how to physically replace them?
May 21, 2009 3:00:54 AM

A little bit of both I guess. I have never replaced a psu, know what to look for, or how to go about doing it. I guess I'll start looking around google. Thanks for the card suggestions!
May 21, 2009 4:16:35 AM

This one is very good, and only $70 after mail in rebate and promo code(if you buy before 5/28). With this you can run any card you want.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The 4770 is a good one,and it will only set you back about 110$. For some more $$ you can get slightly better performance from a 4850. I actually own the 4770 and can tell you its a great card. Small card, consumes relatively little power, and stays cool. (The PSU i suggested is actually very overkill for a 4770, but its good to have more power if you want to upgrade in the future, and also weaker power supplies will not be much cheaper anyway). If the vista performance test is any measure, this card gives me a 5.9 on the graphics and gaming indexes.

As far as installation goes, i suggest you youtube "changing a PC power supply" to get the gist of it, it is really extremely simple.

Good luck
May 21, 2009 7:30:41 PM

Thank you very much for the advice. Really when I started this thread I was actually wondering what the biggest upgrade could be for my machine. I read on the reviews for my computer that the graphics card was the only thing bottle-necking my system, unfortunately I didn't know there was a faulty psu! I know what I will be doing, and thank you again.
May 21, 2009 7:37:50 PM

sid85 said:
Thank you very much for the advice. Really when I started this thread I was actually wondering what the biggest upgrade could be for my machine. I read on the reviews for my computer that the graphics card was the only thing bottle-necking my system, unfortunately I didn't know there was a faulty psu! I know what I will be doing, and thank you again.

Your welcome, and I would like to say that after this upgrade you shouldn't need another for quite a while.
!