Dell 8400 Boot problem

nonterran

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009
I have a Dell Inspiron 8400 desktop that locked up and had to shut down via the power button. When I tried to boot up the only things that power show activity, are the psu and the cpu fan. I tested the power supply and found it had a fault in the voltage. I replaced it and I have the same problem. The CPU fan powers up and sounds like a jet engine, and I get no abcd lights, no BIOS post or beeps. I suspect a problem with the motherboard. I have tried removing the 2 512 mb sticks and get no bios beeps at all. I reseated them and still nothing. I only have the sata HD connected and still only get power to the psu and cpu fan. Any ideas why I would not get a BIOS post? Thnks in advance!

aylafan

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006

I had the same problem 2 nights ago with my Dell Dimension E520. My computer wouldn't have a BIOS post and the fan sounded like a jet engine. The problem was that my videocard was overheating. So I used onboard graphics for a few days and now my videocard works again.

If you don't have a videocard, then I'm out of ideas.

nonterran

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009

Thanks for the input, but this system does not have an on board video port. I tried a different pci express video card and a pci video card to no avail. Still have no video and no post activity. I found several refurbished mobo's that are priced very nicely, so will just replace it. Should do the trick. Thanks to you.

nonterran

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009

I went through the checklist you kindly provided but most of the items do not pertain to my system, so unable to test them all. Thank you for your input, but found some refurbished replacement mobo's to purchase at a reasonable cost, so will go that route. Thank you.