goose0211

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
Hi,

Im having issues with an 8800GTS 512 where after 10 mins or so of gaming the system crashes.

The event log shows an 'infinite loop' error.

I have tried many different drivers, still same issue, have also tried the video card in another machine - no issue!

Some things i read say its the CPU, others the Memory, other the PSU, basically please help!!!!

I am slightly confused about the PSU side of things - mine is a 700W PSU with 3 12V rails, each rated for 24A. The video card says it needs 26A, would this be an issue, or are the amps combined in some way to give a greater amount - not great on PSU stuff!

Any other thoughts would be great, am really struggling to sort this, I'm pretty sure its not the video card, and have a new AMD phenom CPU and Asus Mobo.

Thanks

hefox

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007
What?! I don't think the problem is this. We are talking about a multi rails of 24A not a single one. From this point of view your PSU is fine so has to be something else. Did you check your temps first?

goose0211

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
I tried a different PSU last night and it was fine?!?

Temps and everything else seem fine, compared to another similar setup, am def beginning to think it is the PSU

Thanks

Unless that PSU is real bad, i would check for software issues first.

I run a 8800GTX (more power draw) with an 450 watt PSU rated at 15* and 17*(as long as no rail is over 18 and both combine to 32 and under, its good)

goose0211

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
it just seems odd that having tested the video card in another machine with no issues, had my machine on a dual boot on a different drive and still got issues that suddenly trying a different PSU worked.

I could get about 5 - 10 mins of gaming before a crash, last night, no probs at all with the new PSU!

I've had conflicting views on the PSU thing that I am seriously confused - some say the 12V rails combine, others say it will only use 1 rail, i've no idea what to believe!!

I've tried lots of different drivers, run tests on the memory, CPU and video card and all say there are no issues (though I appreciate thats not definitive)