Sign in with
Your question

Folder sharing and security

Tags:
Last response: in Toms Network
February 16, 2012 6:29:02 PM

Hi all,
I'm sure this question has been asked before but I do not have a way of searching the entire forum for my exact scenario.

Here it goes:
I have a folder on w2k3 server, named sharedfolder. There are 40 subfolders under that folder. I have 300 users accessing sharedfolder. Very few have access to all the subfolders, most have access to some subfolders according to their dept. How do I set up their share and security permission? I'm at a point where any user who maps to sharedfolder, sees ALL subfolders but can only access the folders to which their group have access to. I want to make it so when they connect to sharedfolder, they can only see the subfolders that they have access to. Please let me know if this makes sense, if questions please ask and I need help.

Thanks
February 20, 2012 6:56:28 PM

You can't easily do it. You have to enable ABE in order to do what you want. You have to grant List Folder Content for them to know what's in the folder. They'll see folders regardless if they have access to them or not.

With your current setup you want to probably create multiple shares, one for each group.

Otherwise you can turn on ABE (Access Based Enumeration) but that may have a tall learning curve for you.
m
l
February 20, 2012 10:06:14 PM

Riser, Thanks for the reply. I was able to resolve my issue using ABE. Very simple actually. Just didn't know that option existed :)  Download ABE from MS site and enable it on the folder. Simple.

Thanks
m
l
February 21, 2012 1:59:00 PM

Easy enough. You must have had security setup correctly as well. Not the case in many places.

Glad it was simple and worked for you. Thanks for following up as well.
m
l
!