Your question

2600k + H70 = really that good?

Last response: in Overclocking
February 2, 2011 6:09:54 PM

Hi!

I have just build my very first computer. I used the following set-up:

Asus P8P67 Deluxe
Intel Core i7 2600k 3.4GHz (Turbo Mode 3.8GHz)*
Corsair Vengeance™ — 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 Memory Kit (CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9)
Corsair Hydro Series™ H70 Dual-Fan CPU Cooler

But now for my question:
Even when I run Prime95 with my CPU clocked at 4GHz (minimum overclock), it never passes C60/F140 in temperature?
Is the H70 really that good, or is it simply because the CPU never runs that hot?

Or maybe it's ''CPUID Hardware Monitor'', that can't pick up the correct temperatures, please help!?

Thanks in advance
M9A2

More about : 2600k h70 good

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 2, 2011 6:15:08 PM

The 2600K runs cool. At stock 3.4 (3.5 ghz) on my air cooler, it will barely hit 50 C. At 4.5 ghz on air, it barely hit 73-74 on a 10 hour Prime 95 run
February 2, 2011 6:22:17 PM

bearclaw99 said:
The 2600K runs cool. At stock 3.4 (3.5 ghz) on my air cooler, it will barely hit 50 C. At 4.5 ghz on air, it barely hit 73-74 on a 10 hour Prime 95 run

Great news I guess, however I can't get the equation out of my head - does it really run this cold?
Is seems unrealistic after a lot of ''H70'' reviews.

Here is a picture of my ''test'':
http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/6365/coretemswtf.png
Related resources
a b à CPUs
February 2, 2011 6:26:21 PM

It should still run cool after you get your exchanged repaired motherboard, too. Woohoo!
February 2, 2011 6:29:49 PM

mavroxur said:
It should still run cool after you get your exchanged repaired motherboard, too. Woohoo!

Yeah, I've heard about that P67 malfunction with the old S-ATA ports - a real pain in the bacon, that's why I use the 6Gbps ones.

Back to the 2600k and the H70:
So I feel 100% secure when I'm measuring my core temp of the CPU with ''CPUID HWMonitor''?
February 2, 2011 6:59:30 PM

bearclaw99 said:

Quote:
Its the CPU. It doesn't really run hot at all.

What I tried to say was:
Can I feel safe with the CPUID HWMonitor, that it gives me correct temperatures etc?
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 3, 2011 12:25:22 PM

Maybe i got lucky but i am using a Hyper 212+ and i am getting 61c tops on a 6 hour prime run with 4.5GHz @ 1.33 vcore.

When playing regular games and such, i am hovering in the mid 40's at load temps...
February 3, 2011 7:37:58 PM

jonpaul37 said:
Maybe i got lucky but i am using a Hyper 212+ and i am getting 61c tops on a 6 hour prime run with 4.5GHz @ 1.33 vcore.

When playing regular games and such, i am hovering in the mid 40's at load temps...

I've been running Prime95 for an hour now (100% CPU usage) @ 4.0GHz 1.248v - and still it haven't passed 57°!
I have to say: this is one hell of a product! :sol: 
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 3, 2011 10:05:05 PM

Jonpaul37 = 4.5Ghz @ 1.33v + $20 air cooler = 61c
m9a2 = 4.0Ghz @ 1.25v + $100 all-in-one water = 57c

I'd try to re-seat that H70 and see if you can get the temp down a little, that doesn't seem like it's working too good at the moment.
February 4, 2011 10:54:25 AM

RJR said:

I'd try to re-seat that H70 and see if you can get the temp down a little, that doesn't seem like it's working too good at the moment.

I your money it would cost you like 140$ to buy one!
February 4, 2011 11:03:22 AM

RJR said:

You want me to re-seat the H70 -> can it really make that big difference? This is my very first ''hydro/water'' cold system.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 4, 2011 10:40:27 PM

What he is trying to say is that my air cooler is performing better than the hybrid liquid cooler you are using.

yours is only 4c less than mine with lower vcore and lower clock...

think of what your temps would be if your settings were the exact same as mine, they would certainly be higher, therefore, reseating it and applying some MX2 or AS5 might help...
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 5, 2011 2:14:58 AM

I would definitely re-seat and check the air flow in your case, it may make a big difference.

Here is my 4.0 Ghz, I just got this today so I'm still playing with it, just 10 minutes prime + a little lower vcore.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us" alt="" class="imgLz frmImg " />
February 5, 2011 9:27:47 AM

jonpaul37 said:
What he is trying to say is that my air cooler is performing better than the hybrid liquid cooler you are using.

yours is only 4c less than mine with lower vcore and lower clock...

think of what your temps would be if your settings were the exact same as mine, they would certainly be higher, therefore, reseating it and applying some MX2 or AS5 might help...

Well maybe I do that - I thought this was a great cooler, but obviously I was wrong.
Or maybe I just have to ''re-seat'' and apply some new thermal paste, IDK.

So the ''Arctic Silver 5'' can make it run cooler, sounds to good to be true -> but hey, Corsair leaves me no other choice?
By the way, I'm using the 700D with a total of 6+2 fans.
a b K Overclocking
February 5, 2011 5:39:55 PM

Most aftermarket cooler should be able to run the new i5 i7's 4.0ghz with no problems. I've even heard of people overclocking to 4ghz on stock cooler. I also think it has to do alot with the 32nm size. You should be able to clock your cpu at 4.5ghz with the H70 with no problem.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 5, 2011 7:47:44 PM

Man these things are fun chips:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us" alt="" class="imgLz frmImg " />
February 5, 2011 8:00:28 PM

m9a2 said:
Well maybe I do that - I thought this was a great cooler, but obviously I was wrong.
Or maybe I just have to ''re-seat'' and apply some new thermal paste, IDK.

So the ''Arctic Silver 5'' can make it run cooler, sounds to good to be true -> but hey, Corsair leaves me no other choice?
By the way, I'm using the 700D with a total of 6+2 fans.

I have the H70 too with Antec 900 case and I chose to use two Antec fans with speed settings to medium blowing air out the case "not like Corsair recommends sucking air in" and its pretty darn quiet.I dont know how loud those air coolers get to maintain those temps but for my fans to be on med and quiet my H70 kicks ass.
I have Asus p8p67 Pro and used the auto OC to hit 4.5gz with 1.3v. and after 1hour Prime95 realtemp "version 3.65" showed highest temps 57 65 67 62.
I'm sure if I turn up my fans to high the temps would drop even more.Oh I forgot to mention I replaced the stock thermal paste with with Artic Silver 5, it just had too much for paste for such a little processor,seem like it would of gotten all over the surrounding cpu bracket.I think with these new boards you can use various bios settings to achieve the same overclock but have different temps.I recommend you set your fans to blow air out the case it will avoid having hot air inside wich willl make everything hotter.
February 5, 2011 8:03:29 PM

iac31 said:
I have the H70 too with Antec 900 case and I chose to use two Antec fans with speed settings to medium blowing air out the case "not like Corsair recommends sucking air in" and its pretty darn quiet.I dont know how loud those air coolers get to maintain those temps but for my fans to be on med and quiet my H70 kicks ass.
I have Asus p8p67 Pro and used the auto OC to hit 4.5gz with 1.3v. and after 1hour Prime95 realtemp "version 3.65" showed highest temps 57 65 67 62.
I'm sure if I turn up my fans to high the temps would drop even more.Oh I forgot to mention I replaced the stock thermal paste with with Artic Silver 5, it just had too much for paste for such a little processor,seem like it would of gotten all over the surrounding cpu bracket.I think with these new boards you can use various bios settings to achieve the same overclock but have different temps.I recommend you set your fans to blow air out the case it will avoid having hot air inside wich willl make everything hotter.

Great temps you've achieved -> but will the noise drop if i simply make them blow out of the case instead?
February 5, 2011 8:28:12 PM

iac31 said:
I dont think the noise will change,youre just changing the air flow to make the inside of your case cooler.There was a review of the H70 http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-h70-liquid-... read the installation part.

By using the ''hotter'' air from within the case, shouldn't I then expect higher CPU temps.
I'm just looking for a less noisy solution that Corsair supplied me with (their stock fans).
February 5, 2011 9:09:52 PM

I see what youre thinking,but the way it works with water cooling is to remove heat from the radiator as fast as possible,wich is why those fans are so loud they have a fast rpm.But if the hot air youre removing from the rad is being dumped into the case where the radiator and cpu are,then guess what..you have a really warm enviroment.Switch them around 1st and if the temps drop then play with the fan speeds to fit your oc temps and noise.If temps are still high try using AS5 paste and not too much either,like a small drop and spread it with credit card.
February 5, 2011 9:14:00 PM

iac31 said:
I see what youre thinking,but the way it works with water cooling is too remove heat from the radiator as fast as possible,wich is why those fans are so loud they have a fast rpms.But if the hot air youre removing from the rad is being dummped into the case where the radiator and cpu are,then guess what..you have a really warm enviroment.switch them around 1st and if the temps dropp then play with the fan speeds to fit your oc temps and noise.If themps are still high try using AS5 paste and not too much either,like a small drop and spread it with credit card.

Will do!
February 6, 2011 3:55:09 AM

My temps seem higher than they should be then. Megahalems Push-Pull 2200RPM Yate Loons.

@ 4.2ghz 1.22vcore, under Prime95 Small FFTs I'm hitting 62oC on the hottest core @ 24oC Ambient. (HAF-932 w/ all 120mm Fans)

Have reseated the heatsink twice (trying both credit card spread and vertical line, MX-4)
March 11, 2011 3:06:33 AM

H70 is not good
H70 is not real water cooling.
only expensive toy.
highend tower heatsink is better than H70.
plz don't buy H70 to purpose overclock.
H70 use only tuning.
March 20, 2011 11:41:52 PM

pproom said:
H70 is not good
H70 is not real water cooling.
only expensive toy.
highend tower heatsink is better than H70.
plz don't buy H70 to purpose overclock.
H70 use only tuning.

Amen

I use triple swiftech rad stack with dual rad and XT block 2600k at 4.7 1.36v, temps dont go over 62 with prime or FOH
March 31, 2011 4:55:36 AM

I'm sorry but the OP is simply an idiot.

I'm a total noob when it comes to anything about computers, but I must say...

To the OP, you can't claim good temperature after 1 minute of stress testing with prime 95. See the first picture.

Note, in the first picture, that your 3rd core shot to 57 in the first minute.

In one hour @ 100% load with Prime 95, the CPU will not be as hot as 6 hours @ load w/ Prime 95.

I hate liars.

I don't need to say any more, but your penis doesn't get larger when you lie about cooling your I29K3
April 3, 2011 2:38:51 PM

I don't find the H70 to be that bad, or at least as bad as others.

The reason I purchased it is becuse I knew it would fit in my case, I've seen the size of some of the most modern Air heat sinks and they are bigger than my head.

I have my 2600k at 4.3 ghz and if I run prime 95 for an hour I don't get above 55C. If I ran it for 6 hours would it go high? likely. But at the same time if I game for 6 hours my CPU isn't going to be anywhere near 100% the whole time.

Overall I'm happy with the H70, it is more expensive of course, but it was easy to install and fits my case perfectly (plus I got it onsale $30.00 off)
April 3, 2011 8:23:16 PM

Trying to differentiate a few degrees at 55C or so is meaningless as the margin of error at those temperatures is larger than that. It's designed to be close to 100% accurate at tjmax, and dramatically less accurate as temperatures decrease. Besides, ambient temperatures can mean the difference between 55C and 70C so there's really not point in comparing apples and oranges like this.
April 6, 2011 4:29:50 AM

Hey, whatever cooler keeps you under 80C and makes you happy is all good by me....
!