Arctic Cooling Alpine 64 any quieter than stock AMD cooler?

dylan_m

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2010
Hey guys.

Although i haven't bought it yet, apparently the heat sink/fan that comes with the AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition is extremely loud. And as I am trying to build a quiet pc, I am on the hunt for a really cheap replacement that doesn't have to cool better than the stock cooler, but at least be much quieter. I was looking at the Arctic Cooling Alpine 64.
Is this a good choice? Will it fit flawlessly on a Asus M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 motherboard? And would it be quieter while still maintaining around the same level of cooling as the stock cooler?

Thanks heaps :)

abully

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2010
yes its a decent choice against the stock cooler... but if you have enough space and clearance then i would suggest a bigger cooler with 120mm fans minimum since its quiet you're looking for... The alpine 64 has a 92mm fan spinning at 2000 rpm which is louder compared to a 120mm fan spinning at the same speed...

I used the LP (low profile) version of that cooler on a 245, with some tuning (fan voltage changes and min/max temp changes) it is quieter than the 60mm fan on the stock cooler (even without the tuning it was quieter but I wanted to make it as silent as possible, also quiet under load, and cooler than the stock one. But if you want some really good cooling you should look for something with a larger heatsink and fan.

The LP probably doesnt cool as well as the non LP version due to size constrains.

If your motherboard has the standard mounting bracket (which I imagine it does) it will fit.