Windows 7 Wireless Adapter Advice

iSmartMan

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009
I'm a college student who has a desktop computer using Windows 7 64-bit and I want to be able to use my house's wireless network when I'm on break. Since I'd only be using this network a few months every year, I'd prefer the adapter to use a USB port and not cost too much (hopefully less than $30). Here are my network specs.
-WEP Encryption
-802.11g standard (but might be 802.11b, can't tell for sure)
-54 Mbps (DSL)
Any suggestions?
EDIT: Currently considering this: http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-WUSB54GC-Compact-Wireless-G-Adapter/dp/B000CRFI8A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1261363043&sr=8-1

G

Best to get 11G (unless the router is already on N) in any case 11B isn't made anymore and can have issues connecting to newer routers.

WEP encryption is supported by current gear, but I'm surprised the router isn't using WPA which is simpler and safer.

DSL doesn't come into it when considering computer end of the connection.

Linksys is a decent choice, though any cheaper no-name product will work as they all use the same pool of chipset makers. The difference comes when you seek support.

iSmartMan

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009
I'm not exactly a novice when it comes to computers, I just don't have much expertise when it comes to decisions about hardware. As such, I was hoping for input on specific products, since I know not all companies have drivers for Windows 7 yet. What I want to know is if there is something wrong with my current top choice, or if there is a better option on the market.

G

Sorry if I seemed patronising -- just answering your points as best I could.

I don't have Win7 and I always buy gear secondhand so I don't pretend to be the font of all knowledge on the latest stuff.