Best speed memory for this set-up?

allkindsoftime

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2010
Was wondering what speed memory I should get w/ my asus sabertooth x58 and i7-950 set-up. I researched this subject a few months ago but have unfortunately forgot it all. I heard lower speed memory 1333> benefits the i7-950 the most w/ triple channel mem? Or was it 1600? Anyone got any articles they can link, or can help me out with this?

I could link articles, but that would waste my time so I'll give you some overclocking in a nutshell. If you do not have an unlocked multiplier (Intel K series, AMD BE series), you typically must overclock your base clock that your CPU and RAM both run off of.

Because of this, it is a lot easier to overclock with RAM that can handle faster speeds. There are several settings that will still allow you to use lower RAM speeds, but only to a point. 1333 should work. You would likely run into problems with 1066. I prefer 1600 or faster.

As far as benefiting your processor best--the faster your RAM runs, the better--this includes latency. So 1333MHz DDR3 with Cas7 will do about the same as 1600MHz Cas9. So basically don't just get 1333MHz Cas9 when 1600MHz Cas9 is the same price. The only way to find out exactly what's best is to run benchmarks on your system after setting up RAM timings in your BIOS.

If you want to just put the parts together, no tweaking BIOS settings or future overclocking down the line, then 1333MHz is for you. 1600MHz stuff works great, but you'll have to manually set it to manufacturer specs.

But I'd get 2000MHz for myself (probably bad advice).

allkindsoftime

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2010
It's just that I noticed on the review for this mem stick - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145222&Tpk=TR3X6G1600C9
That the Asus QVL for sabertooth suggests 1333 99924, and in this case the user ended up destroying a stick because of that?? So Should I follow the QVL? I dont plan to tweak the memory at all, I do plan to OC my cpu however.

Those sticks mentioned above run about 3$ more then the 1333 timing ones, so I dont really care what I get but I dont wanna end up killing my sticks. Can it be confirmed that the first review for those sticks above was really due to not following the timings of the QVL?