Tags:
  • Heatsinks
  • Cooling
  • Fan
  • Overclocking
  • Product
Last response: in Overclocking
February 3, 2011 2:39:21 PM

I have a hyper 212+ installed and it's a beast, my load temp hit 48C where before, with my stock cooler after a short period of running prime 95 I was into the 60's and stopped prime so as not to cause damage.

Anyhow, I'd like to buy a second fan just for some added cooling. I have a Phenom II 955 BE, and would like to do a small OC to maybe 3.6 or 3.8 but It'd be nice to have a second fan before I OC.

So, what fan should I get? I found the blademaster that comes with the cooler, but it's sold out on newegg, so I'm wondering what a good alternative would be?

I need a PWM splitter I assume? Also, I'd like to use my motherboard's fan header so it can control the speeds automatically, which would mean I'd need a splitter that has a 4 pin and 3 pin output so the motherboard doesnt get confused with 2 RPM's? Then would that mean I'd need the same fan's?

More about : hyper 212 fan

a c 296 K Overclocking
February 3, 2011 3:14:47 PM

If you have the budget, go with Gentle Typhoon AP-14 or AP-15
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 3, 2011 4:06:17 PM

Note that adding a second fan will only decrease your temps by about 2-3ºC.

You would need a splitter, yes.

The easiest way would be to cut the yellow (speed) wire on one of the fans so that the mainboard won't get confused by two speed signals.
m
l
Related resources
February 3, 2011 4:50:13 PM

saint19 said:
If you have the budget, go with Gentle Typhoon AP-14 or AP-15

Out of stock on newegg

Leaps-from-Shadows said:
Note that adding a second fan will only decrease your temps by about 2-3ºC.

You would need a splitter, yes.

The easiest way would be to cut the yellow (speed) wire on one of the fans so that the mainboard won't get confused by two speed signals.

Yes, I know the temp difference is small, I'm going to price the stuff out, and see if it's worth it with shipping. It's not really looking like it, they want $10 to ship the splitter... :sarcastic: 

This splitter is 4 to 4, 3 Pin seems like it'd work fine, as only 1 RPM would be reported to my motherboard, however would my 2 fan's need to be the same model?

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

m
l
February 3, 2011 5:38:43 PM

Hmm, I'll take a look in my local shop in a couple days. I dont mine paying $10 - $15 for a decent fan, but I dont want to pay an extra $10+ for shipping on top of that. The few degree decrease I'll see wont be worth the extra $30, may as well of bought a $60.00 cooler.

Edit: Looking at my local shop's online store they have 3 versions of the gentle typhoon 500, 1150, and 1850 RPM versions, all the same price. They dont have the 1850 RPM version in stock, online or in store, only the 500, or 1200 rpm versions.

I wonder if It'd be worth it to get a second fan? I have a 200mm fan directly above the cooler, and a 120mm in the back. Hell, the 120mm fan in my case is pretty close to the cooler as it is.
m
l
a c 296 K Overclocking
February 3, 2011 5:54:39 PM

What are your temps now?
m
l
February 3, 2011 6:06:19 PM

According to CPU temp, 39 idle, 48 load
According to Asus PC Probe II (Came with mobo disk) idle is mid to low 30's and haven't looked at the load temp with pc probe

I'm looking at maybe the blue LED Coolermaster R4, 2000 rpm, 70-90 CFM, 20dB, for $10. Thing I dont know about is it's a 3 pin fan, the pwm splitter I've found at my local shop has 2 4 pin connectors on it.

Edit: The splitter I'm looking at is the "GELID PWM-Y Cable Adapter" so if I plug a 3 pin pwm fan into a 4 pin socket it'll run at full speed right? So I'f I'm using the 2 fan's would the 3 pin run at the same rpm as the first fan (as the first fan's RPM would be reported to my motherboard) or how would that work?

IE:

212+ Fan-----------Addition Fan (3pin)
^_________________^
Splitter
^
Motherboard

So how would the power work, it would power the 212+ stock fan, and in doing so would be powering the 3 pin fan? How do the speeds work?

On second thought, I have a fan controller built into my case, and have 200mm side fan which can not fit in my case due to the height of the cooler. Anyhow I can plug the second fan into my side fan's 4 pin connector. Then just manually control the speed. I assume the 'pull' fan's speed is much less important than the fan that is actually pushing the air through the cooler.

Having said that if I were to leave my 'pull' fan at the lowest rpm by accident and was under full load I'd probably still be seeing the 48C temps?
m
l

Best solution

a c 296 K Overclocking
February 3, 2011 7:42:58 PM

HaGGardSmurf said:
According to CPU temp, 39 idle, 48 load
According to Asus PC Probe II (Came with mobo disk) idle is mid to low 30's and haven't looked at the load temp with pc probe

I'm looking at maybe the blue LED Coolermaster R4, 2000 rpm, 70-90 CFM, 20dB, for $10. Thing I dont know about is it's a 3 pin fan, the pwm splitter I've found at my local shop has 2 4 pin connectors on it.

Edit: The splitter I'm looking at is the "GELID PWM-Y Cable Adapter" so if I plug a 3 pin pwm fan into a 4 pin socket it'll run at full speed right? So I'f I'm using the 2 fan's would the 3 pin run at the same rpm as the first fan (as the first fan's RPM would be reported to my motherboard) or how would that work?

IE:

212+ Fan-----------Addition Fan (3pin)
^_________________^
Splitter
^
Motherboard

So how would the power work, it would power the 212+ stock fan, and in doing so would be powering the 3 pin fan? How do the speeds work?

Trust me, those fans aren't the best.
February 3, 2011 7:59:33 PM

saint19 said:
Trust me, those fans aren't the best.

What about a scyth slip stream http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1683...

I hear good things about Scythe, and this fan is apparently quieter than the stock fan according to the spec's

I'm never really going to have the second fan at full speed, the only time would probably be while gaming, or high cpu load, and while gaming my 4870 is loud anyhow. Plus my volume is usually high.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 3, 2011 8:32:23 PM

best bang for buck is probably the coolermaster 120mm fan at 2000rpm...But me personally i'd go with the Gelid 120mm fan. They are easy to clean and have good cooling. But a bit pricy, they range from 16bucks to 20bucks depending where you go. mwave has them for 16bucks.
m
l
February 3, 2011 8:58:51 PM

Alright thanks guys!
m
l
February 3, 2011 8:59:51 PM

Best answer selected by haggardsmurf.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 3, 2011 9:33:26 PM

I want to thank you for posting the gelid makes one of those. So sick of having to make them from extension cables(i am running 2 Antec 3-pin pro dbb fans on a 212+. they are old(many better options now), but work well) and cutting the rpm from one fan.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 4, 2011 3:09:58 AM

I have an original Coolermaster Hyper 212 in my personal pc. I have used it for several builds and I experimented with it. In addition, there are a few things you should know that has not been mentioned. But first things first. I have a few questions for you:

What was the ambient (room) temperature when you measured temps?
Which thermal compound did you use?
Which pc case do you have?
Which motherboard do you have?
Are you a casual gamer or a hardcore gamer?

m
l
February 4, 2011 3:45:46 PM

Ambient temp was probably like 26C, side of case on
Thermal compound is mx-4
Case is a NZXT Phantom
Motherboard is M4A89GTD Pro USB 3
I'm a casual gamer.

I think I may have used a bit too much paste, but I read that your supposed to use a bit extra paste because the surface is not completely flat so paste will get into the tiny gap where the heatpipe is.

I'm planning on just buying a 10 dollar fan from my local shop and just plugging it into my fan controller, then I can control the RPM manually no need to worry about noise or burning out my motherboard fan header.
m
l
February 5, 2011 7:54:26 PM

It is important in a push pull setup that both fans are spinning at the exact same speed and are the same fan type. If one fan is outputting more air than the other you can acutally reduce performance over using a single fan by itself.

You are better off getting another stock 212+ fan or replacing the stock fan with 2 identical ones. Using a proper Y-adapter like this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... is the easiest way to make sure they both spin at the same speed. Of course if you are using a fan controller instead of PWM then you can control them manually. I prefer the PWM setup since they spin slower while at idle and speed up when temps rise.
m
l
February 5, 2011 9:25:19 PM

Well I bought a $10 scyth fan I'm going to install it and see what my temps are like.

My fan controller built into my case is 3 pin and this fan is 4 pin. I cant plug it in because there is a casing over the pin's. Is there an extender, or something I can plug into the cable?

Edit: I plugged the fan into a chassis fan slot on my board, for whatever reason it was running at full speed 2000 RPM. It dropped my temps about 6C however it was loud, thats why I want to manually control the fan with my case. (I will never use the side fan on my case, so I'll probably plug it in there.)

Anyhow is there some kind of 4 to 3 pin cable I can buy?

Edit: I just bought a 3 pin extension cable
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 6, 2011 9:35:09 AM

How high can you overclock with the Cooler master Hyper 212plus? I live in California with no AC and gets pretty hot in my room and i wanted to start overclocking cpu.
m
l
a c 296 K Overclocking
February 6, 2011 1:42:04 PM

^Test the rig with prim95, LinX, OCCT or y-cruncher for 30 minutes, let me know the temps that you get.
m
l
!