Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Cons of NOT installing Windows7 or any OS on a new SSD

Last response: in Storage
December 9, 2010 6:33:52 AM

I'm considering buying a 60-80gig or so SSD in the near future. I've read here and there and I haven't seen this topic brought up much.

Other than Boot times (not important to me), what are the advantages of installing Win7 on the SSD and eating up 10+ gigs on the already small drive?

I was considering installing most of my games and apps that I use most often.

Would i lose the "snappiness" Win7 on the SSD supposedly brings? Isn't most of the OS loaded in the memory already?

Thank you in advance for anyone who helps
a b G Storage
December 9, 2010 6:51:58 AM

If you run Windows on a HDD, then it will be no faster than if you had no SSD in the system.
m
l
December 9, 2010 8:48:17 AM

randomizer said:
If you run Windows on a HDD, then it will be no faster than if you had no SSD in the system.

sorry because i haven't used a SSD first hand yet, but what will be "faster" other than boot up time? opening windows etc.?

if my browsers(FF & Chrome) and games, which my home PC is mainly used for, r on the SSD, won't they start and run faster?

thanx again for the help
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
December 9, 2010 9:15:44 AM

If they are on the SSD then yes they will be faster. General OS use will not be as snappy though. Win 7 really only takes up ~7GB if you disable hibernation and fix the page file at a small size (or move it off the SSD altogether). That's smaller than a lot of games.
m
l

Best solution

a c 127 G Storage
December 9, 2010 10:40:50 AM

Alot of people forget this logic:

If your OS is on SSD, and your games/whatever on HDD, then whenever you launch a game your HDD would only be reading the game; not hindered by the many small requests from the OS drive on all kinds of DLLs it needs to load. So an SSD for the system drive can benefit HDDs in your system too, since they can focus 100% on what they are storing without also having to serve system disk requests, which involves alot of seeking.
December 9, 2010 12:06:59 PM

sub mesa said:
Alot of people forget this logic:

If your OS is on SSD, and your games/whatever on HDD, then whenever you launch a game your HDD would only be reading the game; not hindered by the many small requests from the OS drive on all kinds of DLLs it needs to load. So an SSD for the system drive can benefit HDDs in your system too, since they can focus 100% on what they are storing without also having to serve system disk requests, which involves alot of seeking.

thank you for all the info.
I guess the OS on the SSD is the way to go. I didn't think about your points before.
I was curious since no one seemed to really ask this question b4.
thanx again
m
l
December 9, 2010 12:08:26 PM

Best answer selected by LUCKYSTARWZ.
m
l
!