Sign in with
Your question

Catalyst 9.5 perofrmance review

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 18, 2009 7:22:34 AM

There u go :) 
http://vr-zone.com/articles/catalyst-9.4-vs-catalyst-9....

"Generally, we see a slight increase in FPS among the benchmarks. Although the increase is not as much as we hoped for, it is still heartening to see that something was done to increase performance of the ATI cards. There is an anomaly however in benching COD5. FPS were actually lower when Catalyst 9.5 was used particularly when AA was enabled. This could be due to the nature of the test which could have introduced much more random errors than other benchmarks. That being said, we can conclude that Catalyst 9.5 does improves the performance of the cards"

May 18, 2009 7:41:17 AM

I was looking forward to these drivers, as you may know the ones on the disc for the 4770 are a bit hit and miss to say the least. This is all under XP by the way.
The fact that these drivers seem to have been set back and then seemed due to release then pulled again hints at more issues than cures.
I really am curious as to what the issues that delayed release were. People have been saying that these are another set of rushed drivers due to the 4770 not being suported by the 9.4's. Thats just not true. The 9.4 drivers were out over a month ago now.
Putting my conspiracy hat on here for a bit. Is it possable that they are bolaxing the drivers for XP or at least not putting that much effort into getting them running well under XP ?
When the new drivers come out i can test XP and W7 drivers from the same release (i asume this is valid) ? However at the minuite i get 2500 more 3dm 06 marks under W7 than i do under XP.

Mactronix
May 18, 2009 8:11:58 AM

Maziar said:
There u go :) 
http://vr-zone.com/articles/catalyst-9.4-vs-catalyst-9....

"Generally, we see a slight increase in FPS among the benchmarks. Although the increase is not as much as we hoped for, it is still heartening to see that something was done to increase performance of the ATI cards. There is an anomaly however in benching COD5. FPS were actually lower when Catalyst 9.5 was used particularly when AA was enabled. This could be due to the nature of the test which could have introduced much more random errors than other benchmarks. That being said, we can conclude that Catalyst 9.5 does improves the performance of the cards"

Still not showing up on ATI's site... I never install without an official readme, and a rollback position.
Related resources
May 18, 2009 9:52:54 AM

The new drivers actually raised the core clock on my 4830 from 585mhz to 600mhz, so thats nice.
May 18, 2009 10:26:57 AM

They're still not on at AMD's site.
May 18, 2009 1:00:44 PM

Yes they are not still on AMDs website i suggest to wait as well :) 
May 19, 2009 8:27:33 PM

its on their official site now
May 19, 2009 9:00:06 PM

What gets me is the fact that they don't have the 'release notes' for the 9.5 drivers.
May 19, 2009 10:44:04 PM

Release notes are there, but still labeled as 'draft'.
May 20, 2009 2:45:38 AM

I'm starting to think that the ATI driver team has no idea what they are doing, I saw a review showing zero performance increases, and even some declining performance, what's the point of releasing drivers if there are no gains ? And don't tell me they fixed a slew of bugs, because usually they only get to a couple.
!