Noctua fan on coolermaster hyper 212+

Dude420

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2010
This is just a question out of curiosity. The reason I'm asking this is because I have a 120mm noctua fan installed behind the hard drive cage, which is as close as I can get using it as a front intake fan. I'm using an Antec Sonata II for those who would like to know.

There's a chance in the future that I'll get myself a better video card but it might be too long and might touch the fan. So if I decided to remove the noctua fan, would it be of good use as a secondary fan on the Hyper 212+? When I bought the cpu cooler, it already came with the mounting gear for a secondary fan, so all I need is a 120mm fan.

Then again I can always find a card that's short enough and a great performer like a GTX 560 :p

Solution
When pairing up fans for a push / pull configuration, you should use matching fans.

Going by specs the fan supplied with the 212+ have a higher CFM than Noctua NF-P12 (I suppose is the one you have?), also, the 212+ fan is RPM controlled unlike the Noctua one.

Also keep in mind, using a push / pull setup will only drop your temps a few degrees (using matching fans).

Dude420

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2010
Yeah I know, which is why I'm going to do a lot of searching for the right sized gpu. Another question too, do you think the noctua will perform better if it's on the intake or exhaust side of the heatsink? Or does it make a difference at all? The fan I have now is the stock fan that came with the 212+.

lothdk

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
When pairing up fans for a push / pull configuration, you should use matching fans.

Going by specs the fan supplied with the 212+ have a higher CFM than Noctua NF-P12 (I suppose is the one you have?), also, the 212+ fan is RPM controlled unlike the Noctua one.

Also keep in mind, using a push / pull setup will only drop your temps a few degrees (using matching fans).

Solution

Dude420

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2010
Thanks guys for your help.

To loth, yes I suppose it be best to match up the 2 fans so I don't break the airflow. I guess the best thing to do is just buy a much roomier case. After all, my sonata 2 is reused anyway for budget purposes. If I want a bigger card, then I have no choice if I want to keep my configuration. Like dhong said, I do want a front intake fan.