Computer shuts down unexpectedly.

typeo

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2008
Ive built this computer a while back, around 8 months ago and have never had any problems with it, that is until now. For some reason when I start playing graphic intensive games my computer will just shut off. I think it is due to overheating because it has started to get really hot here, and I'm a poor college student, so I try not to turn on my AC to save some cash. But now I cant play my games. I have plenty of fans, and a good CPU cooler with arctic silver grease, and a case with good airflow.

My specs are:

Motherboard - P5Q Pro
PSU - Corsair 650W
GPU - ATI 4850
CPU - Intel Core Duo E8500 3.16GHz
CPU cooler - OCZ Vendetta 2
Case - Coolmaster RC-690
Fans - Have 6 fans in my case circulating air.

I have installed a few different temp measuring programs and my temps on my GPU have been idle 77C - 100C when playing games.. This is with my GPU fan going at 100%

My CPU cores have been ranging from 50 - 65C depending on idle or running a game. So I was wondering, is my computer just getting to hot and shutting down? Or do I have something else going on that is causing problems? If it is overheating, what it the culprit that is getting to hot and shutting down my computer?

Any help would be very appreciated,

Thanks,
Typeo

typeo

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2008

I have 4GB of RAM in my computer, but on my GPU Its only 512MB

In BIOS, set the voltage, timings and speed to Mfg. specs. Bump up the RAM voltage a notch.

I usually try to stay out of the BIOS so, I'm not exactly sure how to do this. What do you mean set it to Mfg?

Maybe install/reinstall the latest CAT 9.4 driver for the video card.

Did this 2 times last night.

Is the video card's fan spinning?

Yes, I have the computer with the side panel off sitting right beside me, and its spinning like crazy.

Maybe the VC's RAM is getting to hot. Maybe the card is toast? Do you have spare VC to try? Spare PSU?

Is there a way to get the temp from the VC's RAM?

Card still is working fine still. I can run my games, but only for about 30 min or so before my computer shuts down. No I sadly do not have a spare VC or PSU. :(

Thanks again for the help,
Typeo

The RAM has specifications the manufacturer will supply (written on the dimms) to run a an advertised speed. In BIOS, the memory will default to 1.8v which may not be enough to supply the correct power to the DIMMs. For example, the RAM may need 2.0-2.1v to operate properly otherwise your system may shut down and not run. Also, in BIOs the timings and speed are adjustable.

Besides heat, faulty or underpowered RAM the PSU could be bad. That leaves the MB, CPU and hard drive to think about.

typeo

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2008

I don't see how it could be faulty or underpowered RAM. The computer has ran fine for around 8 months now, and I pretty much play the same games now as I did back then. So if it was faulty or underpowered RAM, wouldn't I be having the same issues then as I am now?

Also on the bad PSU, if my PSU want getting enough power to my PC when I was playing a graphic intensive game, wouldn't my PC shut down pretty quickly after starting to play the game, not 30-45 min into it? I didn't figure my PC would require more power when I was playing a game for 10 min, or 30 min. I thought the power usage would remain the same. I could be wrong though.

But I do agree that the three things that I am looking at the most to be the culprit is the PSU, VC, or just being to damned hot in my house. But more than anything the heat seems to make more sense than anything else.

Also don't think I'm trying to say your opinions are wrong, im just stating my argument on why I don't think they are to possibly save some time with unneeded tests.

Thanks,
Typeo

I don't see how it could be faulty or underpowered RAM. The computer has ran fine for around 8 months now, and I pretty much play the same games now as I did back then. So if it was faulty or underpowered RAM, wouldn't I be having the same issues then as I am now?

Your RAM is not capable of failing over time? Have you ever tried running memtest? Having never been in the BIOS to adjust the memory to Mfg. specs, it's a wonder you have had stability for eight months. Stock cooler on the e8500? Notorious for faulty installation causing heat problems. Besides a driver problem, you will need spare parts to troubleshoot your systemm any farther. Spare RAM, PSU and video card for starters. If the problem is hardware related and beyond these three components, HD, CPU and MB. There is no more hardware to your system.

typeo

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2008

I didn't necessarily mean faulty, but more so underpowered. If it was underpowered, then I should of had problems a long time ago, but yes it could of just became "faulty", but I'm confused because if it is faulty then it should be giving me more problems than it is. Like I can play a MMO (Not very graphically demanding) for hours at a time and not have any problems but once I boot up a higher end game such as Left 4 Dead, my computer wont last but 30 - 45 min.

Also as I stated in the first post, I am running a CPU cooler - OCZ Vendetta 2 which at the time was one of the better CPU coolers on the market. So I am not running a stock cooler on my CPU.

I figure maybe the best route might be, to just get some chilled air to blow onto my PC while I run some games to keep my PC down to a decent degree, If that does not work ill then start looking into the faulty RAM / GPU issue, If I come up with nothing there and still seem to be having troubles Ill look into the PSU, maybe go out and get a PSU tester to see if that could be my trouble, and so on.

Thanks a bunch again,
Typeo

Maybe clean the dust out of the case with compressed air. I suppose if you have downloaded patches for your games over time that may possibly cause a 'crashing'problem. If a previous ATI driver version has worked flawlessy, you may try reverting back to say CAT 9.3. I will say heat is what destroys the hardware. So, if the system has developed an overheating problem, something could very well be damaged...the vidoe card, RAM possibly. So, maybe give it a good dusting and open up the airflow if it has been compromised over time. GL.

typeo

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2008
Just wanted to post a update...

I ended up taking my computer apart. Cleaning and dusting it out good, especially the VC. I also took the VC apart and got rid of the stock grease and put on some Artic silver 5. After I did all that it dropped my temps by around 30 - 40C.. Looks like is was just a dirty dusty system. :s