Of Newspapers and Homework...

I've noticed in the Goth house that rather than put the newspaper in
the front yard, the delivery person walks all the way around to the
side of house, outside the fence and leaves the newspaper there,
nowhere near any gates or doors.

Kids tend to drop off their homework there too (if the grade isn't an
A+, anyway). Before I found where they were putting it, it was a real
ah heck to tell them to do their homework because I didn't know where it
was!! I have to go into buy mode a *lot* to move them over somewhere
more realistic (like, say, the desk in their room?)

Any idea why this happens? And/or how to stop it happening?

~*~
vecki

Bluegenie2 said:

"They usually will put it near the mailbox. Is the mailbox on that
house on
the side?
Also, maybe all spots are taken up with objects or plants.
Try putting a table near the mailbox or clearing out a space near it"

I say:
nope, the mailbox is out the front of the house by the road, right
where it started in the game (it's the Goth mansion). I'll admit
there's not much room there, what with the fence one square from the
footpath and one shrub by the path up to the door, but that should
leave at least two spots for putting things down.

I've been putting end tables by the mailbox for bills purposes as I
work through the houses so that's something I might try and see what
happens.

~*~
vecki

"vecki" <vecsta02@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> I've noticed in the Goth house that rather than put the newspaper in
> the front yard, the delivery person walks all the way around to the
> side of house, outside the fence and leaves the newspaper there,
> nowhere near any gates or doors.
>
> Kids tend to drop off their homework there too (if the grade isn't an
> A+, anyway). Before I found where they were putting it, it was a real
> ah heck to tell them to do their homework because I didn't know where it
> was!! I have to go into buy mode a *lot* to move them over somewhere
> more realistic (like, say, the desk in their room?)
>
> Any idea why this happens? And/or how to stop it happening?
>
> ~*~
> vecki

The problem with the Goth house is that the front fence doesn't leave any
lot space in front of it for these things to be placed. To fix it to simply
move the fence a couple of squares back.

--
Morituri Nolumus Mori

MM

vecki wrote:
> I've noticed in the Goth house that rather than put the newspaper in
> the front yard, the delivery person walks all the way around to the
> side of house, outside the fence and leaves the newspaper there,
> nowhere near any gates or doors.
>
> Kids tend to drop off their homework there too (if the grade isn't an
> A+, anyway). Before I found where they were putting it, it was a real
> ah heck to tell them to do their homework because I didn't know where
> it was!! I have to go into buy mode a *lot* to move them over
> somewhere more realistic (like, say, the desk in their room?)
>
> Any idea why this happens? And/or how to stop it happening?
>
> ~*~
> vecki

That fence is too close to the sidewalk. The maid also won't seem to go up
the side of the fence to fetch the old papers to throw them away. One day
in my game, I sent Dina Goth around there to get rid of them and she decided
right then and there to give birth to Morty, Jr., on that one square up the
edge of the yard! Needless to say, I deleted the fence immediately. After
I did that, Alexander tended to take his homework in and put it down either
in the front hall by the piano or in the upstairs hall next to the
stairwell.

You have to keep an eye on the kids when they come off the bus to see where
they hide that homework. They will consistently take it to the same place.
In some of my houses, they automatically take it to the floor next to the
desk in their room, but I can't seem to get them to actually put it on the
desk. They always opt to do their homework on the floor.

That's the thing about building houses that look good versus ones that play
well in the game. Fences are nice looking, but they are a pain in the butt
when it comes to playing. Desks in a kid's bedroom look nice, and there are
some lovely ones you can download that match the rest of the decor in the
bedroom and all, but most of the kids won't use the desk for homework.
Unless you put a computer on it, they'll never sit at it at all, at least
that's been my experience.

Jeanie

ali

Jeanie wrote:
> vecki wrote:
>
>>I've noticed in the Goth house that rather than put the newspaper in
>>the front yard, the delivery person walks all the way around to the
>>side of house, outside the fence and leaves the newspaper there,
>>nowhere near any gates or doors.
>>
>>Kids tend to drop off their homework there too (if the grade isn't an
>>A+, anyway). Before I found where they were putting it, it was a real
>>ah heck to tell them to do their homework because I didn't know where
>>it was!! I have to go into buy mode a *lot* to move them over
>>somewhere more realistic (like, say, the desk in their room?)
>>
>>Any idea why this happens? And/or how to stop it happening?
>>
>>~*~
>>vecki
>

> That fence is too close to the sidewalk. The maid also won't seem to go up
> the side of the fence to fetch the old papers to throw them away. One day
> in my game, I sent Dina Goth around there to get rid of them and she decided
> right then and there to give birth to Morty, Jr., on that one square up the
> edge of the yard! Needless to say, I deleted the fence immediately. After
> I did that, Alexander tended to take his homework in and put it down either
> in the front hall by the piano or in the upstairs hall next to the
> stairwell.
>
> You have to keep an eye on the kids when they come off the bus to see where
> they hide that homework. They will consistently take it to the same place.
> In some of my houses, they automatically take it to the floor next to the
> desk in their room, but I can't seem to get them to actually put it on the
> desk. They always opt to do their homework on the floor.
>
> That's the thing about building houses that look good versus ones that play
> well in the game. Fences are nice looking, but they are a pain in the butt
> when it comes to playing. Desks in a kid's bedroom look nice, and there are
> some lovely ones you can download that match the rest of the decor in the
> bedroom and all, but most of the kids won't use the desk for homework.
> Unless you put a computer on it, they'll never sit at it at all, at least
> that's been my experience.
>
> Jeanie

When the kids in my game leave it on the floor, I usually just go into
buy mode and move it onto the desk in their room. Then they will do it
when prompted, as long as their fun level is high of course.

Ali

> I say:
> nope, the mailbox is out the front of the house by the road, right
> where it started in the game (it's the Goth mansion). I'll admit
> there's not much room there, what with the fence one square from the
> footpath and one shrub by the path up to the door, but that should
> leave at least two spots for putting things down.
>
> I've been putting end tables by the mailbox for bills purposes as I
> work through the houses so that's something I might try and see what
> happens.
>
> ~*~
> vecki

The best hack in my game is the PayBillsAtBox hack from MTS2. They get the
mail, walk a couple of squares away then turn around and pay it. They never
lay the bills down 90% of the time and if they do, it's right there by the
mailbox on the ground and it's only there for a second because they pick it
right back up again. Even better, they will actually go there and check the
box autonomously after you tell them to do it a couple of times.

The other hack I like a lot is the HomeworkSometimesFun hack, again at MTS2.
It allows them to have some free afternoons with no homework at all, and if
their grades are As, they can actually get some fun out of doing the
homework, though they still won't even attempt it unless their fun bar is at
least 50% green. I've had one or two teens who would do their homework
autonomously after they got up to an A.

Jeanie

Jeanie wrote:

> The best hack in my game is the PayBillsAtBox hack from MTS2.
> They
> get the mail, walk a couple of squares away then turn around
> and pay
> it.

I always cancel the "get mail"-action once they're on it. Then
they'll put the bills right on the ground where they are.

T.

strider

>The best hack in my game is the PayBillsAtBox hack from MTS2. They get the
>mail, walk a couple of squares away then turn around and pay it. They never
>lay the bills down 90% of the time and if they do, it's right there by the

Hm, I couldn't find that hack, but then I've never been able to find
anything at that site:)

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 17:43:26 GMT, Strider posted to alt.games.the-sims:

>> The best hack in my game is the PayBillsAtBox hack from MTS2. They
>> get the mail, walk a couple of squares away then turn around and pay
>> it. They never lay the bills down 90% of the time and if they do,
>> it's right there by the
>
> Hm, I couldn't find that hack, but then I've never been able to find
> anything at that site:)

No wonder you can't find it. If it's still there, it's probably an old
version anyway. Stay away from lagthesims2. Look here

http://www.variousimmers.net/vsimforum/forumdisplay.php?f=1

for all of the great JMP hacks. TwoJeffs, another prolific hack creator, is
also on the viariousimmers board now, having abandoned lagthesims2 for
greener pastures.

HTH

--
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes, several days attack me
at once.

Klaatu <klaatu@nospam.invalid> wrote in

> No wonder you can't find it. If it's still there, it's probably an
> old version anyway. Stay away from lagthesims2. Look here
>
> http://www.variousimmers.net/vsimforum/forumdisplay.php?f=1
>
> for all of the great JMP hacks. TwoJeffs, another prolific hack
> creator, is also on the viariousimmers board now, having abandoned
> lagthesims2 for greener pastures.
>
> HTH

Huh, what's your beef with MTS2? I've found a lot of good stuff there.

--
---->Sagittaria<----

"We appear to be hardwired to punish those who have slighted us, even
if - and this is the counterintuitive bit - even if our acts of
vengeance hurt us more than those who have trespassed against us."
-Peter Watts [based on http://snipurl.com/e0s6]

Bluegenie2 wrote:
> They usually will put it near the mailbox.

Not really. I've noticed no pattern where anyone puts newspapers or
homework.

I had that happen with my Goth house too, and not only that, but Sims
have to walk far out of their way to put objects there. Don't know why
they do that.

--
--Cuth

Jeanie wrote:
>>I say:
>>nope, the mailbox is out the front of the house by the road, right
>>where it started in the game (it's the Goth mansion). I'll admit
>>there's not much room there, what with the fence one square from the
>>footpath and one shrub by the path up to the door, but that should
>>leave at least two spots for putting things down.
>>
>>I've been putting end tables by the mailbox for bills purposes as I
>>work through the houses so that's something I might try and see what
>>happens.
>>
>>~*~
>>vecki
>

> The best hack in my game is the PayBillsAtBox hack from MTS2. They get the
> mail, walk a couple of squares away then turn around and pay it.

I have a better hack. I got it from ModTheSims but I don't remember
much more about it than that: it's a system that lets you hire a maid,
head housekeeper and/or gardener who live on your premises. You have to
download special NPC beds but that's it. You call them up like the
regular servants, but they come to your house and stay there forever.
Every day they prepare your meals, pay your bills, clean and garden for
you autonomously. In between they do the same thing regular Sims
do--they watch TV, chat, pee, eat, etc. I love having them in my game.

--
--Cuth

strider

>> Hm, I couldn't find that hack, but then I've never been able to find
>> anything at that site:)
>
>No wonder you can't find it. If it's still there, it's probably an old
>version anyway. Stay away from lagthesims2. Look here
>
>http://www.variousimmers.net/vsimforum/forumdisplay.php?f=1
>
>for all of the great JMP hacks. TwoJeffs, another prolific hack creator, is
>also on the viariousimmers board now, having abandoned lagthesims2 for
>greener pastures.

Thanks, I found it.

strider

>> for all of the great JMP hacks. TwoJeffs, another prolific hack
>> creator, is also on the viariousimmers board now, having abandoned
>> lagthesims2 for greener pastures.
>>
>> HTH
>>

>Huh, what's your beef with MTS2? I've found a lot of good stuff there.

But the site is so slow it takes ages to find anything. I might as
well be on 2400 baud dial-up instead of 10Mbits broadband.

Jo

WOW! thanks for that link to various simmers....they have some fantastic
stuff... I signed up right away :)

~ jo

http://thesims2.ea.com/mysimpage/mysimpage.php?user_id=223269

Cuthbert Gurdlestone wrote:
> Jeanie wrote:
>>> I say:
>>> nope, the mailbox is out the front of the house by the road, right
>>> where it started in the game (it's the Goth mansion). I'll admit
>>> there's not much room there, what with the fence one square from the
>>> footpath and one shrub by the path up to the door, but that should
>>> leave at least two spots for putting things down.
>>>
>>> I've been putting end tables by the mailbox for bills purposes as I
>>> work through the houses so that's something I might try and see what
>>> happens.
>>>
>>> ~*~
>>> vecki
>>

>> The best hack in my game is the PayBillsAtBox hack from MTS2. They
>> get the mail, walk a couple of squares away then turn around and pay
>> it.
>
> I have a better hack. I got it from ModTheSims but I don't remember
> much more about it than that: it's a system that lets you hire a maid,
> head housekeeper and/or gardener who live on your premises. You have
> to download special NPC beds but that's it. You call them up like the
> regular servants, but they come to your house and stay there forever.
> Every day they prepare your meals, pay your bills, clean and garden
> for you autonomously. In between they do the same thing regular Sims
> do--they watch TV, chat, pee, eat, etc. I love having them in my
> game.

Can you do that with the Nanny as well?

Jeanie

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 03:55:45 GMT, Cuthbert Gurdlestone posted to
alt.games.the-sims:

> I have a better hack. I got it from ModTheSims but I don't remember
> much more about it than that: it's a system that lets you hire a maid,
> head housekeeper and/or gardener who live on your premises. You have to
> download special NPC beds but that's it. You call them up like the
> regular servants, but they come to your house and stay there forever.
> Every day they prepare your meals, pay your bills, clean and garden for
> you autonomously. In between they do the same thing regular Sims
> do--they watch TV, chat, pee, eat, etc. I love having them in my game.

They're called dma NPCs. The guy who made them moved all his stuff to a
separate website: http://valdea.com/

HTH

--
People who go looking to be offended will rarely be disappointed

"Jeanie" <Nobody@home.com> wrote in

> Cuthbert Gurdlestone wrote:

>>> The best hack in my game is the PayBillsAtBox hack from MTS2.
>>> They get the mail, walk a couple of squares away then turn
>>> around and pay it.
>>
>> I have a better hack. I got it from ModTheSims but I don't
>> remember much more about it than that: it's a system that lets
>> you hire a maid, head housekeeper and/or gardener who live on
>> your premises. You have to download special NPC beds but that's
>> it. You call them up like the regular servants, but they come to
>> your house and stay there forever. Every day they prepare your
>> meals, pay your bills, clean and garden for you autonomously. In
>> between they do the same thing regular Sims do--they watch TV,
>> chat, pee, eat, etc. I love having them in my game.
>
> Can you do that with the Nanny as well?
>
> Jeanie

The set includes a babysitter who is a teenage nanny - see
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?p=182260

--

Jeanie wrote:

> Can you do that with the Nanny as well?

Nope, though there may be another hack on the site for a live-in nanny,
just haven't looked.

--
--Cuth