Sign in with
Your question

Random crashes, is my board fried?

Tags:
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
October 15, 2009 5:55:01 AM

I just finished building my first comp a few weeks ago. Half of that time has been spent in the repair shop. I had a store warranty and went through 3 EVGA 260GTX's, each having a random issue. The first wouldn't show the monitor. The second gave me a boot loop with a fragmented screen. The third screwed up my games graphics and gave me completely random BSOD. It worked for a day or two after each new card. I swapped the last faulty card out for two XFX Radeon HD 4770's. They worked for a while. But now my games are having serious issues. The renderings in Spore are taking way longer than they should, and the game closes for no reason on top of that. The event viewer blames the spore.exe. Heroes of Might and Magic 5 won't even open. It either shows nothing on my screen but takes up half my cpu or starts with an error. The odd times it works it lasts for about 20 min. Other games will crash after that 20 or so min with the monitor going black, after 5 min or so of being like this the computer finally restarts. Sometimes when I play any game I will get a BSOD blaming my video driver, which is updated. I have no problems starting my comp, except the windows XP logo looks weird, as if there's no graphics card. My BIOS settings (which have basically no deviations from the default) remain. I have no idea what is happening. The repair place where my warranty is covered has given me no help. I'm getting sick and tired of all these issues. Could they all have just stemmed from a bad MB? I don't have a sound card.

MB: Gigabyte MA790X-UD4P
CPU: AMD Phenom X2 550 3.12GHz
HD: Western Digital 1TB
Power Supply: 650 Watt
GPU x2: XFX Radeon HD 4770
Case: Antec 900

More about : random crashes board fried

a b V Motherboard
October 15, 2009 6:59:10 AM

Quote:
went through 3 EVGA 260GTX's

:o 

Quote:
I swapped the last faulty card out for two XFX Radeon HD 4770's. They worked for a while.

:sol: 

Quote:
The odd times it works it lasts for about 20 min. Other games will crash after that 20 or so min with the monitor going black, after 5 min or so of being like this the computer finally restarts. Sometimes when I play any game I will get a BSOD blaming my video driver, which is updated.

At the very least try a different PSU.
a b V Motherboard
October 15, 2009 5:18:25 PM

Don't know about the motherboard. I would do a reinstall, but i was curious about the PSU mauufacturer.

Have you thought about trying to boot just using the onboard video to see what effect if any there might be. I would strip down the components and boot woth the bare minimum to try and isolate what might be the trouble.
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
October 15, 2009 5:21:49 PM

Hows your temps? cpu seated well?
October 16, 2009 4:23:50 AM

My temps are low and my cpu is sitting well

The PSU manufacturer is Corsair and its plugged into a surge protector.

I've monitored my power usage in the task manager, it never rose above 50% or so usage, thats the extreme peak it normally sat at around 25%, during the good gameplay time.

A reinstall is not an option, I used an old XP OEM disc that was sitting there with no install code, so I stole it off the case of my old comp. I didn't validate windows, and that old comp has been taken off to the dump. Didn't think I would need it for anything and seeing as how it had crap parts to begin with and I was planing on upgrading to Windows 7 anyways. Just a few more days...

I also can't do any bare minimum boot the motherboard doesn't have a video slot. Would uninstalling the video drivers be enough for that?

I also forgot to mention the driver irql not less or equal BSOD's that pop up occasionally.

Edit: Tried running with no video drivers, booted up successfully but when I tried to play Spore see what would happen and nothing did. Tried installing direct X 9 from a disc but again, nothing happened.

2nd Edit:Tried using the last 260GTX the store gave me, I hadn't used it before I installed the 4770's so I figured something might change, and I had the exact same issues. Reinstalled Windows XP (used Belarc to recover product key) and nothing has changed. Measured CPU temp before a game crash and it read out to around 30C. Tried running with single 4770 and again no change.
!