Update 5/4: Devices not found, yet Vista loads???

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
When I started my system up for the first time, it goes through the post and everything is fine. I see something that says: finding devices: no devices found. When it loads to Windows Vista, both hard drives are showing. What am I missing? Also, I changed the boot order from CD-ROM to Hard Drive. Was I suppose to change which Hard Drive to boot from or Windows does that? When I changed the order of Hard Drives, and restarted, it gave me an error message and asked me to insert boot cd and press any key. Was I not suppose to touch which Hard drive to have it boot from? My sticky point is still the issue over, no devices found. Anyone heard of this? Thanx!

r_manic

Administrator
Well, usually when Windows Setup restarts your system the second time, you should be booting from the hard disk.

Maybe it couldn't find your devices because you haven't installed the drivers for your hardware? Like for your motherboard and graphics card for instance.

xthekidx

Splendid
Dec 24, 2008
So the very first time you booted it up, it just said no devices found and then booted into Vista? You didn't have to format the HDD and intall vista first? The first time you boot up, you need to boot from the CD drive and put the OS disk in there, and then you should be walked through formatting the HDD and installing the OS. Once you have installed vista, then you change the boot order to be the HDD first.

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
When I initially turned on my system, (after getting nervous), only one beep and it went to the BIOS screen. I was looking at the system health to make sure everything was ok and then I went to change the boot sequence. I changed it to the CDROM (I put in Vista). The system loaded to the initial install screen for Vista (64bit Home Premium for System Builders). I put in the code and it asked me where I wanted to install it. It showed my 1TB WD Caviar Black SATA II HDD and the WD 300GB Velociraptor. It showed 973GB free on the first HDD and 273 free on the Raptor. No where did it say anything about formating and/or partitioning but it wouldn't let me put Vista on either HDD. I clicked on what looked like a yellow sun and it showed me the HDD space and it then showed 2 WD HDD's with 973GB of space and 2 WD Raptor's with 273GB of space. The one I created, I was able to click next without an error message. Windows installed, loaded, restarted, and after the post screen, it said: no devices shown yet it loaded Vista with no problems. In the Device Manager, both HDD's are there. All done, I changed the boot sequence to 1-HDD and 2-CD yet it still says: no devices shown.

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006

Hmm is that possible? I don't have any IDE drives this time. I only have 2 SATA HDD's and 1 DVD-RW SATA drive. I disabled the onboard sound and changed the boot sequence.

Yes, the message is most likely coming from the IDE controller. If you go into the BIOS and disable the IDE controller you should get rid of the message.

marcellis22

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
You can spend as much time on these boards to become an ADDICT, but don't know your computer hardware??? Integrated Drive Electronics (IDE), the basis for running any hard drive other than SCSI... Yes, you can have Vista boot ALL DAY and still have other hardware not being found because you don't have the drivers installed. Go out to your motherboard manufactures site and download ALL the drivers and install them, then see where you're at...

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006

Thanx shortstuff and daship, I'll disable the IDE controller in the BIOS when I get home and see if the message disappears.

Marcellis, thanx for the added info and jab (not needed nor helpful, I might add; concerning the jab). Maybe 3/4 of my posts are not questions concerning hardware. I've loaded all the drivers to make sure everything is at least running smoothly. Later, i will check to see if there is a update for my mobo. Concerning the chipset and all drivers on the mobo cd, I loaded them all. When I get home later, I'll double check concerning any updates to my mobo. I don't think I saw it, unless I just missed it.

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
OK- update. I couldnt find anything concerning the floppy disk. On post, it shows not floppy disk as well as inside the BIOS. It does show SATA mode as IDE in integrate peripherals menu onboard PATA/SATA device. Was I suppose to change this to AHCI. SATA mode shows, IDE, RAID and AHCI. I couldnt find anything in the BIOS showing FDD.

I have at SATA 0 HDD (Raptor)
SATA 1 HDD (WD Black 1TB SATA II)
SATA 2 LG DVD_RW 22x

Jack64

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
Mine on boot goes thru the Marvell raid controller setup stuff and says "no hardware detected" then procedes to load windows, I just ignore it and go on. Is that what your referring to??

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
Yeah, it says no hardware detected. Everything is fine though. It posts, one beep, loads to Vista and thats it. WHen it shows the processor speed and ram, it shows my DVD-RW and 2 hard drives. I was just wondering if anyone gets this and if there is a remedy. If not, I rule by the notion of; if it's not broken...leave it alone :)