What Video/Graphics Card to buy?

Larry141

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
I am building a new computer and cannot decide which video/graphics card to buy. There are so many brands and models it is mind boggling. Until now I had on an onboard card. So, I don't really know much about the best brand, model etc. to use. I want to be able to play some games. I do a lot of multitasking and will use one of the following mobo's GA-EP45-UD3R, GA-EP45C-UD3R, GA-EP45-UD3P, GA-EP45T-UD3P. CPU Intel E8400,or Q8200. Gskill Memory, Onboard Audio, PSU 485 Watt, will upgrade if necessary. I would like a card that doesn't use to much power or has it's own, at least 512Mb of memory, and is quiet, with good reviews. Yeah, I know, I want it all, and under $100. Thanks for all advice.

Would you like us to carry you about as well?;)
Please be more detailed about 'some games' and list your monitor resoloution.
For moderate gaming at 16x10 or lower: HD4770/9800GT or HD4830/9600GT for a little less, and a little less performance.
They should all run happily on your PSU.
Do not pay more for a 1Gb card, they are not fast enough to use the extra memory.
Do not pay more for 'overclocked' cards, the performance gain is usually not worth the extra.
ATI usually have better DVD/Blu-Ray performance and output.
I have ben told Nvidia can have better text clarity.
Read the Newegg reviews.
BFG, XFX and EVGA have the best warranties and customer support.

lonelypauly

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2005

lonelypauly

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2005

I have to disagree with that statement homeslice! Try GTA IV on a monitor larger than 30" and you will see the light.

Larry141

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
Hello coozie7,

Thanks for your reply. Nah, don't need carried about, just need your advice, however, if you want to go a step further, don't let me stop you :{)

My LCD Monitor is a Samsung Model 910T, native resolution is 1280 x 1024, it is about 4 years old, it works great. It does have a DVI connection. I don't believe it is HD TV compatible, but I would rather buy a card now that is and update the monitor later on. I don't presently play any games due to the hardware in this puter. I built it about 8 years ago and can't upgrade it much mainly because of the money it would take to do so. It is an Intel D850GB mobo with RDRAM and wearing out fast. I am more interested in watching DVD's on it, and playing something like Call of Duty: World at War. I have no plans for overclocking. I would like to eventually go to HD TV, and Blu-Ray. I also have a Punch Architectural software that also shows 3D. I do read the Newegg reviews and have read many looking for a card, but so many reviews are bad due to individuals who don't check compatibility before they buy and install, or attempt to anyway. Most don't say what they are running the cards with i.e., mobo, CPU, Monitor, RAM etc. I decided that this forum would be my best bet. So far I am right on that. Your advice is good and appreciated. Thanks again, Larry141

Larry141

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
Hello lonelypauly,
Thanks for your reply. I went to newegg and looked the 4770's. I read a good article in Tom's Hardware yesterday the said the 4770 was a great deal for the money. Thanks for looking that up for me. Here is what I wrote re; my monitor, gaming etc. Later on and thanks again, Larry141

My LCD Monitor is a Samsung Model 910T, native resolution is 1280 x 1024, it is about 4 years old, it works great. It does have a DVI connection. I don't believe it is HD TV compatible, but I would rather buy a card now that is and update the monitor later on. I don't presently play any games due to the hardware in this puter. I built it about 8 years ago and can't upgrade it much mainly because of the money it would take to do so. It is an Intel D850GB mobo with RDRAM and wearing out fast. I am more interested in watching DVD's on it, and playing something like Call of Duty: World at War. I have no plans for overclocking. I would like to eventually go to HD TV, and Blu-Ray. I also have a Punch Architectural software that also shows 3D. I do read the Newegg reviews and have read many looking for a card, but so many reviews are bad due to individuals who don't check compatibility before they buy and install, or attempt to anyway. Most don't say what they are running the cards with i.e., mobo, CPU, Monitor, RAM etc. I decided that this forum would be my best bet. So far I am right on that. Your advice is good and appreciated. Thanks again, Larry141

Larry141

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009

Larry141

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
lonelypauly

How does the Radeon 4770 compare to the GIGABYTE GV-N98TOC-512I GeForce 9800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card?
Newegg has the GeForce 9800GT on a combo deal with the GA-EP45-U3DP with Gigabyte rebate (I am aware of the Gigabyte rebate issues) for a total of $160! Great deal if you get the rebate money before the end of this year. But, I want the better of the two cards, and would rather spend the money on the 4770 if it is the better card. Let me know.

Thanks, Larry141

TRENDING THREADS