9800gtx+ or gtx260

zeruin

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
Ok.. so I'm looking to possibly replace my "old" graphics card.. I have an 8800gt that seems to be having a few too many problems lately.. I'm looking to upgrade to a 9800 GTX+ or a GTX 260.. but I'm stumped as to which one I should choose.. I'm going to assume that the GTX 260 is better, simply because of the higher price.. but feel free to convince me otherwise.. lol

Anywho, I mainly play games like CoD4 and etc.. and I'm looking into picking up a copy of CoD5 just for the heck of it. Newegg has a few specials on GPUs that bundle CoD5 with the card, so that's definately a bonus, and would save me about $50 at the local stores. I don't need to extremely future proof the system, as I will probably replace the entire thing in another 2 years.

So which should I go with..? My system is about 2 years old.. and I'm not looking to update too much yet, but here's my specs.
e2160 @ 3.0
2gb ram
450w Corsair with single 12v 33a
Gigabyte P35-DS3L mobo
8800gt

As of lately, I've been getting random crashes or graphics artifacts after about 1-2hr of gaming. Whether I'm playing CoD4, Fear, or some random 3d mmorpgs.. I usually get the same kinda failure. I've rebooted, reinstalled, and tried just about everything in my hat of tricks.. but I'm just going to put the blame on the 8800gt and get a new card, considering I plan on buying CoD5 anyways, why not get it free with a new GPU purchase.. If I choose either of the new cards, how likely is it that I should consider upgrading my PSU..? It has 33a on a single 12v, so I would it might be just good enough, but you tell me.

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
hmmmmmm....well, I can tell you at resolutions of 1680x1050 and lower, even an 8800gts 640mb will easily max out cod4 and cod5 and give you framerates of about 50-200 depending on which map. It might not be the latest and greatest, but if ur resolutions is same as that or lower then it will do everything you need and it costs a mere 100 if not less compared to some of those other cards that wont benefit you. I would save your money and buy a really nice videocard in two years when u will upgrade your system, but for now buying those cards is a total waste. You would better buy in 2 years an awsome card like a gtx 300 or something which will really crank out that power. Thats my advice :) hope i helped

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
Oh I forgot to mention that you cannot get a gtx260 anyway, becuase you would have to upgrade to a 630watter PSU becuase thats its power requirement, which limits your choice to a 9800gtx+ which requires a MINIMUM of a 450watt and powersupplys lose the amount of wattage they make over time and since yours is two years there is no way it makes that power which elimates both of these cards. Also your processor is a major bottleneck, it is an old pentium processor with a slow clock speed and you wont get absolutly any benefit from a 9800gtx or gtx260 even if you had them. However an 8800gts 640mb requires a mere 400watts to work, its overclockable a lot, and its cheap. So thats your bets choice.

The Corsair PSU is a good one but your CPU is not so hot, it will severely restrict a GTX260.
The good news is that is does support much fater CPUs':

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/CPUSupport_Model.aspx?ProductID=2629

Unless you will-or can afford to-replace the CPU I would suggest a less powerful GPU card. Look to the 9800GTX or HD 4850.
I take it you have cleaned out you heatsinks and fans? Sounds like the 8800 is overheating.

zeruin

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
Ahh.. I just read up on the PSU requirements for the gtx 260.. and your right, it does seem to be outta the picture unless I pickup a new psu.. but I'm actually considering picking up a new PSU just for the heck of it anyways.. and put the 8800gt and 450w psu in 2nd computer.. but thats a different topic altogether.. the main reason I'm looking to upgrade is because I want to play CoD5.. and I figure, I might as well buy a new GPU since it seems to come free with most of them anyways..

anywho, so If I were to keep my current PSU, the best, or most compatable upgrade would simply be a 8800gts? On the other hand, if I were to upgrade my GPU and PSU, then which should I consider? the 9800gtx+ or the gtx260?

Is this the 8800gts I should consider if I keep the current PSU?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130325

zeruin

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
coozie

The 8800gt isn't overheating.. and my case is near spotless and well cooled.. I have the cpu stable OC to 3.0 on air.. with 32-33c idle temps and full load no higher than 50c.. my gpu idles around 55c and load no higher than 70c or so..

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
your processor would still hold you back, thats basically a waste becuase you might as well buy a new computer :) see what i mean, the upgrade is not worth it, for now just spend a 100bucks for 8800gts 640mb version (which will max it out unless your processor is holding you back which it probably is). All your other money I highly suggest saving for a good and powerful new system where you can get a good PSU, GPU, MOTHERBOARD, and most importantly a CPU. Thats my suggesting and i thinks its most convenient for you :) think about it, but its your decision, just trying to help.

rewindlabs

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009

You do not need a 630 watt psu for a gtx 260...do your damn research....

And no a 450 watt is not a minimum for the 9800gtx+...it all depends on your system load...at 100% peak load my 9800gtx+ system draws no more than 300 watts...280 watts is its normal full load operating wattage...

good find on the 8800gts though..

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
rewindlabs is sort of right, depends on how power consuming your other hardware is but I looked at a reliable wesbsite and thats what they said! I got that information from www.xfxforce.com

zeruin

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
hmm.. well I'm kinda stuck... I don't really feel like upgrading my cpu or psu just yet.. so I'll go ahead and settle for just the new graphics card.. and the free game.

I guess it's a duel between the 8800gts and the 9800gtx+ right? I listed my system specs above, and you guys say my cpu will bottleneck anything higher, so the question is.. can I actually handle a 9800gtx+ with a Corsair 450VX? All of the websites say it needs a minimum of 450w with 24a on a 12v.. and I have 33a on a single 12v.. so I would assume it would work well enough, right?

I've heard Corsair PSUs are underrated anyways..? here's someone I quoted..
"You will find alot of the good power supply manufacturers rate their power supplies significantly lower. For example
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6817139003
Its only listed as a 450W powersupply but it has 396 watts available on the 12V rail alone, they rate it lower than it is capable of so there is no way you will come close to its limit. "

Personally, I'm kinda leaning towards the 9800gtx+ just because it's newer.. and only $15 more than the 8800gts.. what do you guys think? Cmon guys.. I need to kill some Nazi Zomies already! lol..

rewindlabs

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
Make sure you buy either an XFX or EVGA or BFG card due to there great warrantys.....and yes your psu is more than enough to run the 9800gtx+...

Enjoy.....

^+1
$15 for so much extra performnce is a bargain, and it will, as the others have said, run comfortably on your PSU which is, trust us, a quality unit.
You might want to bookmark that Gigabyte link as well, their site has a lot of info but can be awkward to navigate.