HDD problem or corrupt OS?

Morathi

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2009
Hi all :D

I have joined this forum in hope to get an answer for this frustrating situation for me.

So, I'm helping a friend of mine with his computer. He said there was something wrong with his screen.
After some testing, I concluded the problem was either the HDD or Vista.

I will kep it all short so I make a summary.

-A black screen pops up after seeing the loading screen of Vista
-Pressing F8 will bring you to a menu for Safe Mode etc. If I choose safe mode, it stops at: crcdisk.sys
-If I choose something else in that menu like: Last Known Configuration or System Recovery, it loads, then Vista loads but then you get a blue screen(Not a BSOD!) instead of a black one. It's Windows XP blue-ish.
-Reinstalling Windows doesn't work either. Because when you click on install now, it says something like: loading now(translated). And it keeps loading..hours..hours.
-Also, installing Linux dos not work.
-Repairing the HDD with the Vista installtion disk also takes forever.
-I also tried Vista Recovery Disk, which obviously doesn't work.
-I tried to deattach unusefull components like the WLAN card, I tried disabling USB Legacy also.
-The HDD does get recognised by the BIOS. And if I deattach it fro mthe computer(unplugging power supply and sata cable) the boot screen gives an error. So it is not really broken.
-Also, when you want to install Vista you can choose to repair and you get an option to load some kind of setup file. And this is where I can see ALL the data. So the data is still there and I have the possibility to get it off so its all safe.

As you can see, it like having this: you know a solution, but the another problem occurs and so on.
I tried 10000 of things, all of the do not work unfortunately. Its like a combination with all kinds of problems.

So I have 3 questions:
-Is the HDD broken yes or no and why(data still excists and shows up in BIOS). Does the HDD needs to be replaced(after saving all the data)
-How van I EVER format the HDD if I can't get into Safe Mode or just anything?
-Is the a solution perphaps?

Please, I tried many forums. Mostly no answer. I'm trying other foreign forums now.
I have more hope to get an answer here than other forums I tried out.

Sunday I will get the data of with my external HDD at my friend.

I absolutely appreciate your time and answer, I really do.

Regards :)

What brand of hard drive?

Go to the manufacturers website and download their hard drive utility and create a disk from it to boot from. Boot into the utility and check the disk for errors.

A bad hard drive can do strange things to your system. That's my 1st guess...

Morathi

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2009
Its a Hitachi, in a HP computer.
Yeah, I wouldn't choose for a brand computer :kaola: Was their choice and I didn't knew him at that time. Self-assembling ftw <3 :na:
Anyway, I will check that soon. I have to go to my job now, so I will download that test program and I will try it out on monday(not on sunday).

Thanks for your answer englandr753 :D

More answers are more than welcome by the way hehe :)

Yes, download the ISO file and convert and burn to disk and boot from it. You will see a dos type menu and you choose the proper options to diagnose your hard drive.

Read the manual they provide if you don't understand the menus.