Sign in with
Your question

Overclocking for i7, x58 board & Mushkin DDR3 1600 12GB Memory

Last response: in Overclocking
February 4, 2011 8:16:31 PM

Hello,

I have the specs below. I'm trying to understand the best overclocking options (multipliers, etc) for the CPU, RAM and GPU. I know this is a lot to consider together and I didnt want to overcompensate one's strength for the other's. Thank you for any suggestions!

EVGA E760 CLASSIFIED "Overclocker's Pick" 3-Way SLI PhysX 1366 Intel X58 EATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core i7-975 Extreme Edition Bloomfield 3.33GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor

Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 12GB (3 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory

Antec TPQ-1200 1200W Continuous Power with PowerCache Technology SLI Ready CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

ZALMAN CNPS9900ALED 120mm 2 Ball Low-noise Blue LED CPU Cooler
a c 120 à CPUs
a c 183 K Overclocking
February 5, 2011 5:57:32 AM

Hello and Welcome to Tom's!
Nice gear!
Not too crazy about your cooler though if you plan on mid-high o'cing.
Remove the plastic shroud it's a hindrance to performance.
m
l
February 12, 2011 3:42:26 AM

davcon said:
Hello and Welcome to Tom's!
Nice gear!
Not too crazy about your cooler though if you plan on mid-high o'cing.
Remove the plastic shroud it's a hindrance to performance.

What do you mean by "plastic shroud"? Are you referring to Air cooling? Or the fan cooler I'm using on the CPU?

Settings wise, I managed to get cpu overclocked to 4.3, however I have encountered inconsistencies. So, aside from going with water cooling (pricey), is there anything that can be done to cool and maintain a high clock ratio? Thanks again!
m
l
a c 120 à CPUs
a c 183 K Overclocking
February 12, 2011 10:24:20 PM

lthoneycutt3 said:
What do you mean by "plastic shroud"? Are you referring to Air cooling? Or the fan cooler I'm using on the CPU?

Settings wise, I managed to get cpu overclocked to 4.3, however I have encountered inconsistencies. So, aside from going with water cooling (pricey), is there anything that can be done to cool and maintain a high clock ratio? Thanks again!

Don't worry about it the earlier version of that cooler CNPS9900LED came with a plastic shroud that hindered performance.
It was removable but Zalman obviously figured it out hence the version you have "A".
m
l
!