Overclocking for i7, x58 board & Mushkin DDR3 1600 12GB Memory

Hello,

I have the specs below. I'm trying to understand the best overclocking options (multipliers, etc) for the CPU, RAM and GPU. I know this is a lot to consider together and I didnt want to overcompensate one's strength for the other's. Thank you for any suggestions!

EVGA E760 CLASSIFIED "Overclocker's Pick" 3-Way SLI PhysX 1366 Intel X58 EATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core i7-975 Extreme Edition Bloomfield 3.33GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor

Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 12GB (3 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory

Antec TPQ-1200 1200W Continuous Power with PowerCache Technology SLI Ready CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

ZALMAN CNPS9900ALED 120mm 2 Ball Low-noise Blue LED CPU Cooler
3 answers Last reply
More about overclocking board mushkin ddr3 1600 12gb memory
  1. Hello and Welcome to Tom's!
    Nice gear!
    Not too crazy about your cooler though if you plan on mid-high o'cing.
    Remove the plastic shroud it's a hindrance to performance.
  2. davcon said:
    Hello and Welcome to Tom's!
    Nice gear!
    Not too crazy about your cooler though if you plan on mid-high o'cing.
    Remove the plastic shroud it's a hindrance to performance.

What do you mean by "plastic shroud"? Are you referring to Air cooling? Or the fan cooler I'm using on the CPU?

Settings wise, I managed to get cpu overclocked to 4.3, however I have encountered inconsistencies. So, aside from going with water cooling (pricey), is there anything that can be done to cool and maintain a high clock ratio? Thanks again!
  3. lthoneycutt3 said:
    What do you mean by "plastic shroud"? Are you referring to Air cooling? Or the fan cooler I'm using on the CPU?

Settings wise, I managed to get cpu overclocked to 4.3, however I have encountered inconsistencies. So, aside from going with water cooling (pricey), is there anything that can be done to cool and maintain a high clock ratio? Thanks again!

Don't worry about it the earlier version of that cooler CNPS9900LED came with a plastic shroud that hindered performance.
    It was removable but Zalman obviously figured it out hence the version you have "A".
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Overclocking Product