Raid 0 problems after power feilure

blauer

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2010
After a power out I have problems booting pc.
First I got en error saying cmos something. Guess the time and date settings?
I have only used the onboard raid on the motherboard.

Hardware:
Asus P5N-E SLI motherboard.
4 HDD running raid 0.
All SATA connectors are still plugged in and have not been removed.

I can see all drives from BIOS so drive health seems ok.

Browsing other sites it seems that I must restore BIOS settings. But when I try to boot it also seems I can push trough and try booting, which I don't dare to do in fear of breaking RAID or bios or making problems worst somehow.

I did not set up the raid myself so I do not know anything about the details like stripe size or thelike.

Can I just try booting or do I make RAID useless if I touch anything before this problem is sorted?

I am worried because I dont have any backups of the data.

sub mesa

Distinguished
Try setting your SATA controller to RAID mode in the BIOS. If you can boot again then, everything is fine.

If not, then you would want Ubuntu Linux recovery procedure for onboard RAIDs. Download an Ubuntu livecd, boot it, click try out ubuntu and you should see a desktop appearing. Click the menu Places and select Home, a new window will open. In that window, you should be able to click ".. GB Filesystem" on the left panel of that window, which would reveal all your RAID-array contents, after which you can backup over the network.

Please try the first method first.

And if your data is important to you, i can recommend protecting your data instead of letting it decay on a low-quality RAID solution; external 2TB disks are cheap now so no real reason NOT to backup; right?

blauer

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2010
Thx man. I will go to work just as soon as I am home tonight.
If this work out well for med rest assure I will have some sort of automated backup system running within few weeks.

1haplo

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
As long as you did not remove the drives from the RAID you can set the SATA to RAID and it will keep your RAID settings. When I updated the BOIS on my PC the SATA went back to IDE mode. I changed it to RAID and it kept my RAID0.

AS long as you do not remove the drives form the RAID in the RAID configure screen the drives will remain in RAID.

I have also changed my motherboard form a P5B Deluxe to the Rampage Formula and it kept my RAID0. Due to the fact the both had the Intel chipset and Intel RAID I did not have to reinstall Windows. This is not recommend but it can work.

blauer

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2010
Thx for the help here. Well I am back home now and will get to work on the pc.
Any tips for automatic backup when I have Raid working?

I have an even older pc that I can use for on-site backup. What kind of software or script is needed to make backups invisible, they just keep happening behind the scene without me having to remember to start task or manage job. Something that could backup only files that have changed would be nice and will put less straing on the network as well.

Good advice from the posters above. I just wanted to chime in about a possible source for your problems. If your CMOS does not hold it's settings when power has been removed, it's probably time to replace the motherboard CMOS battery. Otherwise, whenever power is removed from the system you will lose your BIOS settings. You can pick up CMOS batteries anywhere (like Radio Shack). It's a CR2032 button type battery.