Corsair 12 GB XMS vs 6GB Dominator Which is better?

robertomad

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
Looking at these rams the price is almost the same but is Dominator worth the extra cash? Thanks.Looking at these rams the price is almost the same but is Dominator worth the extra cash? Thanks.

Well depends on what you want to do with the PC...as you have said in an another post that you would be using the PC for 3D rendering and Video converting, I feel better off going with XMS3 as the above tasks are memory hogs and 12 GB would easily satisfy their needs...
And the Dominators are mostly for enthusiasts who want to push the PC to the limit, benchmark it and test it...They overclock to a greater margin than the XMS3 but not too much...
As for general users, the XMS3 is more than suffice...and they are also rock solid...

robertomad

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
Thanks gkay09 and apache_lives. I'm not really an OC enthusiast, I was thinking of getting i7-965 but after of putting a lot of questions in the community and reading a LOT of forums I was finally convinced that it's not worth it. So I will try to OC i7-920 D0 to get i7-965. I just hope my decision is right. As I have stated on my previous post my next rig will definitely be after 5-6 Years.

Well of course the Dominator is better than the XMS3...but as I said earlier they are more of a High-end enthusiast product and the XMS3 is a High-end user product...
I say again the XMS3 is more than suffice for your setup...It is a High end product...
As for Speed, you wont know the difference between a XMS3 and Dominator unless you are planning for atleast 4GHz overclock...
And once when all the 6 slots on the X58 mobo are populated, then the memory speed becomes 1333MHz...So there is no point having a higher speed RAM...

Well actually for his use I would say 12GB is justifiable...
That extra memory may not have any effect for regular apps and games...but when you do 3D rendering with MAX, using CS4 and opening a very high resolution photoshop file with multiple filters applied to it, then you will see the difference...

For your eyes...
Guess you should have researched more before just posting your comment...
http://www.betanews.com/article/Adobe-CS4-will-be-64bit-but-only-on-Windows/1207258861
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Creative_Suite
http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/photoshop/faq/

Quote from Wiki "Adobe CS4 is also developed to perform better under 64-bit and multi-core processors. Adobe Photoshop CS4 runs natively as a 64-bit application. Adobe After Effects CS4 and Adobe Premiere Pro CS4 has been optimized for 64-bit operating system although they are not natively 64-bit. However, Adobe CS4 64-bit will not be available for Mac OS X. In early testing of 64-bit support in Adobe Photoshop CS4, overall performance gains ranged from 8% to 12%. Those who work with extremely large files may realize noticeably greater gains in performance, in some cases as dramatic as ten times the previous speed. This is because 64-bit applications can address larger amounts of memory and thus result in less file swapping — one of the biggest factors that can affect data processing speed."

So it can take advantage of 12gigs RAM... ;)

theres no particular reason why I should research anything of the sort .
this is definitely a case where giving a man a fish feeds him for a day , but teaching him to fish feeds him for life .

You are a natural at being a pompous git btw, but its not a good look

and its even more a shame that all your research didnt allow you to offer worthwhile advice

Pompous git :lol: Knowing many things is not pompous look :pt1cable:
Every one doesn't have to know everything...that is why they come to such forums like this...And trying the Man fish thing wont work out all the time... :lol:
I give suggestions to the extent I can and I don't think there is nothing wrong in that... :non:
And as for my advices, I don't give any I just provide suggestions and I feel it did help many people here... ;)
So instead of trying to stop people from helping others, be of some help rather than being sarcastic :)

How can you possibly say that when they have only been out for a 2 months?? Your telling him it will last pretty long with absolutely no experience with them to back it up. :pfff:

I give suggestions to the extent I can and I don't think there is nothing wrong in that...

Case in point. Your suggesting to him that an air cooled 2.66ghz processor OC'd to 4ghz will last a long time, when in reality, you have no idea if it will or not. Right?
Hahaha I don't understand how did you interlink those 2 comments I said...
I had just said that even the i7 920 would clock to 4GHz on very good air cooling as he was comparing it to the i7 965 and it doesn't imply that am saying him to run the i7 920 at 4GHz all the time...And as for the longevity of the CPU, am sure even if you overclock the i7 CPU upto 3.4/3.6GHz, they would still last for the above said 3-4 years... Am sure other forum members would agree... :bounce:
And as you say they have been around for 2 months or so, imply that the socket is here to stay and the i7 is an enthusiast CPU, which implies intel would never play down on quality of those CPUs and always such CPUs are underrated and underclocked so the end user would have more headroom... :)
I know we dint have a good first meeting in this forum...but that doesn't mean you would still have to comment on my post like this without any viable reason... ;)

Can you read correctly ? Am I saying anywhere that the i7 on 4GHz would last 3-4years...I have just said the i7 at 3.4/3.6GHz would last 3-4 years...And the i7 overclock to 3.4/3.6 is not massive...
And the i7 are enthusiast chips like I have said before and they would easily handle that overclock...

Well I guess you had misread this comment :p
"You can get it easily to even 4 GHz on a very good air cooling...And yes it would last pretty long..."
I was explaining for 2 of his questions...
1. "So I will try to OC i7-920 D0 to get i7-965" For which I had said
" You can get it easily to even 4 GHz on a very good air cooling..."
2. "As I have stated on my previous post my next rig will definitely be after 5-6 Years. " For which I had said
And yes it would last pretty long..." for the i7 CPU
So even now if you dint understand then I cant help...