Hp pavillion dv9500 screen checkerboards

mattco

Distinguished
May 19, 2009
this is the second time I have seen a hp pavillion dv9500 laptop with something screwed up. First one was a case where all of a sudden the screen would just not show up anything. nothing. not even if you hooked itup to a second monitor. but it powered on, and you could hear it. ended up getting it diagnosed and got told that the motherboard needed to be replaced, it cost about $500. Now i have one, that when you boot it up to start windows normally, after about 3 minutes, all of a sudden the screen goes bad, it turns into a bunch of repeating squares ind just stays stuck like that until you power it off. I do not really know what to make of it. I dont know if i want to just go ahead and try to reformat it, or if there is some other hardware component that is likely causing this, or what it is that i should do. Any advice on what to check, what to look for? It seems to boot into safe mode fine... the screen looks completely fine, everything looks totall normal, and then all of the sudden it goes to scribbled lines of squares. please help

mattco

Distinguished
May 19, 2009
nvidia geforce 7150M /nforce 630m....is that what you need to know? It says that under device manage, display adapters,

yeah, and that is not comforting as it is the same chipset i have in my dv9700. Unfortunately reformatting it wont make a difference, try updating the graphics drivers but make sure you get them off the HP site and not the nvidia site, last time i updated a driver from the manufacturers website instead of HP my trackpad stopped working. Hopefully a driver update will fix it otherwise you may just want to let it die if the motherboard isnt under warranty and get a different model.