My first Computer... Please Help!

jpboyrox

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
This the first computer that I have dared to build. I have already received lots of helpful advice and have arrived at this as my plan:
Video Card -HIS ATI Radeon HD 4850 1024MB GDDR3 PCI-Express
Processor -Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
RAM -4GB Corsair Memory 4GBKIT (2X2GB) 800MHZ
Motherboard -Gigabyte S775 nForce 630I MATX DDR2 Audio Lan VGA
Hard Drive -Western Digital Caviar 1TB
DVD RW -LG Re-Writer
Power Supply - Corsair Memory 650W
Case -Black Galaxy III Case
Monitor -20” 1680 x 1050

Do you have any more advice?

PS. I am planning on using this system for video editing and gaming!

jpboyrox

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
I was told nVidia was better but someone else recommended the ATI video card instead. What are the advantages of either?

rosenberg1979

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
i'm gonna agree with G3 775 is over, either buck up for an i7, wait for the i5, or go AMD. If you're gonna do video editing you might want to look at the AMD quads AM3 is just starting its lifecycle, most video editors will put the 2 extra cores to work, and the price is right.

As for ATI vs Nvidia, thats a whole new thread, in short if you ever plan to do crossfire or SLI get a mobo to match your card, if thats a non-issue then don't worry. I'd say the 9800gt and 4850 are both good lower end true gaming cards, as opposed to the cheaper consumer cards. I don't know the prices in the UK but here if you are dilligent 4870's and 9800gtx'es can usally be got on special for just a few dollars more.

Lastly i really don't like using microATX boards, just a personal thing.

not to be all gloom and doom your build would work and you'd probally be more than happy with it. Just want to see you get the most bang for your bucks.

The price difference between Core 2 Duo and AMD Phenom II system is really thin. You should check this out.

I would suggest you to get a Phenom II X2 550 and a motherboard allowing you to unlock your cores. Most of the peoples have been able to unlock their 4 cores.

So you could be able to have a Quad cores cpu for a really cheap price.