The Search for Granny

Last response: in Video Games
April 15, 2005 12:27:33 AM

Or rather, the search 'of' being as I have just wallowed in ModTS2 untill I
was fit to explode.

Now never mind the soft-soap that was passed to me, and what I have not
never seen no-how being as I have played 'catch up' not wanting to download
over 32,000 assorted messages, and then 'cleaned up' all headings etc from
my files. Nice clean OE, in fact.

The thing is... Fidgety fingers has struck again. I moved Sims houses hither
and thither being fed up of current setings and managed to lose all my old
neighbourhoods in one fell swoop.
Has anybody else started a new neighbourhood, thinking it would be about
number six, and discovered the game had alloted it number one and filled it
up with Goths and Pleasants, and a couple of others, but not housed...
Sitting in the family bin on their little backsides looking mighty fed up.

And so was I. My prefab estate has gone west along with all the carefully
imported favourites from Strangetown, whatever. Poor Loki.

Now I think there is a way to restore the original neighbourhoods, but how?
Couldn;t find help in MTS2, bar one person saying 'just delete the
neighbourhood whatsit file and the game will make a new one for you.'
Ha! In a pigs ear.

How many more times am I going to start from scratch? And why didn;t I back
up The Ruptured Duck? I can build that pub with my eyes closed by now.

Save me all that stress. Tell me how to get the original neighbourhood one
back again along with Sweet Circe, General Grunt and his piglets, and the
ever-popular Not-only Nervous, but in my game a Complete Wreck, Subject?

Granny -renamed.

More about : search granny

Anonymous
April 15, 2005 12:27:34 AM

Granny Grumpling wrote:
> Granny -renamed.

Glad to see you back here. You are a fun and unique person; always a
pleasure to read your posts. Long live your Sims!

---
Michelle
(SeaShel)

free the fish to reply
April 15, 2005 12:27:34 AM

Granny Grumpling wrote:
> Or rather, the search 'of' being as I have just wallowed in ModTS2 untill I
> was fit to explode.
>
> Now never mind the soft-soap that was passed to me, and what I have not
> never seen no-how being as I have played 'catch up' not wanting to download
> over 32,000 assorted messages, and then 'cleaned up' all headings etc from
> my files. Nice clean OE, in fact.
>
> The thing is... Fidgety fingers has struck again. I moved Sims houses hither
> and thither being fed up of current setings and managed to lose all my old
> neighbourhoods in one fell swoop.
> Has anybody else started a new neighbourhood, thinking it would be about
> number six, and discovered the game had alloted it number one and filled it
> up with Goths and Pleasants, and a couple of others, but not housed...
> Sitting in the family bin on their little backsides looking mighty fed up.
>
> And so was I. My prefab estate has gone west along with all the carefully
> imported favourites from Strangetown, whatever. Poor Loki.
>
> Now I think there is a way to restore the original neighbourhoods, but how?
> Couldn;t find help in MTS2, bar one person saying 'just delete the
> neighbourhood whatsit file and the game will make a new one for you.'
> Ha! In a pigs ear.
>
> How many more times am I going to start from scratch? And why didn;t I back
> up The Ruptured Duck? I can build that pub with my eyes closed by now.
>
> Save me all that stress. Tell me how to get the original neighbourhood one
> back again along with Sweet Circe, General Grunt and his piglets, and the
> ever-popular Not-only Nervous, but in my game a Complete Wreck, Subject?
>
> Granny -renamed.

Hi Gran! :)

Glad to see you back among us again. You caused quite an uproar going
on holiday like that. Don't leave us again, ok?

Ali
April 15, 2005 1:27:50 AM

If you've got XP you can get it all back if you create a new User as
Administrator. Then you can start in there all over again. A new folder is
created in that "User"s My Documents. It needs space though.
I used to be able to copy neighbourhoods over but the new Microsoft security
updates seem to have stopped all that.
I got all mine back as I remembered that I had copied the whole My Documents
Sims2 folder to a separate drive after I installed University first.
Recommended tip for future use!!
You could try the new User method and copy the original neighbourhoods from
there to an cd or dvd and copy them back to the first user's game. That
might work.

Someone told me the lots were all in the "compressed zip" on the University
cd but I couldn't get that way to work for me. Maybe someone else knows
how.

formerly
Skeatsan''co

"Granny Grumpling" <marrowjam@[reallywild]blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> Or rather, the search 'of' being as I have just wallowed in ModTS2 untill
> was fit to explode.
>
> Now never mind the soft-soap that was passed to me, and what I have not
> never seen no-how being as I have played 'catch up' not wanting to
> download
> over 32,000 assorted messages, and then 'cleaned up' all headings etc from
> my files. Nice clean OE, in fact.
>
> The thing is... Fidgety fingers has struck again. I moved Sims houses
> hither
> and thither being fed up of current setings and managed to lose all my old
> neighbourhoods in one fell swoop.
> Has anybody else started a new neighbourhood, thinking it would be about
> number six, and discovered the game had alloted it number one and filled
> it
> up with Goths and Pleasants, and a couple of others, but not housed...
> Sitting in the family bin on their little backsides looking mighty fed up.
>
> And so was I. My prefab estate has gone west along with all the carefully
> imported favourites from Strangetown, whatever. Poor Loki.
>
> Now I think there is a way to restore the original neighbourhoods, but
> how?
> Couldn;t find help in MTS2, bar one person saying 'just delete the
> neighbourhood whatsit file and the game will make a new one for you.'
> Ha! In a pigs ear.
>
> How many more times am I going to start from scratch? And why didn;t I
> back
> up The Ruptured Duck? I can build that pub with my eyes closed by now.
>
> Save me all that stress. Tell me how to get the original neighbourhood one
> back again along with Sweet Circe, General Grunt and his piglets, and the
> ever-popular Not-only Nervous, but in my game a Complete Wreck, Subject?
>
> Granny -renamed.

Anonymous
April 15, 2005 1:59:21 AM

"Fizziwig2" <atthebackofthenorthwind@kingdomcom.co.uk> wrote in message
> If you've got XP you can get it all back if you create a new User as
> Administrator.

Argh!! You are asking me to fiddle with the building blocks of the universe?
You know what will happen, just ask Maxon how far I got with creating a new
identity.
Is XP supposed to stand for Expert? I know what I call it.

> Someone told me the lots were all in the "compressed zip" on the
> University cd but I couldn't get that way to work for me. Maybe someone
> else knows how.

This is what I was hoping. But thinking on it, didn;t installing the EP
overwrite whatever you had? I seem to recall a howl of anguish from me when
everything disappeared for the third time.

I will mooch through the Ex pack CDs and unzip a few things. If they are
there, then I will find them - perhaps - possibly, Errr. Hmmmm.

Time for bed, said Zebidee. 8(

Granny.
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 3:14:41 AM

Welcome back Granny! :')

There are 3 ways to get completely new original state neighbourhoods

1. Fish around on the CD to find the appropriate files and restore them (I
only tried this once it was too hard and I mucked it up)
2. Create a new user account and run the Sims once then just dump the entire
Sims folder from the new My Documents to the old one (also annoying IMHO)
3. Open up your My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2 folder and (if you have
neighbourhoods you wish to keep for later use) cut and paste the entire
Neighbourhoods folder to somewhere else on your HD (if you don't want to
save any of them just delete the thing). Then run the game and it will make
fresh clean original neighbourhoods for you. Next time you turn off the Sims
you can then open up your saved/backup neighbourhoods folder (if you kept
one) and move any neighbourhoods (N00? files) you wanted to keep back into
My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Neighbourhoods.

Did I make sense? Let me know if it wasn't clear enough and I'll try writing
it again differently.

--
Morituri Nolumus Mori

MM

"Granny Grumpling" <marrowjam@[reallywild]blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> Or rather, the search 'of' being as I have just wallowed in ModTS2 untill
> was fit to explode.
>
> Now never mind the soft-soap that was passed to me, and what I have not
> never seen no-how being as I have played 'catch up' not wanting to
download
> over 32,000 assorted messages, and then 'cleaned up' all headings etc from
> my files. Nice clean OE, in fact.
>
> The thing is... Fidgety fingers has struck again. I moved Sims houses
hither
> and thither being fed up of current setings and managed to lose all my old
> neighbourhoods in one fell swoop.
> Has anybody else started a new neighbourhood, thinking it would be about
> number six, and discovered the game had alloted it number one and filled
it
> up with Goths and Pleasants, and a couple of others, but not housed...
> Sitting in the family bin on their little backsides looking mighty fed up.
>
> And so was I. My prefab estate has gone west along with all the carefully
> imported favourites from Strangetown, whatever. Poor Loki.
>
> Now I think there is a way to restore the original neighbourhoods, but
how?
> Couldn;t find help in MTS2, bar one person saying 'just delete the
> neighbourhood whatsit file and the game will make a new one for you.'
> Ha! In a pigs ear.
>
> How many more times am I going to start from scratch? And why didn;t I
back
> up The Ruptured Duck? I can build that pub with my eyes closed by now.
>
> Save me all that stress. Tell me how to get the original neighbourhood one
> back again along with Sweet Circe, General Grunt and his piglets, and the
> ever-popular Not-only Nervous, but in my game a Complete Wreck, Subject?
>
> Granny -renamed.

Anonymous
April 15, 2005 3:26:55 AM

"Fizziwig2" <atthebackofthenorthwind@kingdomcom.co.uk> wrote in message
> If you've got XP you can get it all back if you create a new User as
> Administrator.

Ha!! I have found an old neighbourhood 2 saved on my H-drive. Trouble was I
had loaded this into the game before checking it through Simpe, and saw
there was only two houses in there. Spectre and the Smiths. I thought it was
a left over after the others had moved out.
Looking at it, by accident, in Simpe, I saw the whole mob were in the Sim
browser.

They were, too. Poor things had been thrown out of their houses and set in
little empty plots prior to moving to a lusher neighbourhood. I just never
thought of looking in the bins.

This is very gratifying. It must have been saved after I wrote about the
earthquake hitting the area. I can move them into my new Little Dumpling
neighbourhood without trouble. But it means a lot of house building again.
8(((
At least the Curious brothers are well housed, the eldest living alone with
his pea-green son, and Nervous safe in his own little bolt-hole. He won;t
last long once Loki goes on the prowl .

I think Mr Mephistopheles Jones, who I have decided is a psychopomp, (it
really is the only way to give him all the powers he has) will have some
harsh things to say about Our Loki. The Psycho House might just reappear on
a hill somewhere. But now I have two crazed scientists wandering about
looking for trouble, and one witch. The local park having its own little
glade stuffed with spell tables and magic mirrors so anyone who feels the
urge, and is that way inclined, can cast a quick spell then watch their
enemy wet their knickers in public.

Am I not good to my sweet little Sims?

Granny - not back in Simmish harness completely, but....
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 3:37:42 AM

> Welcome back Granny! :')
>
> There are 3 ways to get completely new original state neighbourhoods
>
> 1. Fish around on the CD to find the appropriate files and restore them (I
> only tried this once it was too hard and I mucked it up)

It does look very complex. Not enough just to whip over a basic file, when
the characters are in one place, the lots in another. They haven;t made it
very easy. On purpose, I suspect.

> 2. Create a new user account and run the Sims once then just dump the
> entire
> Sims folder from the new My Documents to the old one (also annoying IMHO)

Whine....

> 3. Open up your My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2 folder and (if you have
> neighbourhoods you wish to keep for later use) cut and paste the entire
> Neighbourhoods folder to somewhere else on your HD (if you don't want to
> save any of them just delete the thing). Then run the game and it will
> make
> fresh clean original neighbourhoods for you.

Ahhhh! Not that i need it now, but you have to move the whole lot? I get
you.
I wondered that if I did that then something would crash. I never risked it.
Damned if I know why I didn;t risk it. Losing the whole lot in some crash or
other is second nature to me now.

I am SURE I have a CD somewhere with my old, lovely neighbourhoods therein,
but can i find it? No. My CDs are all neat and tidy in a big fat zip-up
folder, which weighs a ton, but the only Sim backup I can find is prior to
installing the Expansion pack, and that was the time I forgot to include the
neighbourhoods.
Please do not say a thing.

Granny.
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 3:37:43 AM

> Hi Gran! :)
>
> Glad to see you back among us again. You caused quite an uproar going on
> holiday like that. Don't leave us again, ok?
>
> Ali

Poooh! I got miffed. And I think a small break from Simming was needed
before I went crazy. I mean, I am almost melded to this chair. 8(
became horribly involved in making planets instead of neighbourhoods, with
about the same degree of success.

Ruddy chaos, in other words. Polka-dot cliffs and green sand on the beaches.
One small tweak for mankind and mountains a mile high all over little
rounded lumps.

I really don;t know why i bother. 8(

granny.
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 5:25:34 AM

Now I have heard that if you just delete the neighborhoods folder
completely, the game will remake the original neighborhoods.
What I would do is just move the neighborhoods folder to somewhere else on
your computer, run the game and see if it recreates them.

"Granny Grumpling" <marrowjam@[reallywild]blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> Or rather, the search 'of' being as I have just wallowed in ModTS2 untill
> was fit to explode.
>
> Now never mind the soft-soap that was passed to me, and what I have not
> never seen no-how being as I have played 'catch up' not wanting to
download
> over 32,000 assorted messages, and then 'cleaned up' all headings etc from
> my files. Nice clean OE, in fact.
>
> The thing is... Fidgety fingers has struck again. I moved Sims houses
hither
> and thither being fed up of current setings and managed to lose all my old
> neighbourhoods in one fell swoop.
> Has anybody else started a new neighbourhood, thinking it would be about
> number six, and discovered the game had alloted it number one and filled
it
> up with Goths and Pleasants, and a couple of others, but not housed...
> Sitting in the family bin on their little backsides looking mighty fed up.
>
> And so was I. My prefab estate has gone west along with all the carefully
> imported favourites from Strangetown, whatever. Poor Loki.
>
> Now I think there is a way to restore the original neighbourhoods, but
how?
> Couldn;t find help in MTS2, bar one person saying 'just delete the
> neighbourhood whatsit file and the game will make a new one for you.'
> Ha! In a pigs ear.
>
> How many more times am I going to start from scratch? And why didn;t I
back
> up The Ruptured Duck? I can build that pub with my eyes closed by now.
>
> Save me all that stress. Tell me how to get the original neighbourhood one
> back again along with Sweet Circe, General Grunt and his piglets, and the
> ever-popular Not-only Nervous, but in my game a Complete Wreck, Subject?
>
> Granny -renamed.

Anonymous
April 15, 2005 6:17:33 AM

> Now I think there is a way to restore the original neighbourhoods,
> but how? Couldn;t find help in MTS2, bar one person saying 'just
> delete the neighbourhood whatsit file and the game will make a new
> one for you.'
> Ha! In a pigs ear.
>
> How many more times am I going to start from scratch? And why didn;t
> I back up The Ruptured Duck? I can build that pub with my eyes closed
> by now.
>
> Save me all that stress. Tell me how to get the original
> neighbourhood one back again along with Sweet Circe, General Grunt
> and his piglets, and the ever-popular Not-only Nervous, but in my
> game a Complete Wreck, Subject?
>
> Granny -renamed.

Well, that's the way I do it when I want my original neighborhoods back. I
move the enitre neighborhood folder to my desktop, then restart the game and
it makes a new one with the original neighborhoods in it!

Welcome back, Granny. I missed you.

Jeanie
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 6:18:55 AM

Granny Grumpling wrote:
> "Fizziwig2" <atthebackofthenorthwind@kingdomcom.co.uk> wrote in
> message news:qfB7e.12233$G8.3327@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
>> If you've got XP you can get it all back if you create a new User as
>> Administrator.
>
> Ha!! I have found an old neighbourhood 2 saved on my H-drive.
> Trouble was I had loaded this into the game before checking it
> through Simpe, and saw there was only two houses in there. Spectre
> and the Smiths. I thought it was a left over after the others had
> moved out.
> Looking at it, by accident, in Simpe, I saw the whole mob were in the
> Sim browser.
>
> They were, too. Poor things had been thrown out of their houses and
> set in little empty plots prior to moving to a lusher neighbourhood.
> I just never thought of looking in the bins.
>
> This is very gratifying. It must have been saved after I wrote about
> the earthquake hitting the area. I can move them into my new Little
> Dumpling neighbourhood without trouble. But it means a lot of house
> building again. 8(((
> At least the Curious brothers are well housed, the eldest living
> alone with his pea-green son, and Nervous safe in his own little
> bolt-hole. He won;t last long once Loki goes on the prowl .
>
> I think Mr Mephistopheles Jones, who I have decided is a psychopomp,
> (it really is the only way to give him all the powers he has) will
> have some harsh things to say about Our Loki. The Psycho House might
> just reappear on a hill somewhere. But now I have two crazed
> scientists wandering about looking for trouble, and one witch. The
> local park having its own little glade stuffed with spell tables and
> magic mirrors so anyone who feels the urge, and is that way inclined,
> can cast a quick spell then watch their enemy wet their knickers in
> public.
>
> Am I not good to my sweet little Sims?
>
> Granny - not back in Simmish harness completely, but....

Go to SimsEstates2 and they have all of the original houses from all three
neighborhoods, plus the ones that were originally in the lot bin of the
game.

http://www.strategyplanet.com/thesims/simestates2/
Click on Real Estate, then Original.

HTH

Jeanie
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 11:37:37 AM

I have maybe three cd's and two folders with stuff (non Sims) that is more
than two years old (and never looked at) and I always remember to back it
up. It is only important stuff (Sims) that I forget to back up when I wipe a
HD *bangs head chanting - "thinking is your friend, thinking is your
friend"*

--
Morituri Nolumus Mori

MM

> "Madame Mim" <mad.mim@S.P.A.M.bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
> > Welcome back Granny! :')
> >
> > There are 3 ways to get completely new original state neighbourhoods
> >
> > 1. Fish around on the CD to find the appropriate files and restore them
(I
> > only tried this once it was too hard and I mucked it up)
>
> It does look very complex. Not enough just to whip over a basic file, when
> the characters are in one place, the lots in another. They haven;t made it
> very easy. On purpose, I suspect.
>

> > 2. Create a new user account and run the Sims once then just dump the
> > entire
> > Sims folder from the new My Documents to the old one (also annoying
IMHO)

> Whine....
>
> > 3. Open up your My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2 folder and (if you have
> > neighbourhoods you wish to keep for later use) cut and paste the entire
> > Neighbourhoods folder to somewhere else on your HD (if you don't want to
> > save any of them just delete the thing). Then run the game and it will
> > make
> > fresh clean original neighbourhoods for you.
>
> Ahhhh! Not that i need it now, but you have to move the whole lot? I get
> you.
> I wondered that if I did that then something would crash. I never risked
it.
> Damned if I know why I didn;t risk it. Losing the whole lot in some crash
or
> other is second nature to me now.
>
> I am SURE I have a CD somewhere with my old, lovely neighbourhoods
therein,
> but can i find it? No. My CDs are all neat and tidy in a big fat zip-up
> folder, which weighs a ton, but the only Sim backup I can find is prior to
> installing the Expansion pack, and that was the time I forgot to include
the
> neighbourhoods.
> Please do not say a thing.
>
> Granny.

Anonymous
April 15, 2005 11:39:55 AM

Obviously I don't know how to help you...just want to WELCOME you back!!
Smeraldina

"Granny Grumpling" <marrowjam@[reallywild]blueyonder.co.uk> ha scritto nel
messaggio news:VmA7e.12165$G8.9403@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
> Or rather, the search 'of' being as I have just wallowed in ModTS2 untill
> was fit to explode.
>
> Now never mind the soft-soap that was passed to me, and what I have not
> never seen no-how being as I have played 'catch up' not wanting to
download
> over 32,000 assorted messages, and then 'cleaned up' all headings etc from
> my files. Nice clean OE, in fact.
>
> The thing is... Fidgety fingers has struck again. I moved Sims houses
hither
> and thither being fed up of current setings and managed to lose all my old
> neighbourhoods in one fell swoop.
> Has anybody else started a new neighbourhood, thinking it would be about
> number six, and discovered the game had alloted it number one and filled
it
> up with Goths and Pleasants, and a couple of others, but not housed...
> Sitting in the family bin on their little backsides looking mighty fed up.
>
> And so was I. My prefab estate has gone west along with all the carefully
> imported favourites from Strangetown, whatever. Poor Loki.
>
> Now I think there is a way to restore the original neighbourhoods, but
how?
> Couldn;t find help in MTS2, bar one person saying 'just delete the
> neighbourhood whatsit file and the game will make a new one for you.'
> Ha! In a pigs ear.
>
> How many more times am I going to start from scratch? And why didn;t I
back
> up The Ruptured Duck? I can build that pub with my eyes closed by now.
>
> Save me all that stress. Tell me how to get the original neighbourhood one
> back again along with Sweet Circe, General Grunt and his piglets, and the
> ever-popular Not-only Nervous, but in my game a Complete Wreck, Subject?
>
> Granny -renamed.

Anonymous
April 15, 2005 12:41:41 PM

>I have maybe three cd's and two folders with stuff (non Sims) that is more
> than two years old (and never looked at)

Ha! And this is the problem, that: '(and never look at)'. You see when I
glance at a CD and think 'I haven;t looked at that for.... x months... Then
I scratch it off with scissors and sling it out.
Ditto everything else in my life. If it ain;t used, dump it. If it has only
been used once and you don;t want to use it again, dump it. if it was bought
on impulse and you regretted it as soon as you got home.... DUMP it.
Book hoarders have fits when they see this.

So, along the line I have lost quite a few backups I thought I would never
want again.
And knitting patterns. And books. And once, a husband.

and I always remember to back it
> up. It is only important stuff (Sims) that I forget to back up when I wipe
> HD *bangs head chanting - "thinking is your friend, thinking is your
> friend"*

Have you not a wall close to your computer eye-line? I have. It is covered
with awful warnings that no longer register in my brain.
One says 'If in doubt, chuck it out.' Also 'Try REBOOT.' and, to my secret
shame a list of numbers that start on one side 12 (noon) 1, 2, to 12
(midnight) and on the other side '12, 13. 14. 15... to 23.'
That list is often used.....

Thinking is your friend.... 8(((

GG
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 12:41:42 PM

news:D cGdnW59zYnPzcLfRVn-pw@comcast.com...
> Now I have heard that if you just delete the neighborhoods folder
> completely, the game will remake the original neighborhoods.
> What I would do is just move the neighborhoods folder to somewhere else on
> your computer, run the game and see if it recreates them.

It is just as well that I didn;t know this before I looked in the
Strangetown house bin.

I am still puzzled about all the extra sims that appeared in a new
neighbourhood that appeared as one, and was full of unhoused Pleasantville
regulars though.

I have never seen Sims sitting on the floor in groups before. Has anyone
else?
I 'suppose' it was a sort of mix and match attempt by the program to replace
a genuine neighbourhood in a ungenuine SC4 map?
It was a pest, and got dumped, because they bought all their memories with
them again.

Granny G.
April 15, 2005 1:56:46 PM

Missed you....missed the giggles.... but there's not a chance in hell I
could help save your neighbourhoods.... anything beyond installing downloads
in this game is beyond me ;o))

~ jo

http://thesims2.ea.com/mysimpage/mysimpage.php?user_id=...
"Granny Grumpling" <marrowjam@[reallywild]blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> Or rather, the search 'of' being as I have just wallowed in ModTS2 untill
> was fit to explode.
>
> Now never mind the soft-soap that was passed to me, and what I have not
> never seen no-how being as I have played 'catch up' not wanting to
> download
> over 32,000 assorted messages, and then 'cleaned up' all headings etc from
> my files. Nice clean OE, in fact.
>
> The thing is... Fidgety fingers has struck again. I moved Sims houses
> hither
> and thither being fed up of current setings and managed to lose all my old
> neighbourhoods in one fell swoop.
> Has anybody else started a new neighbourhood, thinking it would be about
> number six, and discovered the game had alloted it number one and filled
> it
> up with Goths and Pleasants, and a couple of others, but not housed...
> Sitting in the family bin on their little backsides looking mighty fed up.
>
> And so was I. My prefab estate has gone west along with all the carefully
> imported favourites from Strangetown, whatever. Poor Loki.
>
> Now I think there is a way to restore the original neighbourhoods, but
> how?
> Couldn;t find help in MTS2, bar one person saying 'just delete the
> neighbourhood whatsit file and the game will make a new one for you.'
> Ha! In a pigs ear.
>
> How many more times am I going to start from scratch? And why didn;t I
> back
> up The Ruptured Duck? I can build that pub with my eyes closed by now.
>
> Save me all that stress. Tell me how to get the original neighbourhood one
> back again along with Sweet Circe, General Grunt and his piglets, and the
> ever-popular Not-only Nervous, but in my game a Complete Wreck, Subject?
>
> Granny -renamed.

Anonymous
April 15, 2005 3:48:15 PM

> "Madame Mim" <mad.mim@S.P.A.M.bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
> >I have maybe three cd's and two folders with stuff (non Sims) that is
more
> > than two years old (and never looked at)
> >
> Ha! And this is the problem, that: '(and never look at)'. You see when I
> glance at a CD and think 'I haven;t looked at that for.... x months...
Then
> I scratch it off with scissors and sling it out.
> Ditto everything else in my life. If it ain;t used, dump it. If it has
only
> been used once and you don;t want to use it again, dump it. if it was
bought
> on impulse and you regretted it as soon as you got home.... DUMP it.
> Book hoarders have fits when they see this.
>
> So, along the line I have lost quite a few backups I thought I would never
> want again.
> And knitting patterns. And books. And once, a husband.

Well, that's understandable.

Granny, I thought you just removed the neighbourhood files from My Documents
(put
them somewhere else, just in case) and the game created a whole nice new set
for you. But I've never done it, so what do I know?

Best wishes
Maxon
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 10:17:16 PM

Granny Grumpling wrote:

> I mean, I am almost melded to this chair. 8(
> became horribly involved in making planets instead of
> neighbourhoods,
> with about the same degree of success.

Planets? Where would that be?

T.
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 11:23:03 PM

"Taemon" <Taemon@zonnet.nl> wrote in message
> Granny Grumpling wrote:
>
>> I mean, I am almost melded to this chair. 8(
>> became horribly involved in making planets instead of neighbourhoods,
>> with about the same degree of success.
>
> Planets? Where would that be?
>
> T.

Pandromeda. MojoWorld. http://www.pandromeda.com/products/

I see, with a sense of dismay that they have bought out a bigger version.
<quiet sobs>

http://www.cherryjam.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/wumpus/graphi...

Will tell you why I tend to break down into tears when I think about this
program. I love it. It drives me insane.

BTW, my pics haven't been added to for over a year. 8(
Whole site is a bit rough and ready and half done. Don;t care.

GG.
Anonymous
April 16, 2005 4:12:05 AM

Granny Grumpling waved a magic wand at the 'puter, changed into a moose
(OOPS!) - tried again and came up with:
> And once, a husband.

LOL! Got him home, regretted, and then scratched him off with scissors?...
or was it used him once and didn't want to use him again?

--
--- Mike --- http://www.livin-it-up.net
Member of eKoOK (evil Kult of Object Kreators)

Granny Grumpling wrote:

> "Taemon" <Taemon@zonnet.nl> wrote in message
>> Granny Grumpling wrote:
>>> I mean, I am almost melded to this chair. 8(
>>> became horribly involved in making planets instead of
>>> neighbourhoods, with about the same degree of success.
>> Planets? Where would that be?
> Pandromeda. MojoWorld. http://www.pandromeda.com/products/

That is... beautiful. But tell me, can you actually do something
with the planet? Or is just developing?

T.
Anonymous
April 16, 2005 4:43:47 PM

> Granny Grumpling wrote:
>
>> "Taemon" <Taemon@zonnet.nl> wrote in message
>>> Planets? Where would that be?
>> Pandromeda. MojoWorld. http://www.pandromeda.com/products/
>
> That is... beautiful. But tell me, can you actually do something with the
> planet? Or is just developing?
>
> T.
This is the snag... I dare say there are a lot of people out there who can
use what they develop. There are options for movies, but I am not very
interested in doing that. No outlet. and you need a whopping computer, or
two or three gathered together.. Ugh.

The program includes an 'advanced' interface (I don;t use that, either.
Simple is bad enough for me) that lets you design your fractals by way of
function graphs. It looks... horrible, but according to the very fat manual
this is what film makers use when designing effects, and things... What
things, I dread to think.

I have grown foregrounds, and backgrounds that I have mixed and matched with
other progs, like Bryce, and made a few greeting cards but only for my own
use. 8(
Mostly I use the program in the same way that more physical ... I was going
to put 'idiots', but on sober reflection, perhaps not... I use the program
in the same way that other people might use a rock face.
'What for do you want to climb up that for then?'
a) because it's there.
b) to see if I can reach the top.

I attack Pandromeda because I bought it, and I wanna see if I can crawl
halfway up, at best.
I am also jolly impressed at how beautiful it is. Even making a simple lumpy
planet in plain white, can be amazing to move around, shifting the sun here,
there and all over and just thinking 'I wish I could go there...'
Even on my machine, moving in real-time redraws very quickly. Slower when
you add more maths, naturally. Bloody slow when you import a few expert
users lumps and colours.
Almost a full stop when you render a huge, complicated picture.
'It may take hours...' warns the manual.
Gerrof? Fancy... Moral, stick to normal or low rendering.

Ah well. I am glad I bought it. It frustrates the heck out of me. 8)))

Granny.
Anonymous
April 16, 2005 7:12:11 PM

Wow, you could make some awesome pics for sims2 with it :)

> "Taemon" <Taemon@zonnet.nl> wrote in message
> > Granny Grumpling wrote:
> >
> >> "Taemon" <Taemon@zonnet.nl> wrote in message
> >> Pandromeda. MojoWorld. http://www.pandromeda.com/products/
> >
> > That is... beautiful. But tell me, can you actually do something with
the
> > planet? Or is just developing?
> >
> > T.
> This is the snag... I dare say there are a lot of people out there who can
> use what they develop. There are options for movies, but I am not very
> interested in doing that. No outlet. and you need a whopping computer, or
> two or three gathered together.. Ugh.
>
> The program includes an 'advanced' interface (I don;t use that, either.
> Simple is bad enough for me) that lets you design your fractals by way of
> function graphs. It looks... horrible, but according to the very fat
manual
> this is what film makers use when designing effects, and things... What
> things, I dread to think.
>
> I have grown foregrounds, and backgrounds that I have mixed and matched
with
> other progs, like Bryce, and made a few greeting cards but only for my own
> use. 8(
> Mostly I use the program in the same way that more physical ... I was
going
> to put 'idiots', but on sober reflection, perhaps not... I use the
program
> in the same way that other people might use a rock face.
> 'What for do you want to climb up that for then?'
> a) because it's there.
> b) to see if I can reach the top.
>
> I attack Pandromeda because I bought it, and I wanna see if I can crawl
> halfway up, at best.
> I am also jolly impressed at how beautiful it is. Even making a simple
lumpy
> planet in plain white, can be amazing to move around, shifting the sun
here,
> there and all over and just thinking 'I wish I could go there...'
> Even on my machine, moving in real-time redraws very quickly. Slower when
> you add more maths, naturally. Bloody slow when you import a few expert
> users lumps and colours.
> Almost a full stop when you render a huge, complicated picture.
> 'It may take hours...' warns the manual.
> Gerrof? Fancy... Moral, stick to normal or low rendering.
>
> Ah well. I am glad I bought it. It frustrates the heck out of me. 8)))
>
> Granny.

Anonymous
April 17, 2005 12:56:00 AM

Granny Grumpling wrote:

> Ah well. I am glad I bought it. It frustrates the heck out of
> me. 8)))

I fully understand. I won't buy it :-)

T.
Anonymous
April 17, 2005 3:33:15 AM

> Granny Grumpling wrote:
>
>> Ah well. I am glad I bought it. It frustrates the heck out of me. 8)))
>
> I fully understand. I won't buy it :-)

Coward!!!!

GG.
Anonymous
April 17, 2005 9:40:59 PM

Granny Grumpling wrote:

> "Taemon" <Taemon@zonnet.nl> wrote in message
>> Granny Grumpling wrote:
>>> Ah well. I am glad I bought it. It frustrates the heck out of
>>> me.
>>> 8)))
>> I fully understand. I won't buy it :-)
> Coward!!!!

Nono, I'm not a coward. Au contraire, I am being very wise. See,
I haven't built a city in weeks. Too busy with my sims. Now, if I
can't build a city, how should I build a planet? Hmmm...
planets...

T.
Anonymous
April 17, 2005 10:13:05 PM

Taemon wrote:

> Granny Grumpling wrote:
>

>>"Taemon" <Taemon@zonnet.nl> wrote in message

>>>I fully understand. I won't buy it :-)
>>
>>Coward!!!!
>

> Nono, I'm not a coward. Au contraire, I am being very wise. See,
> I haven't built a city in weeks. Too busy with my sims. Now, if I
> can't build a city, how should I build a planet? Hmmm...
> planets...

And then you can write stories based on the planets....

Granny, make me a half-desert world with 4 moons and 2 suns, and tell me
how screwed up the tides become... :)

Na, is mean to ask you to try it. I ought to consider getting it myself.

-georg
Anonymous
April 18, 2005 3:28:10 AM

> Taemon wrote:
>
>> Granny Grumpling wrote:
>

> And then you can write stories based on the planets....
>
> Granny, make me a half-desert world with 4 moons and 2 suns, and tell me
> how screwed up the tides become... :)

TIDES!!! Ye Gods... The computers we have at home can't cope with
volumetric clouds round a sphere yet, and you want TIDES? Who do you think
you are? King Canute?

> Na, is mean to ask you to try it. I ought to consider getting it myself.

Seas are always a weak point in any of these programs. Like in Bryce you
get a very flat edge where it hits the land although there are horrible ways
of making surf where the depth reaches a set level. But it looks strange.

I have downloaded some of the more impressive worlds from the web site. Some
of them have layer, upon layer, upon layer of fractals on top of fractals
and.. well, when the program has to think about what it is going to do for
about ten minutes before it even starts to show a coloured pixel....

I think it is probably the most time-wasting program I have ever had of that
nature, because it is so easy to tweak, and so lovely to watch. I never
actually get round to doing anything, I am too busy experimenting, altering
mountains, flying over the landscape and zooming into little pebbles.

You buy it. Then you to can go grey and start to gibber.
I bet they wouldn;t hire me to write an advertising blurb.

GG
Anonymous
April 18, 2005 3:28:11 AM

Just wondered how much you have dealt with Bryce?
Just curious as it is my 3D program of choice. Just wish I could use it in
conjunction with sims2.............well I can in certain ways.

> "georg" <thegeorg@stny.rr.com> wrote in message
> > Taemon wrote:
> >
> >> Granny Grumpling wrote:
> >

> > And then you can write stories based on the planets....
> >
> > Granny, make me a half-desert world with 4 moons and 2 suns, and tell me
> > how screwed up the tides become... :)
>
> TIDES!!! Ye Gods... The computers we have at home can't cope with
> volumetric clouds round a sphere yet, and you want TIDES? Who do you think
> you are? King Canute?
> >
> > Na, is mean to ask you to try it. I ought to consider getting it myself.
> >
> Seas are always a weak point in any of these programs. Like in Bryce you
> get a very flat edge where it hits the land although there are horrible
ways
> of making surf where the depth reaches a set level. But it looks strange.
>
> I have downloaded some of the more impressive worlds from the web site.
Some
> of them have layer, upon layer, upon layer of fractals on top of fractals
> and.. well, when the program has to think about what it is going to do for
> about ten minutes before it even starts to show a coloured pixel....
>
> I think it is probably the most time-wasting program I have ever had of
that
> nature, because it is so easy to tweak, and so lovely to watch. I never
> actually get round to doing anything, I am too busy experimenting,
altering
> mountains, flying over the landscape and zooming into little pebbles.
>
> You buy it. Then you to can go grey and start to gibber.
> I bet they wouldn;t hire me to write an advertising blurb.
>
> GG

Anonymous
April 18, 2005 12:20:35 PM

> Just wondered how much you have dealt with Bryce?
> Just curious as it is my 3D program of choice. Just wish I could use it
> in
> conjunction with sims2.............well I can in certain ways.

How you mean, 'have dealt with'?
Okay.. Easier to say what I don't do. I don't create 3D meshes, at all.
Never have. So I stick with whatever meshes are provided. The whole area is
a bit of a closed book to me. Now and then I have a look at the odd 3D
designer that appears on free CDs. Computer Graphics mag gave us and
outdated Amapi, and I also had a early Maya (is it Maya?) but to be honest I
was a bit lost, made a mess of everything, didn;t understand what they were
on about with nurbs, and things and seem to lack the ability to think round
corners.
So I have never bothered.

I do use greyscale mapping as this goes into super-high resolution. No use
at all for Sims though.

I don;t think Bryce sees itself as a mesh creating program. It's more
building blocks.
I say, the worst I ever did was a traction engine. Gawd... Old computer, old
graphics card. Oh my. The main screen looked like an explosion of spider
webs. One learns the hard way organise and group shapes as you go along. Or
else.

I decided that as I am a 3D mesh novice, I would stay well away from Sims
design.
It is at this point I usually think 'perhaps if I got 'xxx' program, I could
understand, then use....' But so far I have drawn back with a gasp of horror
when I see the prices.

If anyone knows a good, cheap (about £100) 3D design program... But you get
what you pay for.

GG - oh..
The very worst thing I have used Bryce for is to create a movie. Someone
asked for 'a movie like the warp in a time-tunnel, lasting for about five
minutes.'
There speaks a person who doesn;t have the faintest idea of what it entails.
Actually making the movie in Bryce was easy, though I didn't do a tunnel
effect. But Five minutes???? Final render suitable for video reproduction
and enlargemnt, therein was about 2 1/2 mins long and took up the WHOLE of a
800 CD.

Then I found out they wanted to chop it up into bits.
No comment.
No bloody movie, either.
April 19, 2005 2:16:14 PM

Granny Grumpling wrote:
>>Hi Gran! :)
>>
>>Glad to see you back among us again. You caused quite an uproar going on
>>holiday like that. Don't leave us again, ok?
>>
>>Ali
>

> Poooh! I got miffed. And I think a small break from Simming was needed
> before I went crazy. I mean, I am almost melded to this chair. 8(
> became horribly involved in making planets instead of neighbourhoods, with
> about the same degree of success.
>
> Ruddy chaos, in other words. Polka-dot cliffs and green sand on the beaches.
> One small tweak for mankind and mountains a mile high all over little
> rounded lumps.
>
> I really don;t know why i bother. 8(
>
> granny.

I know what you mean about being glued to the chair. Hubby was getting
miffed-he said, "Stop messing around in your fantasy world and start
doing something in real life!" He doesn't get the fascination with the
game at all. When I first got it he tried playing it and enjoyed it
until his gentleman got abducted and came back preggers. That set him
off and he won't touch it now, lol. He'd rather play war games such as
Battlefield Vietnam. That relieves his stress, blowing stuff up.

Ali
Anonymous
April 20, 2005 6:27:07 PM

No, men don't get the horror of childbirth at all.

At least with war games, you can kill the enemy. You're supposed to nurture
children and raise them to adulthood.

Perhaps you should ask your husband whether you should stop having lots of
virtual babies and have several in real life instead (only ask that though
if he's likely to make a run for it and hide at the back of the sofa).

Who me - bitter and twisted? - no!
Maxon

"ali" <babaonthenet@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> I know what you mean about being glued to the chair. Hubby was getting
> miffed-he said, "Stop messing around in your fantasy world and start
> doing something in real life!" He doesn't get the fascination with the
> game at all. When I first got it he tried playing it and enjoyed it
> until his gentleman got abducted and came back preggers. That set him
> off and he won't touch it now, lol. He'd rather play war games such as
> Battlefield Vietnam. That relieves his stress, blowing stuff up.
>
> Ali
Anonymous
April 20, 2005 8:14:30 PM

I'll admit that I'm new to Sims2 ... but I haven't figured out how to get a
sim abducted by aliens... my sim has been staring into that damn telescope
for days it seems and nada.. zilch... nothin' more than a backache 'n full
bladder.. <g>

'course you're also talking to someone who can't figure out how to throw a
party with more than 2 people as an option ... sometimes I really miss the
old game ... wasn't as steep a learning curve to just get a house built...
<g>

feawen

> No, men don't get the horror of childbirth at all.
>
> At least with war games, you can kill the enemy. You're supposed to
nurture
> children and raise them to adulthood.
>
> Perhaps you should ask your husband whether you should stop having lots of
> virtual babies and have several in real life instead (only ask that though
> if he's likely to make a run for it and hide at the back of the sofa).
>
> Who me - bitter and twisted? - no!
> Maxon
>
> "ali" <babaonthenet@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > I know what you mean about being glued to the chair. Hubby was getting
> > miffed-he said, "Stop messing around in your fantasy world and start
> > doing something in real life!" He doesn't get the fascination with the
> > game at all. When I first got it he tried playing it and enjoyed it
> > until his gentleman got abducted and came back preggers. That set him
> > off and he won't touch it now, lol. He'd rather play war games such as
> > Battlefield Vietnam. That relieves his stress, blowing stuff up.
> >
> > Ali

Anonymous
April 21, 2005 1:17:08 AM

Don't you have to use the expensive telescope? Not sure. I do know it
happens more often in Strangetown than the other (ordinary) neighbourhoods
but I have had abductions outside Strangetown (before someone tells you
that's not possible). I even had one sim abducted from my own
neighbourhood. But if you're new to Sims 2, go to Strangetown and open up
the Curious household. There's an alien baby on the way there and also if
you send Vidcund (the UGLY brother, Granny) up to the telescope that very
same night, he usually get abducted too and you get to watch the scene as it
happens (and also the scene where the spacecraft spits him back out again).
The only problem is that Lazlo, the last brother, then wants a baby of his
own for days afterwards, if you can't manage to get him abducted too.

Best wishes
Maxon

"Feäwen" <feawen0704@do-u-yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I'll admit that I'm new to Sims2 ... but I haven't figured out how to get
> sim abducted by aliens... my sim has been staring into that damn
telescope
> for days it seems and nada.. zilch... nothin' more than a backache 'n
full
> bladder.. <g>
>
> 'course you're also talking to someone who can't figure out how to throw a
> party with more than 2 people as an option ... sometimes I really miss
the
> old game ... wasn't as steep a learning curve to just get a house built...
> <g>
>
> feawen

Anonymous
April 21, 2005 2:12:35 AM

Feäwen wrote:
> I'll admit that I'm new to Sims2 ... but I haven't figured out how
> to get a sim abducted by aliens... my sim has been staring into that
> damn telescope for days it seems and nada.. zilch... nothin' more
> than a backache 'n full bladder.. <g>
>
> 'course you're also talking to someone who can't figure out how to
> throw a party with more than 2 people as an option ... sometimes I
> really miss the old game ... wasn't as steep a learning curve to just
> get a house built... <g>
>
> feawen

Cheating is your friend, feawen. <g>

Do this to invite more people to parties. While still in the neighborhood
screen, open the cheat window (Ctrl-shift-c) and type in "intProp
maxNumOfVisitingSims 8" (without the quotes) or any number you want to be
able to invite to a party. Then close the cheat window (type "exit") and
enter the house you want. You only need to enter this cheat once per gaming
session, no matter how many houses you might play, but it only works if
entered in the neighborhood screen.

Once you are in the house, open the cheat window again and type "boolprop
testingCheatsEnabled true" (without the quotes) and close the window. Now
there is any number of things you can do. To force an alien abduction, make
sure you have the expensive telescope outside, make some unsuspecting male
sim the active sim, then shift-click on the telescope and chose "DEBUG-get
abducted." Sit back and enjoy the show. Oh, and you'd better buy a crib.

For an excellent tutorial of all the other neat things you can do with that
cheat, go here and read.
http://groups.msn.com/TheSims2Database/yourwebpage.msnw

Have fun!

Jeanie
April 26, 2005 10:51:59 AM

Maxon wrote:
> No, men don't get the horror of childbirth at all.
>
> At least with war games, you can kill the enemy. You're supposed to nurture
> children and raise them to adulthood.
>
> Perhaps you should ask your husband whether you should stop having lots of
> virtual babies and have several in real life instead (only ask that though
> if he's likely to make a run for it and hide at the back of the sofa).
>
> Who me - bitter and twisted? - no!
> Maxon
>
> "ali" <babaonthenet@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>I know what you mean about being glued to the chair. Hubby was getting
>>miffed-he said, "Stop messing around in your fantasy world and start
>>doing something in real life!" He doesn't get the fascination with the
>>game at all. When I first got it he tried playing it and enjoyed it
>>until his gentleman got abducted and came back preggers. That set him
>>off and he won't touch it now, lol. He'd rather play war games such as
>>Battlefield Vietnam. That relieves his stress, blowing stuff up.
>>
>>Ali

Lol Maxon, we already have two kids and we're done. He wasn't so mad
about the man getting pregnant so much as being stuck with an extra sim
to take care of when he was just learning how to play.

Ali
April 26, 2005 10:55:22 AM

Feäwen wrote:
> I'll admit that I'm new to Sims2 ... but I haven't figured out how to get a
> sim abducted by aliens... my sim has been staring into that damn telescope
> for days it seems and nada.. zilch... nothin' more than a backache 'n full
> bladder.. <g>
>
> 'course you're also talking to someone who can't figure out how to throw a
> party with more than 2 people as an option ... sometimes I really miss the
> old game ... wasn't as steep a learning curve to just get a house built...
> <g>
>
> feawen

>>No, men don't get the horror of childbirth at all.
>>
>>At least with war games, you can kill the enemy. You're supposed to
>
> nurture
>
>>children and raise them to adulthood.
>>
>>Perhaps you should ask your husband whether you should stop having lots of
>>virtual babies and have several in real life instead (only ask that though
>>if he's likely to make a run for it and hide at the back of the sofa).
>>
>>Who me - bitter and twisted? - no!
>>Maxon
>>
>>"ali" <babaonthenet@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>I know what you mean about being glued to the chair. Hubby was getting
>>>miffed-he said, "Stop messing around in your fantasy world and start
>>>doing something in real life!" He doesn't get the fascination with the
>>>game at all. When I first got it he tried playing it and enjoyed it
>>>until his gentleman got abducted and came back preggers. That set him
>>>off and he won't touch it now, lol. He'd rather play war games such as
>>>Battlefield Vietnam. That relieves his stress, blowing stuff up.
>>>
>>>Ali

You can't invite more than 2 people to a party because that is the most
that your processor will allow the game to run. The higher your
processor speed, the more people you can invite. I have the same
problem, fortunately I'll be getting an upgrade soon.

Ali
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 8:26:09 PM

> You can't invite more than 2 people to a party because that is the
> most that your processor will allow the game to run. The higher your
> processor speed, the more people you can invite. I have the same
> problem, fortunately I'll be getting an upgrade soon.
>
> Ali

Try going to your neighborhood view, opening the cheat box and typing in

intlProp maxNumOfVisitingSims 50

Then when you go into your house, you can invite as many people as your sim
knows. Remember, though, that not all of them will come. You can set that
final number to any number you want, like 8 or 10 or whatever.

I have a P4, 2.00 Ghz processor and it still only gives me the option to
invite 2 sims unless I use this cheat. I've had as many as 12 guests using
it.

Jeanie
May 2, 2005 4:20:59 PM

Jeanie wrote:
>>You can't invite more than 2 people to a party because that is the
>>most that your processor will allow the game to run. The higher your
>>processor speed, the more people you can invite. I have the same
>>problem, fortunately I'll be getting an upgrade soon.
>>
>>Ali
>

> Try going to your neighborhood view, opening the cheat box and typing in
>
> intlProp maxNumOfVisitingSims 50
>
> Then when you go into your house, you can invite as many people as your sim
> knows. Remember, though, that not all of them will come. You can set that
> final number to any number you want, like 8 or 10 or whatever.
>
> I have a P4, 2.00 Ghz processor and it still only gives me the option to
> invite 2 sims unless I use this cheat. I've had as many as 12 guests using
> it.
>
> Jeanie

Well my hubby was able to invite 8 sims with his computer and I will be
getting his this weekend as he is building himself a new one. So now I
am in the process of backing everything up to transfer to the new
machine. You sure have been a wonderful fountain of information for me
Jeanie, thank you so much!

Ali
Anonymous
May 2, 2005 10:56:21 PM

thanx for the tip.. I'll try that next. Right now I'm trying to get my
alien lovechild from infant to toddler ... I just loved watching the father
(mother?) waddle through the house ... "Allie" was born a lovely shade of
green... LOL

feawen

!