Computer Keeps turning off ?

Kurupt

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2009
So i upgraded a computer for a friend of mine with a new mobo, gpu, cpu, hd, and ram.

It worked fine the first 2 weeks she had it but now all of a sudden she says it keeps turning off on her after like 20 minutes or so. But, somedays it doesn't turn off at all.

I gave her my old 300 wat psu and i think that might be the reason for it turning off on her.

Her cpu is an Intel Celeron E1400 and the gpu is an radieon x300 se.

Its not like she is running a high end computer, but i still think that maybe the psu is either too old or cant handle the rig.

What do you guys think ? Could there be any other part that is causing the computer to shut off after some periods of use

It depends on the CPU and the BIOS configuration. Is there a setting in the BIOS to shutdown the PC when it gets that hot? Does it shutdown when it reaches 85°C or when it gets even hotter than that?

A Celeron E1400 definitely should run much cooler than that, even at 100% CPU utilization. Either the fan isn't spinning or the heatsink isn't making good contact with the CPU. This can happen if one pin wasn't fully inserted or damaged.

TRENDING THREADS