[HELP!] CPU / Motherboard problem

jacosajh

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011
Background: I've had this for about a year now, and had it on the same overclock settings. Then just about a day ago, it died and wouldn't turn back on.

Equipment:
CPU: Core i5 750 OC'ed to 3.4Ghz
Mobo: MSI P55M-G45
RAM: 2x4 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1600Mhz
VGA: XFX HD 5770 1GB
HDD: 1 TB HDD 7200 RPM 32MB Cache
PSU: Antech Earthwatts 650W
Heatsink: Cooler Master Hyper 212+

What I've already done:
-Tested the PSU in another computer (and the shorting test)
-Tested various different sticks of RAM
-Tested the video card in another system
-Reseated the CPU and Heatsink
-Reset CMOS battery

What I haven't done:
-Tested the CPU or Motherboard in another system (I don't have another 1156 Mobo or CPU)

YouTube Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OTDaey9KKs

So, I'm pretty sure it's something to do with the Mobo or CPU.

As you can see in the YouTube video, I've taken out the entire system and tested it outside the case on a cardboard box. The system powers on for a second, turns on all the fans, LED 1 turns on, and then everything immediately powers off. You can hear the visible click of the PSU.

I was wondering if anyone else could help me. Since I've had it going for about a year now, I'm really weirded out that this happened sponteanously. I did do a Prime95 test and noticed the heat getting up to 70 C, but that was after a few hours and I thought that was going to be the max temp. I left for a little bit, and found that the computer had shut off. Having OC'ed some before, I thought this was normal, so I tried to turn it back on, being greeted with the same results as described in the above (and in the video). I've stress tested it before, with these same settings and it was at about 65 C. I just figured the fans had gotten a little dusty since then, and it was going to hit 70 C. Even still, I've had this CPU up to 75ish before when I was first tuning my OC, so I figured it could handle it. Or that it would just power off if it got too hot.

Anyways, does anyone have any insights since I can't test it in another Mobo / CPU? Is it the CPU? Mobo?

suteck

Distinguished
First step - reset the bios to the original settings. If there isn't a reset switch on the mobo then unplug and remove the cmos battery for a few seconds and reinsert. Then try powering back up. I know it's an old build but if you follow the steps in my sig that will eliminate any of the simple things. If it doesn't boot with only the basic equip, cpu, vid, 1 stick ram and post to bios and you have already eliminated the psu as a potential problem, (if you put yours in a different build to try it can you try using the other psu in your current build?), then most likely something on the motherboard shorted. Those temps look normal so I don't believe you burned anything up but there might have been a power surge of some sort and that's what caused your problem.

jacosajh

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011
I did remove the CMOS battery again, and that didn't work.

I've also tried the PSU in another system and it did work.

I thought those temps "looked normal" for Stress Testing, so that's why I wasn't worried about.

This is why I thought it would be the CPU or the Mobo (some have said MSI mobos are crappy for OCing because of VRM quality).

Any other thoughts?

jacosajh

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011
ALOT of people are saying MSI boards are blowing up due to 4+1 Phase Power Designs. Could this be the reason why my board blew up?

Just kinda confused since I have an Intel and most of the people in this thread are talking about AMDs. I also haven't done any unlocking, so I thought since the CPU was compatible with the board, I would be fine by overclocking it some, especially with an alright heatsink.

http://www.overclock.net/amd-motherboards/870497-my-computer-burst-into-flames-msi.html

jacosajh

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011
Yeah, after reading the MSI User Guide, it shows that the 1 LED means it's in 1 Phase Power Mode. This was always in full (4 LED) power mode when I used it before.

I'm not sure if this means that the CPU is fried and it's turning off before it even gets past 1 Phase, or if it's jthe mobo that's busted.

TRENDING THREADS